Register now to get rid of these ads!

Bought a 28-29 sedan shell now what

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by BronxMopars1, Jul 5, 2011.

1. BronxMopars1

BronxMopars1
    from Bronx, NYC

Soooo its a rough start but Im happy with it. My question is will a T-Bucket style frame work underneith? I mean I know andthing will work but is that a bad idea?

2. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Yes, bad idea. Find a Model A frame, with a clear serial number. They are NOT hard to find. Also you only have a half-shell, without doors, so you are not ready for a frame yet.

3. tinmann

tinmann

Model A frames don't have a serial number on them. The number was stamped into the bell housing. However, finding an A frame is still the way to go in piecing together your dream. Do you have doors, cowl, remnants of a floor??????

4. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Uh, yes they do. It is forward of the body mount, for the cowl post, on the driver's side. I have eight that I could show you, if you like.

Have a read: http://www.mafca.com/whatyear.html

Last edited: Jul 5, 2011

5. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

It would depend on how you want the finished car to look. If you want a relatively stock looking car (either fenderless or full fendered) i would go looking for a stock frame that is usable, or perchase a repro unit of the same type. If you are wanting something more like a channeled, dropped, "hot roddy" kinda car, I would say that finding a stock "A" type frame would be a waste of time. A perimeter type frame is really not that hard to build, just tedious to plan to get the look you want. I suggest you take some time and really look at some pictures of "A" sedans that you like and figure out what type of car you really want to build before committing to any particular frame type.

6. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Looks aside, having a clear serial number will be of great benefit for him when it comes time for registration in NY.

7. ^^agreed^^ and yes the number on an A is on the drivers side frame rail

8. BronxMopars1

BronxMopars1
    from Bronx, NYC

Thanks guy's, im going for that slammed Hot Rodded kind of look sort of like these pic's I dont have doors but Im working on a cowl as we speak.

Attached Files:

9. tinmann

tinmann

Huh...... well then, perhaps Canadian Model A frames don't have serial numbers. I didn't know the southern ones had #'s. I stand corrected.

10. BronxMopars1

BronxMopars1
    from Bronx, NYC

Ok got a cowl, doors are next!

11. Jeem

Jeem
    Alliance Vendor

Just remember, lower in the front.

12. RodStRace

RodStRace

I would suggest getting as many big hard parts as possible before the frame.
    Also keep good reciepts for all of it.
    Starting with different chunks of body, it would be easier to assemble the body on a stock frame, and as said, it would make registering a lot easier.
    If you go with a T style tube frame, they also suggest getting all the big stuff first then make the frame to fit all the parts.

13. 40Standard

40Standard
    from Indy

put it on a 32 frame and keep it as a hi-boy

14. Maybe consider building a full fendered car, there are plenty of over-chopped, over-lowered "squashed bug" looking sedans around already. A fendered car will
    always be in style. Just saying.

15. BronxMopars1

BronxMopars1
    from Bronx, NYC

I already have a gasser and Im really not into the fendered hot rods I really want something with open wheels for me and the ol lady to cruze in

16. DD

DD
    from illinois

x2!

17. pecker head

pecker head

Chicks dig open wheeled cars !:cool:

18. rusty28a

rusty28a

What RodStRace said! Get and keep receipts for everything for title purposes.

19. rotenjon

rotenjon

Ive got a T Tudor and i even went with an A frame!:D

20. Fenders

Fenders

Yes, under the cowl where you cannot see it once the body is on the frame. So I'm wondering, how does the SN on the frame help you?
    "OK Officer, give me a few minutes to pull the body so I can show you the serial number."

21. propwash

propwash
    from Las Vegas

Looking at the photos of they styles you like - try to steer clear of that WAY low look where the back tires are nearly at the rear belt line or even above it. That's not a traditional look as far as hot rodding is concerned. A nice rake....lowered a bit on both ends - fenderless is fine - but a bucket-style frame is pretty narrow and I don't think the wheelbase would suit. Plenty of A frames out there - aftermarket and stock. Original with a serial number is good. Lot of states getting pretty hinky about 'assembled' cars and origins of parts.

good luck - that half-body is a great start

dj

22. mastergun1980

mastergun1980
    from Alva OK

If you want a suicide axle ( t-bucket style ) get an a-frame cut the horns off, add a piece of 3" heavy wall tubing and weld on a perch! To bad you are so far awayI have a boxed a frame set up for a suicide front end I'm geting rid of - or for something out of the norm, quarter elipcs are way cool

23. Willy301

Willy301

When they do a registration, they will want to see that number or they might assign a different number making it a new build with different emission standards.. I would document the frame number in several stages including after paint with pictures to put with your documentation...showing that number with other items in the pic proving that is the frame under that car would go a long way in an already difficult process...

24. So for the Model A serial number on the frame:

The guy that said they DON'T have the number on the frame is in BC Canada and he is right!

Everyone else is in the US and they are all right saying the frames DO have a number!

Canadian cars didn't have a frame number and US cars did. I'm sure someone is going to come up with an exeption, but that was the way it is and was.

Oh and good luck with the project!

25. motoandy

motoandy
    from MB, SC

sold an A frame for $100 bucks with front and rear crossmember still intact, They are still out there. Head to a swap meet and cruise the classifieds here.

26. BronxMopars1

BronxMopars1
    from Bronx, NYC

I cant go all that low im in NYC I like the ride hight of MotoAndy's......An A-Frame it is but I def wanna run a suicide axle.......I have a Flattie w/a 3pot intake already and an extra 8 3/4 rear which work's out for me becuase we have a bunch of Mopars and give's me all dif gear choices.

27. FORDY 6

FORDY 6

B motors, not A's, had the VIN stamped on the bell housing...

28. Jack Luther

Jack Luther

Take a look at the thread titled "after 4+ years, yes". That should help. Good luck with your project.

29. The37Kid

The37Kid

Can you post a photo of the cowl so we can confirm that it fits a Tudor? Don't want you to start off with parts that don't fit. :)

30. Until they find out what the right front wheel can send their way!