Register now to get rid of these ads!

2 link air suspension question

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 55kustomzombie, Aug 9, 2011.

1. 55kustomzombie

55kustomzombie

Hey everyone,

As mention on previous threads redoing/ more like finishing the air system that got started on the car when acquired. Anyways I finally got longer bags for the rear, we re-installed the "J" panhard bar (keep in mind this is my first air suspension car) and it seems like when its at ride height the axel is to the left when on the frame axel moves to the right.

Is it because i have a "J" panhard rather than a parallel one?

I searched and read that panhard bar needs to be parrallel, is that fact that mine is not have anything to do with what i am experiencing? (mines mounted at the high end of the frame.)

Any and all help will be greatly appreciated.

2. Jim Dieter

Jim Dieter
    from Joliet

Sounds like you already found the answer...As long as you can make it and the pivots parallel. Short angled rod means big arc.

3. noxided

noxided

My buddy has a straight pan hard bar on his 4 link "o/t 2010 F" and his axle shifts side to side when going up or down, i assumed it was because of the pan hard bar and thought he needed a Watts link.

Also i have only had one bagged car, so I don't know much

4. 55kustomzombie

55kustomzombie

So a parallel one would do the job?

5. 42oldschool

42oldschool

Look into a Diagonal Link. its another option

6. WhiteDevilsCC

WhiteDevilsCC
    from Spring Tx.

Your pan hard bar needs to be as long as it possibly can. But using a 2 link with a pan hard bar your rearend will always shift. I set mine up so the rearend is in there strait when it's all the way down that way it looks better when it's parked. Also I don't have to lift mine that high to ride with so it doesn't move over very much.

7. blown240

blown240
    from So-cal

From the standpoint of having the suspension set up correctly the bar should be as long as possible and parallel to the axle at ride height. The longer the arm, the less the rear end will more side to side with suspension travel.

Of course with a bagged rear, you need to set the ride height where ever you want...

8. slickhale

slickhale
    from Phoenix

x2- any setup with a panhard bar will have some side to side movement as the suspension moves. just figure out your ride height and set it level there and you should be fine.

9. 117harv

117harv

Another option is a trac bar, it mounts at the front pivot point of one lower link and the other end of the other link. It does work better when the lower links are the same distance apart front to rear and not closer at the front. I still think it would work if say the front mounts were 20 inches apart and at the rear end say 48 inches.

Like others stated, if a panhard bar is used itneeds to be as long as possible and level at ride height.

10. metalix_421

metalix_421

I looked and thought alot about mine before pulling the trigger and decided to go with a triangular 4 link because of limited clearance. (only having about 1/2 inch between my tires and fenders. works real well.