Register now to get rid of these ads!

Help with Leaf Replacement '50 Ford F1

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by billydkid, Jul 22, 2011.

1. billydkid

billydkid
    from Newark, CA

Folks I need a little help with getting the leafs off my '50 F1. I have monoleafs to replace stock but can't get the shackle bolts off....I have used a lot of lube....but no glory and tips or tricks. I have attached a couple pictures...[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

2. billydkid

billydkid
    from Newark, CA

Come on folks...I know we have some bad @zz folks out there that can help a newbie with an easy question for a pro....Pleaze

3. Da Tinman

Da Tinman

ummm downsize the pics a bit so its easier to see whats happnin.....

4. Jim Bouchard

Jim Bouchard

Remove the lock bolt (pic shows it's already out) drive the pin out with a drift punch.
    Once you have the top pin out, the spring will drop free from the frame and then
    you can drive the lower one out.

5. billydkid

billydkid
    from Newark, CA

Thanks Jim...If I can manage to punch out the rear two, big if, guess I need a bigger hammer. How do I get the front one out? The hole is obstructed by the cross member???Thanks again

6. Jim Bouchard

Jim Bouchard

There is a hole in the frame (on the other side of the photo) that lines up with the top pin. Put a drift punch in the hole and drive the pin out.

7. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

why going to monoleaf? do not expect amazing results with lowering or ride. other options out there.

8. billydkid

billydkid
    from Newark, CA

@ Joker I have heard of all the horror stories on these but wanted something simple. Now I wish I got the flip kit; may just remove some leafs. Other CHEAP options? I am open for suggestions....and thanks for the response....much appreciated...

9. billydkid

billydkid
    from Newark, CA

10. Brute force and sheer ignorance has always worked for me!

Seriously, I would unbolt the rear end and use a c-clamp to put pressure on the pins while you cycle the suspension.

What kind of lube have you used? I would use marvel mystery oil or the ever popular acetone/ATF mix.

Sent from my iPhone using TJJ!!!

11. billydkid

billydkid
    from Newark, CA

Well all done with the removal of the leafs. Needed the air hammer, a longer bit (not pictured), and to make a slight notch in the cross member to get the the font shackle. Freakin hot and doing this in the driveway is not getting it....Wife won't let me have the garage :(
    Next weekend install the monoleafs, shocks, finish the rear brake rebuild, and work on the front.....Hope the front is easy then the rear was...Thanks guys...Quick pic....
    [​IMG]

12. billydkid

billydkid
    from Newark, CA

Found a kid with a lowered frame, flip kit in the back and dropped axle and flipped in the front. Now the question is how do I lower the rear a little more. Thinking a 2" block...I should I pull the cab off my current frame or pull the front and rear suspension from the new frame????Not sure which would be easier.