Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 51 Chevy P/U Daily Driver Build Thread

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Chevy54, Mar 15, 2011.

1. Chevy54

Chevy54
    from Orange, CA

So I got the re-pop Fulton style visor installed yesterday ( ive been looking forward to this since before I bought the truck!). All went well and im stoked with the look!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I also got the new 12volt wiper motor installed along with the arms..very simple with the set up from Classic parts.

[​IMG]

The pics may not be as fun from here on out as its going to be rubber seals, gaskets and wiring, but ill keep posting them!

2. Big Nick

Big Nick

awesome! Im so far behind, I gotta get poppin on mine!

3. modelamac

modelamac

Damn!
    Can you hurry up and get us a picture of this thing sitting on the wheels flat on the ground? LOL!

You're killing me! I can't wait to see how this thing sits by using the drop axle.. etc.

LOOKS GREAT... so far, killer job! Love the color choice, love the truck.

keep up the good work and keep us posted I can't wait to see the finished product!

4. pregrid

pregrid

wow, just wow. sub'd

5. Roadsterpu

Roadsterpu

Looks great, man Fantastic job.

6. Chevy54

Chevy54
    from Orange, CA

Yeah buddy....Last I saw you were gettin ready to take it apart! Ive gotta search for your thread and catch up on your progress.

Hah, I wanna see it down too man...the ground were it sits is on a bigger slope then it looks, tryn to get erverything done before it sits all crooked! Im also courious what all that suspension money spent will look like when weighted up!

Thanks bro!!

Thanx Paul...its almost ready for a breakfast!! Im starting the wiring..i may be callin u:eek::D

7. Really looks like you're moving along! Such a nice truck....

8. Chevy54

Chevy54
    from Orange, CA

Thanx Bob! 12 days before I go to Maine...wanna run it before I go!

9. Chevy54

Chevy54
    from Orange, CA

Did bunch of small stuff today, garnish moldings, mirriors,running board gaskets and some other stuff...including bringing the drive shaft that was in it to get shortened a bit. The new rear springs changed positions...its always something!

Got the fuse box installed and going to start wiring tomorro
    [​IMG]

Super nice setup from Rebel Wire...very reasonable too
    [​IMG]

Took the cluster apart and installed the new gauges
    [​IMG]

Done and cleaned up
    [​IMG]

Heres a cool little thing..Im guessing the build or install date
    [​IMG]

10. Eric, if you wanna finish the exhaust yourself look at Cone Engineering. They're local you can get 90, 180, stainless, steel and they're an alliance vendor. I got some stainless tube for radiator hose from them.

http://www.coneeng.com/

"counterpart"....you've been shopping at classic industries haven't you :). Where did you take the driveshaft to?.

Last edited: Aug 11, 2011
  11. Chevy54

Chevy54
    from Orange, CA

Thanx Dan, Ill check them out...id like to finish myself! I got those from The Truck Shop....most of the other stuff I got from Classis Parts. I took the drive shaft to a place up by the 22 n Beach Blvd in Garden Grove...forgot the name at the moment.

12. og54chevy

og54chevy

i hate u erick and ur ride coming out nice

13. og54chevy

og54chevy

j/k erick ur ride coing out nuts bro

14. BadLuck

BadLuck

damn looks great buddy.. that Rebel wire kit is super easy to install.. i have one in mine..and that visor is straight up gangsta hahaha! love it :)

15. Chevy54

Chevy54
    from Orange, CA

Hahah...yeah ive been gettin a bunch of that!:D

Gotta be a G!!:cool::D

16. Great looking truck, I really like the color

17. thirdstreettito

thirdstreettito

Lookin better by the day!

18. Chevy54

Chevy54
    from Orange, CA

Thanx fellas!

So my buddy Dante (Lowsprings) showed up today and saved me on the alignment of the nose on this thing. It wasnt great before I took it apart and it was not close and fighting me all the way! Like a hour later he had it better then factory! Thanx homie!

[​IMG]

19. D-man313

D-man313

The rebel wiring harness is very easy to install and get everything wired. Just got done wiring everything on my 49 and i am very happy with the rebel kit.

20. philly the greek

philly the greek
    from so . cal.

See what happens when you call the "right" guy . After seeing the before alignment , he deffinetly has some skills . You're moving along very well and I can't wait to see it pull up in front of my shop !

21. 53chevy

53chevy

Oh man, I need to call Dante b/c I can't align my hood for the life of me and will be repainting the hood and front fenders soon. Lookin realy nice too!!

Ken

22. Chevy54

Chevy54
    from Orange, CA

Hey D...it goes together pretty nicely and is simple n clean...I wish the directions were a bit more informative (without being to hard to understand) for us non electrical guys:D But I had Dan (Crazzydaddyo) stop by after Anti-Breakfast saturday and answer my novice questions!:confused:

Yeah Phill..Dante made short work out of it and made me say "I was doing that and it wasnt helping!!":rolleyes: Catch u soon man!

He made it look easy man!

Last edited: Aug 16, 2011
  23. low springs

low springs
    from Long Beach

it was no sweat, glad your happy with it. let me know if you have any other alignment issues come up. im just a phone call away.

by the way the color looks great on the truck. nice choice

24. D-man313

D-man313

Ya i hear ya the directions could have been more detailed

25. Chevy54

Chevy54
    from Orange, CA

Yeah...the door next weekend! :D

Once it was all laid out it was real nice to work with, I really dug the way it was all ran thru the fuse panel. When I wired my 54 I used Ron Francis setup...what a pain in the ass wiring in the panel and all! Id def by Rebel kit again!

26. Chevy54

Chevy54
    from Orange, CA

Still wiring away...It takes so much longer then you think when your trying to make it look clean and simple...plus running it all through the loom and drilling firewall in the right spot take time too!

I built a open style cover for the radio and added a ciggerette lighter on each side of the face plate so I would not have to have phone chargers etc. hanging off the dash. The deck will slide in from the front and use a remote to contol it all, plus my Ipod connection can come up thru the seat instead of across the floor, it bugs me in my 54 as Im always hiding the cord!
    [​IMG]

Its getting there...and yes it'll all be tied up nice and sepperate when Im finished.
    [​IMG]

Heater box installed, the firewall pad was kind of a pain because it need to be there to drill thru but of course you drill thru it and the bits want to tear up the jute insulation
    [​IMG]

Radiator ins now in and Im trying to keep the firewall pretty clean, when everything is cleaned up it should look pretty good.
    [​IMG]

Headlights installed and finished all the lighting last night. All the wiring thats left is just the gauges and collum...then ill install the stereo system when the doors are on.
    [​IMG]

27. SWAMPDONKEY

SWAMPDONKEY

looks great eric .

28. onedge

onedge

I have always liked the non metallic fire resistant auto loom (looks like it to me). Nice touch with the wiring kit install. Looks the part.

29. scootermcrad

scootermcrad
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Looks REALLY nice, man! Whatever you don't use from the massive roll of asphalt covering I will buy from you.

30. Roadsterpu

Roadsterpu

Looks incredible. Dante really did a god job of adjusting that front end. Looks better than the factory ever had it. Can't wait to see it in person.