Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects '51 Chevy build journal

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by robleticia, Oct 26, 2010.

1. metalix_421

metalix_421

good lookin car now. its funny I remember your car when it was all green. deff can tell you have f***** up almost every inch of it by looking at all the primer.;) I dig it keep up the work.

do you have glass for it yet? if not get ahold of davidh73750 he has a hook up flat glass shop and can get glass cut cheap. might be worth the drive up here/ or the shipping

2. xmlc216x

xmlc216x
    from MS

Wow, looks GREAT Rob! Man I've got to get to work on my car and stop messing with motorcycles haha

3. davidh73750

davidh73750

that looks great! You know its mandatory you bring it to next years round up! I got a 52 styline 2door and have decided it will be my first chop. those 49-54's just look great with a little off the top.

Last edited: Aug 1, 2011
  4. Finnrodder

Finnrodder
    from Finland

Thats good looking chop,nice work!

5. mrconcdid

mrconcdid
    from Florida

Now Who's got a shit eatin' grin?
    Well you earned it, the chop looks great. And looks like you had a good time with your buddys too. You can't beat that. Thanks for all the cool pics, I see you did it alittle differant than others. I like the fact you didn't have to cut the corners of the widows and I like a straight B pillers to.
    Did you have to relief cut around the back glass that much?
    I thinks the chop is perfect. Good job MrC

6. JRACER1

JRACER1
    from Bryan, Tx,

Great job guys!! That looks AWESOME!!

7. Well Rob man whats left to say that the others haven't already . You guys make it look so easy . All the hard stuff done in one weekend . Good times and great friends that aren't afraid to work makes for an excellant outcome , obviously . I will be keeping your pics. for future referance thats for sure . Andy..

8. Racrdad

Racrdad

I agree with everybody else, car looks awesome! Man it was fun times, Rob had it planned out well, we had plently of cut off wheels, flap discs, grinders, 2 welders and alot of "can do" attitude. It was a lot of work (and still alot to do) but well worth it! Its great working with friends that arent afraid to work as hard as Rob and Jason work. Man I was out of energy long before they were. Being the old man in the bunch sucks sometimes. Maybe it was all the food slowing me down a little. You work at Robs house and you better be ready to eat. The hot sauce Jason brought was killer too. A big thanks to Missy (Jason wife) for making the sauce and a big thanks to Erica (Robs wife) for taking all the kids back to school clothes shopping and keeping them happy while we were in the garage.

Not a bad weekend for 3 guys who had never chopped a car before. :cool:

Last edited: Aug 1, 2011
  9. koolkemp

koolkemp

That looks great ! I love when someone takes the effort to chop a more door !

10. Amazing!! proportions look perfect, like the car was ment to be that way... I am envious of u for sure! Makes me wish I lived in Tx...

11. droplord49

droplord49
    from Bryan, Tx

Looks top notch!

12. fbama73

fbama73

For what it is worth, I think that decision may have been the smartest one you've made yet. The car has great proportions as you did it, and I honestly think that that extra inch would have been a mistake.

Thanks for showing it. I was thinking 4-4.5" for mine when the time comes. I see that I need to do a LOT of photoshop chopping before I think that way any more.

Of course, I still have to finish remaking the bottom of the car first, anyway. The top and my bracing is the only thing holding the body together right now!

13. JMD82

JMD82

I think it looks PERFECT and BADASS!!!!! Executed very well! I love when yall get together you get crap done, obviously...this was done in 1 weekend! I know there is more left but still, Great job guys!! Seeing how easy you made that look....Fleetlines look good chopped too, right Doug? Now I cant spoil you with an air conditioned garage but I can cook and I always have salsa!!:D

-Missy

14. Tin Can

Tin Can

Car is looking good. The chop has a nice flow to it

15. robleticia

robleticia

Thanks lukey!

Dont let the two extra doors scare you, its not that much mor work. CHOP IT!

you can be pivot man!:eek: Just kidding!

Thanks for the hook up, i will check into it. I will be glad when it's ALL green again!

yeah, thanks for hooking me up with the motorcycle site, it is very distracting!!

I'm going to try my best, it may be in primer, but that is my goal!

Thanks Finnrodder!

Thanks for the kind words. I was really hoping the feedback from the HAMB would be positive! We had a great time and they are GREAT friends! I wanted to show as many pics as i could to help anyone else that is doing one, that's what the HAMB is for, right?! The more reliefs you cut the less it tries to change the curve of the sail panel and makes it flow together much better. In my opinion anyway?

16. rebstew187

rebstew187

17. robleticia

robleticia

I need to be keeping your pics for future reference, the chop was easy compared to the work you are doing!

Thanks, everyone was telling me to make it a two door(which I originally wanted) but I just figured leaving it a 4 door would set it apart.

that kind of compliment is music to my ears, thank you!

thanks man, and thanks again for the pics and all your input, it was very helpfull!

Thanks, photo shop is your friend for sure, Racrdad did several renderings for me and the decision on how much wasnt made till Friday night! I have been watching your progress as well.

Tin Can and rebstew, thank you!

18. Christian the Rat

Christian the Rat

I love it Rob! Very cool work!

19. mj40's

mj40's

Well done gentlemen! Looks 110% better.

20. robleticia

robleticia

Christian, thanks! Haven't talked to you in a while! How's everything going over there?

Thnak you Sir! Compliments from fellow HAMBers are just as nice as the feeling I got when we rolled her outside to take a look for the first time.

21. cyclesounds

cyclesounds

Looking good Rob. So are you coming to my house or am I bringing my car to your house to chop mine?

22. robleticia

robleticia

Thanks Chuck, I only have about 5000 more tacks to go! HAHA! Your house, you supply the beer and I will supervise!:eek:

23. jonzcustomshop

jonzcustomshop

chop looks awesome!

24. BULLFROGG

BULLFROGG
    from KY

Awesome !!!
    looks great. I have grown to really love the 4 doors !!!

25. Racrdad

Racrdad

Fleetlines look awesome chopped. Lets line up a weekend and get it done!

26. slick39

slick39
    from dallas ,ga

Very Sweet!!!! nice job

27. robleticia

robleticia

Thanks guys for the compliments! Finished welding and grinding the rear section of the roof and the rear jamb on the back doors. Also finished the structure on the inside of the C pillar. The trigger on the grinder took a shit and put an end to finishing the rest of the roof so I decided to skim the rear portion of the roof just so I could keep doing something, thats when I realized my air compressor isn't really big enough for body work.:mad: SO....day started out good and ended shitty! Sorry for the crappy cell phone pics, I will bust out the camera for the next update. Its not like welding and grinding is all that exciting anyways!
    Later!

Attached Files:

28. Great Build Thread man, it makes me want to do more to mine. Also, Thanks, I'm glad you like my interior shots (I have lots more I need to post). Cooter

29. robleticia

robleticia

Thanks Cooter! Now get busy posting those other pics!

Well, after much debate, research and a little (alot) of whining about spending money I broke down and bought a new compressor. Got it wired in and bolted down last night, should finish the pipe tie in tonight. This is one bad mother, I love it! It actually makes less noise than my little one, however it generates alot of heat! Might have to close it in and vent it outside??? Messing up my A/C in my garage damnit!:D

Size DOES matter!:eek:

Attached Files:

30. Racrdad

Racrdad

I am currently suffering from compressor envy........:D