Register now to get rid of these ads!

60'-70's Vintage Oval Track Modifieds

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by john56h, Apr 11, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ds112

ds112
    from florida

Dr john remember andy haileys car had the small pictures of women all over it crazy old aj. happy birthday Jerry!
    Doug

2. yvan lacroix

yvan lacroix

Actually it had 3 that made it to the track in one form or another, don't forget the wagon version!
    [​IMG]

3. Terry1

Terry1

True. George Savory always had a nice clean wagon. Was the T-5 a Vega wagon ? I thought someone mentioned it wasn't.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 9, 2011
  4. Zoera

Zoera

They ran a Pinto wagon.

5. BigFeet13

BigFeet13
    BANNED

It almost looks like a Monza wagon, but that would have to be late 70's

6. Terry1

Terry1

Yes it was a Pinto. I remember reading that now.

7. JBull

JBull
    from NY

Out of the "new style bodies" of the early 70's, I preferred the pintos the least. I was a vega man.....

Jarzombek

[​IMG]

Bodine

[​IMG]

Radford

[​IMG]

Stevens

[​IMG]

Hendrickson

[​IMG]

Gary Cretty

[​IMG]

Ricky Lutz

[​IMG]

Gary Reichert

[​IMG]

Gary Winters

[​IMG]

George Wagner

[​IMG]

Don Howe

[​IMG]

Roger Treichler

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Bob Polverari

[​IMG]

Jim Landry

[​IMG]

Lew Hennesey

[​IMG]

Tom McCann

[​IMG]

Sal Accardi

[​IMG]

John Rosati

[​IMG]

8. [​IMG]

IMHO one of the most beautiful Modifieds ever. Gentleman Jim Hendrickson. Knowing when enough is enough.

9. leadfoot4

leadfoot4

If I remember correctly, the Turner crew used to pull the "tin" off this car, and also run it as a supermodified, at Oswego speedway.....In fact, it looks like the Oswego wall in the background of the picture.

10. hugh m

hugh m
    from ct.

Need some more oldies on here. The Buick is the Curtis brothers, ran quite well with Whitey Branierd (sp), think the rocket ship may be related to Frank Marrotta, the other cutdown I think is from R.I.

Attached Files:

11. indybigjohn

indybigjohn
    Member Emeritus

I think the fact that there were Pintos, Gremlins, Vegas, etc. made it much more interesting. Not like today's NASCAR where they all look alike.

12. JBull

JBull
    from NY

After my statement about the vegas....I couldn't wait to see what new creation this man was building each year....pinto or not...

Some more Maynard Troyer...most 72 to 74 era....

Fred Smith photo...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

with Dick Clark 16x cuda and the coach of Don Diffendorf S/360

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

battling Eddie Pienezak

[​IMG]

13. JBull

JBull
    from NY

a few more of Mr. Troyer while I got 'em scanned in....

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Maynard beating the #99 Valiant of Geoff Bodine and the #88 Coach of Mike Loescher to the stripe at Spencer Speedway

[​IMG]

another Fred Smith photo

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

chasing Paul Radford at Martinsville...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Getting "bested" by Gary Reichert in the #18 at the Port City 150 at Oswego

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

14. Zoera

Zoera

The 37 Central Garage modified in the background is Sparky Belmont, who was very successful at the Stafford Fairgrounds in 1954. Cool cutdown photos. Driver info?

15. stevehmiel

stevehmiel

Thanks for the picture of Troyer's pinto with the hood off. Pinstriped upper control arms and sway bar arms topped off by the map of NY signifying him as the champion. How cool is all that? Only thing better was his Falcon from 1970. A lot of us saw things on that car we had never seen before on a modified. We were so young and dumb not only did we not know anything, we didn't even suspect anything!

16. hugh m

hugh m
    from ct.

That's about when Whitey ran there too...the others are old photos shot by R L Wilkenson from old scrapbook shots, maybe an oldtimer will spot them with more info. (Neat to see these modern shots, but the moderators won't like too many on here....)

17. I loved the coupe and coach days but, the transition period was really neat. You would never know what would pull out on the track next. As the coaches faded the coupes hung on as the Camaros, Mustangs, Falcons and Covairs came in.
    Then it was the Coupes beginning to fade, (a tear drop) and the so called Pinto revolution came on strong. I need not tell any of you this, most are more informed then I. But to me at 61, those were the golden days of modified racing for me.

18. leadfoot4

leadfoot4

I agree!

I was pretty young back then, didn't have my own car, so I was dependant on other people to get to the track. They, for the most part, would leave as soon as the races were over, so I never got down to the pits after the races, to get a good look at the cars. It's very interesting to finally be able to see what one of Maynard's cars looked like "under the hood".

I'm a tad younger, at 59, but I agree.....

19. retroridesbyrich

retroridesbyrich
    from Central NC

Even though the glory days of modified racing is in the past; pavement modifieds are still the sexiest looking race cars to make a left turn!

20. kt

kt

scan0001.jpg

An early Maynard Troyer shot. This shot was taken in the early sixties ('61-'63) outside MT's Cabinet business in Sarasota Florida. MT ran at Sarasota-Bradenton(now Desoto) during that period. That is a pristine '49 Ford. Note the white pants/uniform......photo by mom

21. kt

kt

black and white.jpg

A detailed shot of Maynard's first white Pinto when he struck out on his own in 1978. He left Nagle Ford over the winter to start Troyer Engineering and this car gathered the "spoils" first time out at the '78 Sizzler at Stafford Springs. It also won 36 of 54 events entered that year.....photo unknown

22. Terry1

Terry1

Does anyone remember Troyer making a northeast swing one weekend in the 70's ? I'm talking about a Stafford/Seekonk/Thompson trip. I wonder if it was after he went on his own to show what he had to potential customers. I had only read about him in Speedway Scene ( what ever happen to that paper anyway ). When I went to seekonk on a Saturday night, I almost **** when I saw that beautiful hauler. There were all the locals with ramp trucks and trailers and Troyer with a masterpiece. It was stated above that he split with Nagle in 1978, but it seemed earlier to me.

23. bob zeigler ,seen in the press clipping of troyer lapping the field at evans mills photo was a real strong runner in northern n.y in the early 60's any info available???

24. leadfoot4

leadfoot4

"Terry", if anybody in the entire world, would know when MT split from Nagle's, KT would know.........

25. leadfoot4

leadfoot4

KT, was that mural done by "Spook"?

26. Terry1

Terry1

I meant by my own recollection as to when he made the trip. I didn't have my license yet in 1978, so I tagged along with my brother. So I was wondering when he actually came through my area.

27. Flyin'Brian12

Flyin'Brian12

Dick Clark in the 16x, and Kenny Troyer in the 88x. Fred Smith photo

Attached Files:

28. Rentawrench

Rentawrench

I remember that nose piece, when MT came to Westboro,Ma an Flipped the White 6. MT OK check, Wrap nose up in blanket check, then work on car for consi. MT tried, but wrecked the new rad( only bunnge corded in.

MT drove Armstrong one in Feature,Geoff in Taylor 99, Capt Sizzle in his car with "borrowed Big Block Hutter"-Just Glad Big George & Jerry Cook let me Help MT that race( consi)

29. ralphdrocketman

ralphdrocketman

This is a photo from Lynchmob "To the victor belong the spoils" note that it's different than KT's previous post. I believe this is the nose from the next car (1979) Because the engine position in this car was not tilted to the side like the first Troyer Engineering white car. KT perhaps you could add something to what I can remember... Leadfoot4, this air brush work is signed by Spook...

Attached Files:

30. JBull

JBull
    from NY

A few more of MT from the 72 to 74 era

I believe Maynard breaking in the '72 ROC at Trenton with eventual winner and runner up Geoff Bodine in the #99 Valiant and Paul Radford in the #26 Gremlin going by in the background....

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

a Fred Smith photo

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

double trouble

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

a Len Calinoff photo of MT at Islip

[​IMG]