Register now to get rid of these ads!

ductile steel?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Rewired, Aug 7, 2011.

1. Rewired

Rewired
    from Fresno

found an axle on another site,they say its a forged ductile steel axle....is there such a thing? i`ve heard of forged steel and cast ductile but,not this. 290594739137 here`s a number for the listing thanks

2. "T'RANTULA"

"T'RANTULA"
    from Ohio

There is such a thing, Ductility is how flexible the metal is before it will break.Thats why it is hard to shorten straight axles and weld them back together cause that lowers the metals ductility and makes it easier to snap. I would say your axle is fine.

3. 73RR

73RR

Ugh...NO..different types of metals...

A wiki search says:
    Ductile iron, also known as ductile cast iron, nodular cast iron, spheroidal graphite iron, spherulitic graphite cast iron<SUP id=cite_ref-0 class=reference>[1]</SUP> and SG iron, is a type of cast iron invented in 1943 by Keith Millis.<SUP id=cite_ref-1 class=reference>[2]</SUP> While most varieties of cast iron are brittle, ductile iron is much more flexible and elastic, due to its nodular graphite inclusions

4. Rewired

Rewired
    from Fresno

my question was, is there some thing called forged dutile steel,not ductile iron.The add says forged ductile STEEL

Last edited: Aug 8, 2011

5. DERPR30

DERPR30
    from HARVEY LA

Forged means it was heat treated

6. CharlieLed

CharlieLed

Steel is nothing more than iron with carbon added. Ductility is the trait of the metal which allows it to bend under tension without breaking. My understanding of the term "forging" or to "forge" a metal is that the metal is brought up to a high temperature and then the shape of the metal is brought about through force...as in a drop forged tool. The forging process compresses the molecules in the metal making it more dense and thus stronger. From what I know about steel it seems reasonable to be able to have a forged ductile steel.

7. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

Don't think that is correct. I think "Forged" means it was shaped by bending/ twisting/pressing malleable metal (usually while hot) rather than being machined or cast into it's shape.

I believe "heat treating" is a seperate process that is applied to some metals, after shaping by whatever means, to attain additional strength. It consists of heating the metal in an oven to a desired temperature, maintaining that temp for a specified period of time, then cooling under controlled conditions.

Ray

8. CutawayAl

CutawayAl
    from MI

Your question was already answered. Ductility is a property that steel may have some degree of. There is not a material called "ductile steel". There is a material called ductile iron, but that's not steel.

A part can be forged, cast, spun, stamped, rolled, fabricated, machined, etc. Forged means the part was hammered/pounded/formed into shape from a block of material. Depending on the part that may be done when the metal is cold, hot, or really hot. Heat treating is an entirely separate process. Even if a forging is made of a heat trwatabloke material, a forging may or may not be heat treated.

9. CutawayAl

CutawayAl
    from MI

Iron has lots of carbon in it, but it is "free" carbon. That's why your hands get black when handling a clean iron casting, but not clean steel. Steel is made be removing the carbon(and other things) from iron, then putting a controlled amout back in a way that it is not "free' carbon.

10. toddc

toddc

Iron is iron. There is no carbon in it. Cast iron has a lot of free carbon. Maleable iron has "no" carbon, but often a lot of slag in it.

11. CutawayAl

CutawayAl
    from MI

It sounds like you are making a distinction betweenn the element iron, and how iron actually exists in the real world. That may be important in some situations, but not for what's going on here. But since you want to talk about elemental iron, malleable iron is not naturally occurring.

12. shinysideup

shinysideup
    BANNED
    from ruskin, fl

:eek:

13. Ductile iron, also known as ductile cast iron, nodular cast iron, spheroidal graphite iron, spherulitic graphite cast iron[1] and SG iron, is a type of cast iron invented in 1943 by Keith Millis.[2] While most varieties of cast iron are brittle, ductile iron is much more flexible and elastic, due to its nodular graphite inclusions.

On October 25, 1949, Keith Dwight Millis, Albert Paul Gagnebin and Norman Boden Pilling received US patent 2,485,760 on a Cast Ferrous Alloy for ductile iron production via magnesium treatment.[3]Contents [hide]
    1 Metallurgy
    2 Composition
    3 Applications
    4 See also
    5 References
    5.1 Bibliography
    6 External links

[edit]
    Metallurgy

Ductile iron microstructure at 100×. Note carbon islanding effect[citation needed] around nodules.

Ductile iron is not a single material but is part of a group of materials which can be produced to have a wide range of properties through control of the microstructure. The common defining characteristic of this group of materials is the morphological structure of the graphite. In ductile irons the graphite is in the form of spherical nodules rather than flakes (as in grey iron), thus inhibiting the creation of cracks and providing the enhanced ductility that gives the alloy its name.[4] The formation of nodules is achieved by addition of nodulizing elements, most commonly Magnesium (note Magnesium boils at 1100C and Iron melts at 1500C) and, less often now, Cerium (usually in the form of Misch metal), into the melt.[5] Tellurium has also been used. Yttrium, often a component of Misch metal, has also been studied as a possible nodulizer.

Besides the requirement that the graphite be manipulated into the spheroidal shape, the ferrite and pearlite ratios can be controlled through alloying, shakeout temperature control or post-casting heat treatment to vary the relative amounts pearlite and ferrite from 0% pearlite and 100% ferrite, to 100% pearlite and 0% ferrite. The control of the pearlite and ferrite ratio manipulates the tensile, yield and elongation characteristics of the ductile iron to produce numerous standard grades of material.

"Austempered Ductile Iron" (ADI) was invented in the 1950s but was commercialized and achieved success only some years later. In ADI, the metallurgical structure is manipulated through a sophisticated heat treating process. The "aus" portion of the name refers to austenite.[6]
    [edit]
    Composition

A typical chemical analysis of this material:
    Iron
    Carbon 3.3 to 3.4%
    Silicon 2.2 to 2.8%
    Manganese 0.1 to 0.5%
    Magnesium 0.03 to 0.05%
    Phosphorus 0.005 to 0.04%
    Sulfur 0.005 to 0.02%

Other elements such as copper or tin may be added to increase tensile and yield strength while simultaneously reducing elongation. Improved corrosion resistance can be achieved by replacing 15% to 30% of the iron in the alloy with varying amounts of nickel, copper, or chromium.
    [edit]
    Applications

Much of the annual production of ductile iron is in the form of ductile iron pipe, used for water and sewer lines. Ductile iron pipe is stronger and easier to tap, requires less support and provides greater flow area compared with pipe made from other materials.[citation needed] In difficult terrain it can be a better choice than PVC, concrete, polyethylene, or steel pipe.[citation needed]

Ductile iron is specifically useful in many automotive components, where strength needs surpass that of aluminum but do not necessarily require steel. Other major industrial applications include off-highway diesel trucks, class 8 trucks, agricultural tractors, and oil well pumps.

14. Dzuari

Dzuari
    from Muncie, IN

yes there can be a forged ductile iron, just depends on what iron was used in the forging process and how it was heat treated.

I work for an aluminum foundry, only deal with steel and iron in molds and CNC but i know all the processes mentioned on the this thread.

ductility is a metals ability to deform before cracking or shearing occurs, higher carbon in a metal will cause it to be lest ductile(more prone to crack/explode upon pressure or force) and the metals heat treating process can affect ductility to. An example of poor ductile metal would be something like a carbide drill, cutter, end-mill, they are extremely hard and strong but hit them in the wrong way and they will break like glass.

best way i like to explain it to people is to think of silly pudy. if you take silly pudy and pull it apart as quick as u possible can you will see that it actually snaps apart and wont string out like it normally does, this is low ductility, but if you pull on it slowly it will stretch out as far as you want it, extremely good ductility. i guess you could call silly pudy a variable ductility compound :).

And as far as forging goes, forges is the process of how the part was made, there are 4 basic molding techniques to manufacture a metal part; Sand Casting, permanent molding, die-cast, and forging. Each process has many different sub-processes in it that all result in slightly different metal characteristics.

Forging is by far the results in the strongest finished part compared to the other methods. Forging is where they take the die(mold) and fix it to be stationary, place a metal slug that is heated to just below its melting point onto the drag(bottom part of the mold), then they slam the cope(top part of the mold) down upon the heated bar, usually with a giant flywheel that propels the die downwards at hundreds of thousands or even millions of pounds of force onto the metal slug forming it into what ever the mold is designed for. Usually forging dies are progressive, meaning that there are multiple molds cut into one piece of steel, each one forming the metal slug slightly more into its final form.

Last edited: Aug 11, 2011
  15. CutawayAl

CutawayAl
    from MI

In many cases forging has the POTENTIAL to produce a stronger/tougher part than casting, but that isn't always so.

Sometimes the part may be heated less, or even not at all.

While forging dies are used to make most parts, some things are made without dies, and in some cases even with little or no special tooling.

16. Dzuari

Dzuari
    from Muncie, IN

i know, you can get into exotics like stelite, waspaloy, haspaloy that can be cast and still have double rockwell hardness of a forged heat treated high strength steel. I think cast stelite has a rockwell around 65 and heat treated it can get up to the low hundreds. (steel is around 20-30, heat treated it can hit low 40's)

Was giving a general idea of what forging is.

17. CutawayAl

CutawayAl
    from MI

There are lots of cases where a forging wasn't made in a way that compliments how the part will be used. Those forgings can be inferior to a casting. Relating this to cars, I know that has happened on crankshafts and rods. That's why I said "In many cases forging has the POTENTIAL to produce a stronger/tougher part".......... sometimes what could/should be better ends up being worse

I hope it didn't seen I was disputing what you posted, I was just adding some detail.

18. Really ?
    Since when ???

Forge
    verb
    forged forg·ing

Definition of FORGE
    transitive verb
    a : to form (as metal) by heating and hammering
    b : to form (metal) by a mechanical or hydraulic press with or without heat

snip

: to form or bring into being especially by an expenditure of effort
    <working to forge party unity>
    intransitive verb
    : to work at a forge

http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/forged

19. duc·tile

adj \&#712;d&#601;k-t<sup>&#601;</sup>l, -&#716;t&#299;(-&#601;)l\

Definition of DUCTILE

: capable of being drawn out into wire or thread <ductile iron>

: easily led or influenced

: capable of being fashioned into a new form

&#8212; duc·til·i·ty noun

http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/ductile

Ductile Iron is the proper name of the type of alloy that many
    of the aftermarket streetrod axles are supposed to be cast from.
    http://www.matweb.com/search/QuickText.aspx?SearchText=Ductile%20Iron
    Ductile Iron is different from Cast iron.
    http://www.matweb.com/search/QuickText.aspx?SearchText=cast%20Iron

Ductile Steel is not a proper name, more like a bastardization.

If that is a factory Ford axle, that has been dropped properly, no problem.
    If it is aftermarket, buy one from a reputable supplier.

20. CutawayAl

CutawayAl
    from MI

Iron can exist in a variety of states. Ductile is one of those states. Although ductile iron can be alloyed with other elements, ductile iron is not an alloy, it is one of the states that iron can exist in.

"Regular" iron is grey iron. That's what people often refer to as cast iron. But....... it is possible to have casting with the iron in any of its possible states. That includes ductile iron. All sorts of ductile/malleable iron casting are used on cars.

21. toddc

toddc

"Steel" with no carbon in it, rare as it may be, is iron.

Grey iron isn't naturally occurring either.

22. Rem

Rem

Most commonly used steel is going to be ductile - steel tube frames, forged steel axles, pressed steel panels, etc., all exhibit some amount of ductility.

At $199 that's a very cheap axle if it is a new, forged steel one that has been drilled!

23. CutawayAl

CutawayAl
    from MI

If there is a point you have been trying to make with your posts it has gotten by me. In your profile you describe yourself as a "malcontent". Should you add contrarian and squabbler to that, or am I missing something?:):confused: