Register now to get rid of these ads!

Roadster stolen at Pomona

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by barebones32, Jan 30, 2011.

1. S.F.

S.F.

still keeping an eye out in Ohio....

2. daddio211

daddio211

Chick, just arrived in Encinitas with the family. Hope to catch you sometime this weekend, just wish you were in the roadster!

3. erlomd

erlomd

Nothing yet? Any news?

4. Deuce Daddy Don

Deuce Daddy Don
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

How come NO INFO yet????????????? By now it must be all parts, what a shame!!

5. Ozzie

Ozzie

Back to the Top. Any news?

6. baby loves chrome

baby loves chrome

how come we can find some pretty quick? let get the cars back to the right owners.
    Someone has to know something???? Makes me sick, and I don't want to take my car out.

7. BTT

So sad to see this is still not back with it's owner.

8. on the lookout on the east coast!

9. barebones32

barebones32

No sign of the car or any of the parts. We're building a new car, though. Another hot rod '32 highboy roadster. The insurance company has settled and we're pressing on. A word or two about insurance: one, if you place any value on your car, have it appraised by a professional collector car appraiser; second, have it insured for it's "agreed value", not "stated value". My policy was written as agreed value and there was no bickering about what the settlement check was going to be. And finally, insure the car for the full appraised value. Don't try to rationalize the falling market or any other perceived factors. If the insurance company wants to question the value, then you've got the legitimate documentation to back it up, or shop elsewhere. There's lots of competition in this business.
    The insurance aspect was handled fairly and efficiently. They conducted an investigation to make sure that I wasn't committing fraud. I didn't fault them for that because it's just prudent business practice on their part. After all, they're going to choke out a fair sized chunk of change and they need to make sure that everything is as it's represented. The whole process took about six weeks from the date of the theft until I got a check.
    I was treated well by the broker (Condon & Skelly) and by the underwriter (Metropolitan Casualty). Would I recommend them? Yes. Are there others out there who are equally as good? I'm sure there are, though I can't offer first-hand experience.

What about security? I have it on good authority that the Sheraton Fairplex management will take additional precautions during the two major hot rod events that take place at the Fairplex every year, namely the LA Roadster Show in June and the GNRS in January. I don't know what their specific plans are and if you really wanted to know feel free to contact them directly. That may be a good idea anyway in order to keep them focused. The more calls that they get emphasizing the potential guests' concerns about security, the more they're going to pay attention to it.

Above all, we as car owners need to take additional steps regarding the security of our cars. I have already. A good friend of mine makes his living in performance automotive electronics. He was so affected by the theft of my car that he started investigating what technical options that we might have. We feel that we have an answer. If folks want to learn more, please PM me. Security measures can take a lot of forms, and you'll have to decide for yourself what you're comfortable with.
    See y'all back on the road again soon (GNRS 2012).

10. Sorry that you have had to go through all this, but glad the resolution process worked well for you. It is a wake up call to all car owners. Hope you're back on the road again soon.

11. ZRODZ

ZRODZ

Chick, can't wait to see the new car. Sounds like it's going to be even better than the old one.

12. Well said... still sad to see your efforts and many rare parts dissappear!!!

13. nolly

nolly

Sorry for the loss of your rod,BB32,but glad your insurance check was to your satisfaction.And the insurance info is priceless!!;)

14. Lucky3

Lucky3

Eyes wide open in Oklahoma....
    This shit REALLY sucks !!
    :mad::mad::mad:

15. farmergal

farmergal
    from somewhere

Sorry about your roadster...that thing was beautiful. By now the paint has probably been stripped off and repainted if it hasnt been parted out. what a shame. Here's to hoping it is one-day found and the new build is a fun one :)

16. Glad the New Build is goin well Chick.
    Very good advice re: insurance,agreed value and apprasial
    Had 1 stolen a few years ago also and Grundy stepped up to the plate.
    Was a hassle free claim.
    See ya @ LARS
    DON

17. daddio211

daddio211

Good to hear from you Chick, the new build must be a bitter/sweet thing.

Don, hope you're enjoying OK!

18. Ozzie

Ozzie

19. GaryB

GaryB
    from Reno,nv

bitter sweet end of a sad story and beginning of a new start. good luck

20. Rumbler

Rumbler

Condolences barebones, in the end the hacks that did this WILL get their tabs called in. No one escapes judgement, any they will pay for trying to make a quick buck at the expense of one mans dream. Hope the new build goes well for you and maybe you could set up some booby traps for the next SOB who thinks he's gonna take sumtn that ain't his.

21. erlomd

erlomd

Thank you barebones
    This is priceless information to all of us. I'm sorry that you were not able to recover the 32 but I feel that the next one might be a killer as well. We will all be waiting to see that one come to life. Hope to see you at GNRS 2012

22. happy hoppy

happy hoppy

thanks for advice. I am sorry some jerk stole your car but I am glad you got reimbursed.

23. Fenders

Fenders

And after the insurance check comes in you remember the three sticks of dynamite wired to the cell phone under the seat so you call up your car......

Nice to dream....

24. Ozzie

Ozzie

Hopefully this and other taken cars on the hamb have gotten so much attention, the thieves are stuck with them cause no one will touch them! Hope the new build is coming along well.

25. daddio211

daddio211

I think it's had enough publicity that if it was seen for sale someone would have reported it. At least I LIKE to think that there's enough dignity in the human race to do this!

I too hope the new build is progressing nicely Chick! Post some shots if you get some time!

26. oldcarfart

oldcarfart

I understand you can now buy "OnStar" for any application, but the locators used in tractor trailers and motorcycles at shows for test rides are small units.

27. dbradley

dbradley

One was stolen in Tulsa a while back. Was found in storage facility nearby theft point. Guys were taking prospective customers inside to view and bid. Someone saw activity and Sheriffs Office recovered.