Register now to get rid of these ads!

1930 sport coupe into a roadster?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Chucky, Aug 11, 2011.

1. Would it be easy or not to convert a sport coupe into a roadster? I realize the windshield is formed into the car, and the door frames could be buzzed down. It's hard to tell from pictures if the sheet metal is so different that it would end up looking dumb????? Any ideas would be great - except the idea of "why don't you just go buy a roadster?".......:D

2. Try the search function. There has been a few done here that ive seen.

3. fiveohnick2932

fiveohnick2932
    from Napa, Ca.

finally sombody that calls a sport coupe a "sport coupe" and not a model A "3 window coupe"

4. aaggie

aaggie

Many have been built and they are called Coupesters.

5. It would be easier to convert a "sport coupe" into a "cabriolet" than converting a "sport coupe" into a "roadster".

6. texas rattler

texas rattler
    from texas

one of the best reasons to buil a coupster is about 6'' or more room.and me being 6'5" i need all the leg room i can get.plus the doors are longer for easyer entry/exit.

7. thanks for the enlightenment!

8. rawkie

rawkie

do the roadster doors fit? if so run those if u can find some

9. SlamCouver

SlamCouver
    from Brazil, IL

Roadster doors will not fit. Save your money and buy a roadster or build a sport coupe.

10. dmw56

dmw56

I have a 29 Model A 3 window and I'm going to build it as a roadster! :D

11. F&J

F&J

Here is a coupster from ebay years ago..28 or 29, but you get the idea...I like this car a lot, don't know if it's a hamber. I don't care if it's not a real roadster. This one is cool.

Cabriolet is not a bad idea either, for that cold climate..

Attached Files:

12. Tank

Tank

The thing I hate about coupes, cabriolets, and sport coupes being turned into roadsters/"coupesters" is most people dont mess with the width of the doors after they cut the posts off. They are horribly too wide! Roadster doors, since there is no glasss, are nice and narrow and look right! Coupe doors are wide and most people just weld over the window opening which makes for a big bulky wide looking door.... You can see it in the pics above. The area behind the door also needs attention after the roof is removed also. Trying to get it to look correct and flow with the doors takes a lot of carful planning and execution. It can be done, I know of one personally that you honestly cant tell ever was a coupe, but most just dont look right. My opinion, leave it a sport coupe!

13. Go to a few shows and look for one. I have only seen a couple in my entire life that came out good. Most of them look terrible. The ones that looked good required so much work that they should have just started with a roadster. Look up "coupster" in the search function.

Charlie Stephens

14. scrap metal 48

scrap metal 48

Sport coupe, heavy chop, very cool.....

15. The37Kid

The37Kid

Who started this trend, Sport Coupe to faux Roadster? I'd love to find a Sport Coupe and keep it as a Sport Coupe.

16. Spark Plug

Spark Plug
    from Duvall, WA

If you already have a sport coupe and want to make it a "coupester" I say go for it. Build it how you want it.

Built this "coupster" for my dad. Decision to use the sport coupe was based on the fact he had it and it gave him way more leg room to stretch out his arthritic legs. I agree the door tops are a bit wide, but I can overlook that in exchange for the extra leg room. I think the belt trim around the back helps to complete the conversion. I think it came out looking pretty good.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Not sure if on a '30 you could modify the cowl and bolt on roadster windshield stanchions like I did on the '29.

17. erlomd

erlomd

id say keep it a coupe...save yourself the trouble...it looks killer as a coupe anyway

18. Shaggy

Shaggy
    from Sultan, WA

Yea but it really takes away from that gorilla riding a tricycle look that many of us love. I'm 6'1" 220 and am building a 27 roadster.... I just took 8" out of the top too!!!