Register now to get rid of these ads!

New Banger block in the works.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 58custom, Aug 11, 2011.

1. 58custom

58custom

2. MrModelT

MrModelT

That is AWESOME! :D I wonder if it will be a 5-main block instead of 3-main? Cast in aluminum? Wonder what the comp ratio is on the new head?

mctim64 likes this.
  3. Artiki

Artiki
    from Brum...

Holy shitola!

volvobrynk likes this.
  4. Mmmm, new T block... MMMmmmm...

[​IMG]

5. GreggAz

GreggAz

His post says the block is A not T. That's even more exciting.

6. His OP on the other site IS a little confusing as to whether it's a T or an A that he's talking about, isn't it?!

7. 58custom

58custom

Yup, I suck. He says it is an A block. Sorry, guys. He also says he's tooling up for a high compression T head.

8. Twelvizm

Twelvizm

Awesome work!

Now get to work on a crossflow head for an Buick I8 :p

9. 427designer

427designer
    from Ohio

Hello gentlemen,

I'm Tod Buttermore, and new to this forum. As you can see I have a new Model A block underway, which I hope to have sample cast this fall or winter. I don't have alot of time to work on it since I machine parts for Snyder's Antique Auto Parts all day everyday. But after pecking away at it here and there I am finally getting near to casting a sample. Hopefully this will be a viable option to old and repaired original blocks. This block will have a pressurized oiling system and will accept stock sytled parts for final assembly.

I hope to sell them through Snyder's, mainly. As they are not yet ready for retail, please do not contact Snyder's for any details.

Tod Buttermore

j-jock likes this.
  10. 427designer

427designer
    from Ohio

Since August I have been busy with other projects (like Snyder's new 6 to 1 head, and the Prus Model T head, and a new Model A header). But lately things have gained momentum and I am starting to test assemble the new A block core pack in its sand mold. This will allow me to make sure everything is right before core boxes are poured and a casting is made. So far, everything looks good.

Tod Buttermore

11. Very cool. Keep us updated!

12. 427designer

427designer
    from Ohio

As of now, all CNC pattern work is complete and I am test fitting the core assembly. So far, everything is looking very nice. I have 4 core boxes to finish from their current "core plug" state. Then I will be pouring the first couple of samples. With my current work load I expect 2-3 months and I will have sample castings. That puts samples at the end of January or early February of 2013.

Tod

13. 427designer

427designer
    from Ohio

Well, I finally had time to finish the pattern after letting things sit for so long. Yesterday 3/20/2014 we poured the first sample casting. I am very pleased with the results. Now it is time to set it up and machine it.

Tod

14. nailheadroadster

nailheadroadster

Are you able to "leak" and specs on the new casting? ;)

15. draider

draider
    from Texas

Very exciting news! I'm subscribing for pics of the machined block. :D

16. 427designer

427designer
    from Ohio

If anyone wants some private info (a pic or 2) on the block, email me (or PM). Keep in mind, these will not be ready to go to market until I make fixturing, write the machining program, and even sample a few more (4-6 months?). I have several people wanting these already and I will probably let some friends have the first few for testing. I have confidence in the work but you never know what can crop up once things get underway.

Tod

17. drtrcrV-8

drtrcrV-8

Will these have enough "meat" in the mains to machine for "B" cranks? Do you see offering them with unfinished valve train machine machining for the overhead crowd? Anything to the 5-main rumors? (If so, someone will need to start repoping HAL cranks!) ...it never ends...LOL

18. cayager

cayager

that's one heck of a project. any idea what a retail figure would be on something like this? just curious that's all.

19. New cranks are available already for 5 mains.

John

Attached Files:

20. Al in Ny

Al in Ny

johnneilson: Where can the new 5 main bearing Model A cranks be purchased and what machining is required to have them fit a standard Model A block?

21. This is some if the best news I've heard in a while!! Can't wait to see a finished product!!!

22. Al,

Cranks are custom made by Henry Velasco (CA), Moldex (MI)and SCAT (CA)

I am sure others can and do make them, bring your checkbook.

The picture in my earlier post is a girdle assy with crank ready to be bolted to block. These girdles are approx. 3.6" thick and the pan adds another 4 1/2".

Sorry, the "A" block has the main bolts too close together to run a "B" size main bearing. There is a Saturn bearing that allows for the crank journals to be sized down to 1.850Ø and fit very close to the "A" bolts without having to move them or reduce the dia. The best bet is to locate a "B" block and take advantage of the lube system. A good ref book is by Jim Brierley called 4 Bangers and Me. available from FAST (www.hotforhotfours.com)

This pic shows the bottom ready for the pistons and rods to be installed.

This stuff is way overkill for a street driven vehicle and even at that we joke about getting 10 miles of run out of one. Two passes at Bonneville is all that is required, 5 miles each.

John

Attached Files:

23. Kiwi Tinbender

Kiwi Tinbender

John--I look forward to seeing your `two passes` at Speed Week this year. Red Hat ready?

24. drtrcrV-8

drtrcrV-8

To "Johnneilson"(post #19): "You got some 'splainin' to do" : Just what is that 'lurking' in the background of your '5-main' shot???

25. drtrcrV-8

drtrcrV-8

to "427designer" : Hello Tod! What have you changed in the alloys you're using to pour the new blocks? Are you going with a 'high-nickle' alloy ,or other modern updates to the original alloys; & if you do change alloys, the 'down-stream' machine shops would certainly appreciate a 'heads-up' as to required tooling for any new alloys! These most certainly will be 'hopped-up', so stronger alloys make a lot of sense for durability! Please don't take these questions as any form of criticism: I Totally applaud someone producing a replacement for the now 80 yr old casting, especially if 'visual-correctness' with the original is maintained; it will mean that someone doing a restoration won't have to worry about the old parts possibly suffering from metal fatigue, & still be 'judging-acceptable' for the purist!

26. 427designer

427designer
    from Ohio

Hi drtrcrV-8,

I am using the same alloy as my 351 Cleveland project. It is plenty sufficient for what horsepower stock and stock-styled parts will allow. I have also increased casting thicknesses. Since I machine blocks myself I am comfortable with the castings. Previous blocks of mine own NHRA national records, so I am confident in being able to make this part.

I also expect plenty of criticism. In the after market auto parts industry the forums are loaded with critics. I went with 'visual correctness' first, and added improvements from there.

Tod

j-jock likes this.
  27. 427 Designer,
    Does your design include provisions for the 5-main crank?

Dave

28. 427designer

427designer
    from Ohio

Not yet, Dave. It is a minor addition than I planned from the start but have not made yet.

Tod

29. Is it August yet?? coming faster than you know.
    Red Hat? yeah, I am ready, just not sure the planets will align for me.
    Or, the 50 mph tail wind.......

John

30. No not really, it is a DOHC Cobra head.
    Did some flow testing before trying to stretch it to fit.
    Ports not good enough to use, found something better.

John