Register now to get rid of these ads!

Features VINTAGE SPRINT CAR PIC THREAD, 1965 and older only please.

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Joshua Shaw, Jan 17, 2008.

1. trentesept

trentesept
    from Australia

Hi Guys, a quick question for the brainstrust.
    Does any body know who the crew cheif was for Frank Curtis
    Car #37 Curtis Chev
    Drivers: Wilbur "Bay" Darnell
    Dee Jones
    Al Loquasto
    Only ran '67, '68,'69
    Entered Indy as "Curtis Auto Tech Alloy" Special ,'67
    No show for most of '68
    Entered Indy as "National Boatlift" Special, '69
    We want to give the correct accreditation when we do the sign writing on the restored car.
    Frank Curtis may have run such a low-buck outfit that he did all the spanners himself ,but the photo of Dee Jones taking his rookie test shows a few people around the car
    Many thanks Greg

2. Denny Zimmerman

Denny Zimmerman

trentesept, Call the speedway and ask for Donald Davidson, he would know. Denny Z

3. Jim Nise

Jim Nise

4. LEE GREENAWALT

LEE GREENAWALT

Josh will you be around at Latimore that Sunday 21st?
    Lee

5. Rootie Kazoootie

Rootie Kazoootie
    from Colorado

6. BZNEIL

BZNEIL

I was hoping I was the only one on the planet who saw this!!!!

7. Indy 500 Question: Can anyone suggest a reference, link or even an old book or magazine article that showcases the winning trophies for the Indy 500 before the Borg-Warner began being the winning trophy? I know the Speedway's HoF has some on display but not all. I have an idea or two for some future paintings and I'd like to be able to tie the correct trophy to the appropriate year. Thanks.

8. jjones752

jjones752
    from Indy

9. TommyA19

TommyA19

10. Rootie Kazoootie

Rootie Kazoootie
    from Colorado

Well hell yeah, those Kinsters are SUPER rare.:D

11. carl s

carl s
    from Indio, CA

12. 28dreyer

28dreyer
    from Minnesota

Ya. I think they used them on the Allison V16...see excerpts of pasted thread below

Re: All time greatest engine?

[SIZE=+0][SIZE=+0]<HR style="COLOR: #e5e5e5; BACKGROUND-COLOR: #e5e5e5" SIZE=1><!-- / icon and title --><!-- message -->[/SIZE][/SIZE][SIZE=+0]Quote:[/SIZE]

<TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=6 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD class=alt2 style="BORDER-RIGHT: 1px inset; BORDER-TOP: 1px inset; BORDER-LEFT: 1px inset; BORDER-BOTTOM: 1px inset">

[SIZE=+0]Personally, I've always been a big fan of the "10lbs of stuff in a 5lb bag" look, so for me it has to be the early Hemis.[/SIZE]

</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>
    [SIZE=+0]Early hemis are boat anchors, Allison V-16 is the only way to go.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=+0]Quote:[/SIZE]
    <TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=6 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD class=alt2 style="BORDER-RIGHT: 1px inset; BORDER-TOP: 1px inset; BORDER-LEFT: 1px inset; BORDER-BOTTOM: 1px inset">[SIZE=+0]Originally Posted by Locomotive Breath [/SIZE][SIZE=+0][​IMG][/SIZE]
    I'd like to see one them there Allison V-16's, they are very rare indeed.

</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>
    [SIZE=+0]They were built mostly on overtime. Otherwise you only had time for 12 cylinders.[/SIZE]

The last comment was by Rich Fox. a classic.

13. Rootie Kazoootie

Rootie Kazoootie
    from Colorado

The last part of the vid was showing the CRA races at El Centro 63. This was the 2nd race for the Shepard/Colvin K-E-Y team. After the first race at Tampa they towed cross the country to race with the CRA and put Gordon Woolley in the seat. Seems the CRA guys weren't too happy about being spanked by the 'outsiders' on their turf. (those "special" tires look like plain ol skinny knobbies to me.)

Attached Files:

14. Fibergless

Fibergless
    from Germany

15. grantw

grantw

been reading this thread for ages now, full of info and cool photos.

hoping as there seems to be a lot of knowledge on here that somebody might be able to help with some info.
    one of my dads mates owns the car i have attached the photos of. he has asked me to drive it for me in vintage/historic racing. never driven anything like it but cant wait!
    what i would like to know is any info on the car, all i know is it is from the late 30's? maybe 38??? love to know snything from era/year, chassis/make, owner/driver/builder, history and so on, not much i know ;)

Attached Files:

16. Joshua Shaw

Joshua Shaw

I'm pretty sure I have all the "Details" for the Latimore/Williams Grove/Lincoln vintage weekend next week but..

Can anyone tell me if there is Track time FRIDAY at Latimore before we head to Williams grove... Or is it just Roundtable discussions and good quality Bullshit Sessions? :D

Thanks.

J shaw

17. Buildy

Buildy

Hi Josh,

According to this Schedule No track time at Latimore Fri,but Fri nite at Williams Grove Speedway there is track time.

Sat and Sunday Afternoon Track time at Latimore. Sat Nite at Lincoln Speedway,also track time.

http://www.emmr.org/schedule.htm

18. Joshua Shaw

Joshua Shaw

Cool. I called Paxton and that's how I understood it too.. Just making sure. Thanks!

See some of you there hopefully.

J Shaw

19. Speedrome

Speedrome
    from Irving, TX

Hey guys I thought some of you who are from the area would enjoy hearing about this upcoming event in the Dallas area.

2011 Racers Reunion Banquet
    Saturday, September 24th
    Irving, TX

Bench Racing, photo albums and Vintage race cars will be on display starting at 4:00 pm. The dinner and presentations will begin at 6:00 pm.

Master of Ceremony - Johnny Rutherford

Presentations
    Forgotten Race Tracks by Bill Blaylock
    Bill Jones - The Ambassador of Vintage Racing by Galen Kurth
    100 years of the Indy 500 by Donald Davidson, the official Historian for the Indianapolis Motor Speedway.

We are expecting drivers from the area such as Buddy Cagle, Shane Carson, Jimmy McElreath, Doc Parsons and others to also attend.

Get more details, find a map or you can purchase tickets at www.RadiusNation.net.

Bart
    2011 Flyer
    [​IMG]

20. sprintfreak

sprintfreak

Hey Guy's Looking for a C.A.E. rollcage for a 68 car.

21. Butch Evans

Butch Evans

Sad news---Earl Gaerte passed away. What a nice guy!!!!!!

22. Dale Wilch

Dale Wilch

I'd like a collector to make me an offer if there's interest. I have 3 letters on Meyer & Drake Engineering stationary from Leo Goossen with conversation to Jerry Willets of Connecticut.
    1st letter dated June 17, 1952 is conversation about a supercharged midget engine in the Cisitalia and the lack of performance out of it. Leo indicates to Jerry the camshaft design might not have been the best for the supercharged Offenhauser engine……
    2nd letter dated July 14th 1952 was a price proposal for 2 new Midget engines for a proposed Road Racing Sports car evidently Jerry Willets had requested from Offenhauser. It shows the specifications and equipment furnished

3rd letter dated October 16th 1952 looks like a regret that the engine purchases quoted in July is not going to happen because of the Ferrari's 165 horse power engine and Leo is not sure they can produce the horsepower to compete with the factory built cars

23. Joshua Shaw

Joshua Shaw

Dale.. Contact Bob McConnell at GASLIGHT AUTO SUPPLY in Urbana Ohio.

1-800-242-6491

Doubt you'll get him on the phone, so leave a message with WHAT YOU HAVE.

http://www.gaslightauto.com/contactus.asp

He might be a player on those letters.

J Shaw

24. Dale Wilch

Dale Wilch

Thanks Joshua for you help. I will make the contact. Dale Wilch

Are you interested in Used Speed equipment? If you're already registered to
    receive my Nitro Blast email, thanks for your registration. For a little while
    to get this off the ground I'm going to allow the registered people to use the
    Nitro Blast FREE! If you have any good used race car or hot rod cars, parts or
    any speed equipment for sale or wanted you can send what you have with a photo
    to over 7,000 good car guys tomorrow. If you're not registered take the link
    below and get registered. You can then send something on the Nitro Blast
    tomorrow FREE! As you confirm your listing use the Promo Code: FREE You will not
    be charged http://www.gonetoday.com

For you FaceBook users, take this link to the Dale Wilch Fan Page and "Follow"
    us there to see what's been Nitro Blasted lately.

http://www.facebook.com/DaleWilchFanPage

25. racerbillyc

racerbillyc

AS THE CROWD ROARS on TCM right now 5 pm Tues.

26. Ken_Schou

Ken_Schou

It looks like, for the first time since WWII, that there will NOT be a (full) midget race any where in New York State this year (2011).

SAD!!! :mad:

27. TommyA19

TommyA19

Sad isn't the word, Ken. Accord was about the only track that ran at least one show with the ARDC, but haven't for a couple of years, I believe. I've been told part of the reason. OCFS was disappointed with the car count the last time they ran there, and ARDC now thinks OCFS is too big. Plus I gues ssome ARDC teams are not up to traveling long distances, and with today's fuel costs, I guess they can't be blamed for that. I guess Oswego won't be having NEMA for a show, either.
    You've just given another subject for my column, next week. Thanks.

28. racerbillyc

racerbillyc

Can't be distance Pittsbugh , Mercer, two in NC, and Winchester, Va. Car count or more likely ARDC purses are back up to where they should be not at the $2500 to $3500 they were last time they ran at OCFS.

29. Bob Cicconi

Bob Cicconi

That sucks. I always liked Orange County. That was a good midget track. Who thought it was too big for midgets? They've raced midgets at IRP, PIR, Milwaukee, Springfield, IL., and Oswego (and other big tracks). That makes no sense to me.

30. indybigjohn

indybigjohn
    Member Emeritus

Don't leave one fact out, Bob. You were one of the best I saw in a midget at IRP. Made me proud to know you. Hope the family is OK.