Register now to get rid of these ads!

Descisions on motor/firewall paint and color for my 1960 f100 with y block

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 56 ford custom, Aug 9, 2011.

1. Well I have been tryinh to figure out and decide what color to paint the y block,intake,rams horns etc. Also what brand of paint and what temperature for each part. Also trying to figure out what color and brand/type of pint t use for the firewall. I dont know what color im going to be painting the truck so whatever color I oaint the motor it has to be able to match everything else.

So if anyone has any ideas or pics of any y blocks with accesories and paint just post them up. I need some sort of ideas. Thanks

2. easyissy

easyissy

Here's the color scheme I'm doing on my Y-Block. I'm doing the firewall black as well. I used the VHT brand of engine paint. They have tons of colors. For my exhaust/intake manifolds I used their Fireproof paint. It's a 2000* rated paint. You have to bake it on though.

[​IMG]

3. Eazyissy, your motor looks real.clean. Not exactly what im going for but you did a great job on it. On mine I already painted the intake with duplicolor cast color. I wanted the rams horns manifolds in cast iron but I cant find anyone here local that sells it in over 1000 degrees. Im not sure if I want to keep the ford stamped valve covers or go chrome. I want there to be enough contrast.

4. Turbos10

Turbos10
    from Texas

My windsor is Ford Red. It is "hot rod correct" for a traditional build....I like it.

5. Anything but chebby orange. :D:D

I think the Y block in my '55 was originally a funny green color. It ended up black wrinkle because that was popular back then everything except the intake and rocker covers which were aluminum and the headers which I painted white again because of popularity.

If you are using rams horns I would suggest that high heat cast iron paint. I'm am suire that VHT makes some as well as any number of other companies. I like VHT paint still, they still make wrinkle black engine paint as well.

6. '54Caddy

'54Caddy

Heres a pic of my old mans 292 in his 55 merc. Not sure of the brand of paint he used but it came out pretty nice.

[​IMG]

7. easyissy

easyissy

8. Yeah this y block I just want clean and simple for a daily and parts getter. The y block in my 56 sedan will be the attention getter haha. I have honestly checked and cant find the high temp cast paint from vht.

9. I wont be doing that color but it looks well gone through.

10. I have seen it in a catalog I think. I could be wrong. Let me look around and see if there is a part number for that somewhere in my stuff.

11. squirrel

squirrel

12. easyissy

easyissy

13. AAFD

AAFD
    from US of A

Paint the firewall Gloss White or Gloss Black and it will match anything.

14. I appreciate that porknbeaner

15. Squirrel, i checked it out. Terds truck is beutiful!! I think im gonna go with por 15 instead of rustoleum. What do you guys think? How much will I need? Gloss or semi gloss?

16. I really want to do gloss but I have really never painted before.

17. AAFD

AAFD
    from US of A

Go practice on some stuff. I wouldn't trust myself painting a full car, but I've painted under hoods and interiors with much success, even with crappy guns and crappy paint. Since it's a truck and will have a hood, it doesn't have to be perfect.

18. Yeah thats true. I just dont know how to mix paint with hardener or catalyst.

19. Well I think I found the paint. Its vht cast iron paint 2000 degrees. Dount it on the summit website. Also I am leaning away from por15 and closer to rustoleum because por15 will never come off of things and its messy

20. Well I went.on summits website and they have vht cast iron 1300 degree for 9.95 a can. I would like to get it but it looks pretty light. Has anyone here used it?

21. Or at my job we sell eastwood stainless 1300 degreefor headers.