Register now to get rid of these ads!

misused discriptions that irritate or annoy you

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by rustdodger, Aug 13, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Once a fella hooked me up with his kid sister and he said, "She is a Fox" well she looked just like him with boobs and a big butt. Made it real hard to put my arm around her.

That annoyed the hell out of me. ;)

2. Dave50

Dave50

Something thats been hit on already is RAT ROD!! I am sick of listening to people call the nostalgic Hot RODS,etc some of us have rat rods i know some people just dont know but they should. Muscle cars are muscle cars and Hot Rods and Street rods are street rods

3. A Rodder

A Rodder

Calling a "hot rod" a "street rod"

4. "Barn find" so many people who stumble across an old car think they have a barn find.
    "one lady owner"
    "never been driven in the rain"

5. chrisntx

chrisntx
    from Texas .

To over-define an endeaver in order to elevate and justify your stance on it, is to surgically extract the fun from it through the anus...-Kilroy

How about endeavOr? :)

6. chrisntx

chrisntx
    from Texas .

might be a Canadian thing but I dont think you will find any 53 Dodges or Plymouths in HotRod magazines from the 40s or 50s.

7. The older of two Brock's?

And I have three pet peeves that turn up all the time in the classifieds, in addition to other places:

The use of terms like "rare" to describe fairly common parts. Just because you've only ever seen one, does not mean it's actually a 'rare' part.

Ads that do not include pictures. Now, I understand if you're selling a pitman arm, you may not need a picture to go along with the description, but if you're trying to sell your car, don't you think a picture or two might help generate some interest? Maybe that's just me.

And finally, sellers who bump their item by saying various forms of "last chance". Because usually they continue to bump their item once a week after that. Everyone knows your bluffing when you say that, so give up already!

Last edited: Aug 8, 2011
  8. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

The term add adds used as an abbreviation for advertisement or advertisements, instead of ad or ads.;)

9. LN7 NUT

LN7 NUT

Interesting, where I am a jockey box is normally a locking box you carry in your truck.

I feel bad for Americans and that title BS, I saved a 59 Suburban limo out of Montana in 2008 (brought it home last summer) and it had no title, everyone I talked to said it would be impossible to get a title for it and I should just scrap it... but once my dad and I figured out how the Montana system works we were able to get one easily.

Here is Alberta if I buy a car sitting in a field with just a bill of sale, I can build it, get it safety inspected, they do a vin search to make sure it's not stolen or has a lien on it and then it's legal, takes all of 20 minutes of effort.

Maybe he was warning you she had rabies and was likely to eat your cat? ;)

I see that a lot too, what difference does rain make anyway? what if you wash it, will the value go down?

I agree, there will not be a lot of 53 Dodges of plymouths in magazines from the 40's... LOL, but they do exist. Not to start an argument, but out of curiousity does a car have to be the same make and model of one that was a magazine feature car in order to be a traditional rod?

10. kkustomz

kkustomz
    from Texas

" I just installed a new dizzy"

Dizzy is what i get when my blood pressure is high, its not in my engine firing my spark plugs

11. I Drag

I Drag

"Rare". How rare can it be if there's one right in front of you?

12. Thorkle Rod

Thorkle Rod

"past history" is my favorite, Like duh! as compared to future history!!!!

13. My friend from Oklahoma calls the hodd and fenders "doghouse". To me a "front clip" can be hood and fenders or front subframe/suspension; maybe "doghouse" is a good term to avoid confusion. Unless you are talking about an early Econoline type van; then it's the engine cover.

14. ironfly28

ironfly28
    from Orange, CA

I noticed that. It's a quote though. In other words, I copied and pasted.

I never said I was perfect or that people don't make mistakes. I'm not damning all those who make gramatical errors or, don't know all of the english language's crazy rules. My point is that if you are going to write copy you should put some effort into trying to look intelligent. Otherwise, people will begin to form stereotypes about car guys.
    What happened to our schools? They've taken away the programs that are "unnecesary" (sp?) such as art, and auto shop and now kids not only are terrible at english but, they don't know how to make things with their hands. it makes me sad, and a little bit scared.

15. hahaha. Of course I would make a spelling mistake on THIS thread...

16. Slippery

Slippery

....people that use the word 'seen' when it should be 'saw', like "I seen him yesterday".

How about "I could care less". I believe it's "I couldn't care less". Think about it.

...and what the hell is a sireeeen?

Doug

17. seabeecmc

seabeecmc
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I could care less? Ron

18. My ex-(as of last week)girlfriend did this. 46 years old, you'd think she could speak properly by now. Correcting her did no good, just wouldn't learn, no matter how much time spent in the cage.

19. rhad

rhad
    from garnett ks

"restomod"
    yuck!!!!!!!

20. Weasel

Weasel

"Straight axle" when it is a dropped axle and they mean solid axle....

21. tjmercury

tjmercury

How about "It ran when I parked it." Ummmm.......no sh*t Sherlock! But was that before or after the raccoons played tag inside, or the pack rat made a hotel out of the engine bay?

22. stubbsrodandcustom

stubbsrodandcustom
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Spring tx

And always somewhere....

"Minimal filler" or "Pretty Solid body"

23. R Frederick

R Frederick
    from illinois

STRAIGHT AXLE

DAMMIT I HATE THAT!!!! 9 times out of 10 it's a drop I beam.:rolleyes:

24. nada book value ??? they don't know we are in a recession..????

25. Fenders

Fenders

So if the ad didn't say that, the first question the lookie-loo would ask would be "Was it running when you parked it?"

I've got a '55 hemi that was running when I pulled it out of the DeSoto, but if I go to sell the motor I guess I can't say that, can I?

26. Some times they are broken when parked. "It ran when I parked it." is often true.

27. when looking at an off topic truck on craigslist i noticed the seller had mentioned it was equipped with "three roll seating"...jeez man, you would think at some point he would have thought to himself why in the hell they would call it that haha

28. JJK

JJK

Camero, type it into any CL search engine and enjoy.

29. "Fully Restored" and you look at the photo and see: color change paint, Cragars, high back buckets, and a ton of Chinese chrome and fake braided lines under hood.

What you meant to say was : "Repainted"

30. X2:confused:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.