Register now to get rid of these ads!

sCARey Fabrication? Looking for other posts--

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by hemifalcon, Aug 10, 2011.

1. hemifalcon

hemifalcon

Well, i was just looking around the internet, when I was on the 348-409 website--and there was a link for some street races which were held in Sioux City, IA. Well, i thought I'd check out the pics, and there wasn't anything too cool, but then I found this.

Those heim joints look like they are for a go-kart or something--
    Some things--just shouldn't be put on the road-- and unless the owner really hates that girl driving, shame on them.

Attached Files:

2. skyrodder

skyrodder

thats rat rod 101

3. Well I guess she won't be giving you a ride, to the Beer Store ! Hummmmmmmmmm

4. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

wow. Just... wow.

5. What a POS.

10050cielo likes this.
  6. damagedduck

damagedduck
    from Greeley Co

:eek: HOLY CRAP!:eek:
    i've got bigger ones on my chopper.

7. I have had some nasty stuff come in for repair.

[​IMG]

After dissassembly and degreasing

[​IMG]

8. Muttley

Muttley

9. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

There was a Street Rod Shop in Campbell when I had my shop there, they sold hot rods on consignment sometimes...
    They had a black '29 Highboy, built by a noted fabricator, that had some hairpins (stainless tubing, 5/8" O.D., with some 5/16" shanked spherical rod ends with jamb nuts!)
    I pointed it out to the shop owner, and he said, "Oh, those are trick aircraft hardware. Best in the world. You couldn't break those in a headon."
    I changed the subject. LOL

10. VoodooTwin

VoodooTwin
    from Noo Yawk

How NOT to set up a rear suspension....! Look at how the old bones bent under load from the torque. These were welded directly to the rear axle, and only under moderate power from a mild 283. Nice resulting pinion angle, eh?! LOL. [​IMG]

11. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

Muttley: This is a clear cut example of "Some just say 'why?' I say, 'Why not'?"
    Unbelieveable that someone would do this, with all the info on the internet...
    Steering drag link is one thing, but "Reverse King Pin Inclination"?
    Elliott and Ackermann are turning in their graves...

12. Gearhead Graphics

Gearhead Graphics
    from Denver Co

I need to find some of my WTF pics I've taken and add them to this.

13. hemifalcon

hemifalcon

Hey.. Looks like a started a fun topic here!! I think there are lots of bad examples out there--and some are just plain sad when they end up in disaster. Hopes and prayers go out that no bad things happen out there, but looking at that, even from a hobbyist's perspective, i know it just ain't right.
    Things like this bad fab job are probably done by the same guys who's cars go up in flames due to hack wiring.. Sure, sometimes there is just plain bad luck, but when you recklessly breed such forms of luck--'ya asked fer it'.. Maybe the owner will get lucky, and come out one morning, and those things will have just given out, and it'll be laying frame in the driveway--or more likely--a yard somewhere. Hopefully the reflection comes like a bolt of lightning in realization of how lucky he/she was instead of -'dayum, it looks cool that low.. I'll just re-weld it and call it good'..

14. Kevin Lee

Kevin Lee
    Super Moderator
    Staff Member

15. hemifalcon

hemifalcon

Kevin,
    You can't post up anything that is functional.. Oh wait--you did catch dirt in your original posting about this little mod you made. So, i guess you can trash yourself.. ;)

16. VoodooTwin

VoodooTwin
    from Noo Yawk

LOLOLOLOLOLOL!!!!! I'm glad that you have a sense of humor, Kevin. :D Cheers.

17. Saw this truck over the weekend. Looked decent until I looked under the hood. The clip is welded on with a piece of angle iron! ...and that's it!
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

18. 34ratpickup

34ratpickup
    from Orange, CA

I have seen some pretty scary stuff. It makes you wonder if the people realize how much of a danger they are to themselves and the other people on the road.

Just because you have a welder doesnt mean your a fabricator!

19. rodl

rodl

Don't you guys have to have your cars looked at by a transport inspector when you build/ modify them? :eek:
    RodL

20. stubbsrodandcustom

stubbsrodandcustom
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Spring tx

Texas.... If it starts, stops, has headlights, tail light, and windsheild wipers horn, it passes... Ive seen more janky suspensions here in our shows etc its scarry and the worst suspension hackers are the ones doing the new fullsize trucks etc..

21. Nope! Oklahoma quit doing inspections years ago.

22. Zerk

Zerk

That truck with the clip is on (very) borrowed time. Burying the brake pedal would be exciting. With only a couple of angle irons to cope with the suspension, weight and braking forces, it must drive kinda whippy.

23. Muttley

Muttley

They dont have them in California.

24. Harms Way

Harms Way

25. They did away with inspection stations in South Carolina over fifteen years ago. When they did have a state inspection I asked an inspection guy what they where looking for. I was told that they liked it if the car came in under it's own power. Evidently some would roll the car down the hill into his yard. Other than that is was pretty much wide open.
    Go figure.

26. kingpins

kingpins

this could be a fun thread!

27. Dam..looking at some of these I feel good about my first build...I can't believe my eyes on some of this stuff...here in Maine they would hang you at the inspection station..

28. Andy

Andy

I saw a rig once that used the Pinto braided flexible steering shaft? It was too long so they cut it off and drilled a hole thru it and bolted on a piece of pipe.
    I also saw a two link rear suspension where they just welded radius rods straight to the rear end. The rear end housing was ripped open and you could see and touch the axles.

29. Harms Way

Harms Way

Would you guys run this on the street ?

[​IMG]

30. bulletproof1

bulletproof1
    from tulsa okla

even when we had inspections..we could not turn a car down for crappy work .just what the inspection list included,,lights, windshield wipers,exhuast leaks,horn. if it was 79 and newer it had to have all the emissions parts for its year...oh and the gas cap, had to have the correct gas cap...i asked the instructor when i took my test if a car was leaking gas would it still pass ..he said yes... if its not on the list you cant fail it...