Register now to get rid of these ads!

Mask's - 27 roadster photo journal build

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by John "MASK" Maschke, Dec 22, 2009.

1. 41 Dave

41 Dave

John, Your '27 is coming along great. Looking forward to more updates on it. Good luck with your build !

41 Dave

2. NortonG

NortonG
    Member Emeritus

Looks killer!!
    Keep pluggin' away on it.

Norton

3. its been quite a while since i updated this......and i havent done a whole lot more work on it, as life got in the way...moving to a new house, vacations, time with the little girl, and pinstriping season starting up.....

i have been collecting parts though..mopar steering box for a side steer setup....a mustang box....now an extra part...lol...4-link..airbags...brake pedal, and master...shocks.....and i guess thats about it for now....

i mounted my windshield posts.....now i need to message the frame to match....but overall its really comming togeather....

here are some more "better" pics..

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

4. oldskoolflyer13

oldskoolflyer13

I used to be more of a bike guy myself......always loved traditional rods and have used that style with my bikes and am venturing on my first build as well. I had 35 chevy that was pretty rat....but am building a '29 A sport coupe. Good luck....cant wait to see pics as you come along with this

5. made some more progress on the roadster.....we raised it up a bit...realizing 4" is just too low for an every day ride....

also, the rad, steering, 4-link, and headlights are all in....here are a few updated pics....

the 4-link installed with airsprings....

[​IMG]

front view, to give you a better idea of the new stance

[​IMG]

the headlights and rad mounted....still missing the nuts for the headlight bolts..but...its all mocked up..

[​IMG]

here is an angle of the stearing box.....originally we were going to mount it within the farewall..but space...and easy....we put it just outside of the firewall.

[​IMG]

the new stance from the back...

[​IMG]

6. WelderSeries

WelderSeries
    Alliance Vendor

7. wow..i guess its been a while since i updated this....lots of have gone on...slowly making my way through collecting parts....

i have since bought myself a welder, and have been learning to weld myself...i'm still haveing friends help with the big stuff, but..at least i can tack those items in place, so everything is exactly where i want it.

Here is scored some valve covers on ebay...cost me $35!
    [​IMG]

I also wasnt happy with the way my steering box was mounted, so using some items from welderseries, i made up a new mount. Its not the prettiest thing, but it will hold, and still looks better then what i had.

[​IMG]

i also made some friction shock mounts...again..using some plates from welderseries....these parts are awesome....

[​IMG]

There were some clearance issues with my headlights, so a buddy gave me a headlight bar he had picked up at a swap meet...after some cutting and welding...it fits like a glove, with no clearance issues..

[​IMG]

I had a huge debate on a fuel cell..i wanted something big enough so i didnt have to fill at every gas station, and i also wanted a fuel sender unit..i ended up with a cell from summit racing..its a little bit so i may have to raise the back end an inch or so to make it fit...but..it should work just fine!

[​IMG]

and last but not least....i stared to fill holes in the body....when i got it, the firwall looked like swiss cheese....now...its not perfect....but..the holes are filled..

[​IMG]

next the car will head to my buddys place over the holidays for final welding of frame parts, and realignmnet of the rear axle/driveshaft...

8. ran into some issues.....
    my buddy who welded in a bunch of my 4-link parts...well....i have had to cut off everything, and redo it...all over...

here is what the car looked like from behind...
    [​IMG]

Thank god i have such great buddys, who have the skill and know how to fix this for me.....i was worried when i had gotten it back, and the more i talked to people....im glad i did worry, and get friends to help out...

here is my new rear section

[​IMG]

9. after seeing someone else do this on the hamb i was inspired...and decided to make my own deck lid.....overall it cost me about $40 worth of material, and a lot of muscle....

first i went to princess auto, and got some square tubing, and a cast metal wheel...FYI, dont get thick walled square tubing....stuff is hard to bend..had to break out the car jack to bend it....but i did it...small bends..little by little....

[​IMG]

once the items were bent, i cut everyting to fit..made carboard templates...for the curve...

then i welded the frame togeather...

[​IMG]

then i got a piece of 18G sheet metal cut, and with some bending around my welding tank, it got a nice curve to it...then i marked it all..and tacked it in place...

[​IMG]

still some cleaning up to do, but overall, its a nice fit...now off to stonys to get louvered with his louver press.....

10. Looking great John, really nice

11. ToddJ

ToddJ
    from Marion, IA

Looking good John!!!

12. Rudy'sRod

Rudy'sRod
    from Denver, Co

It all looks fantastic! I'm looking to start a '27 in the spring and this thread is a great inspiration.

13. bloodyjack

bloodyjack

Glad to be of help :)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

14. bloodyjack...i thought it was you who posted this idea, but couldnt remember for sure....killer idea for a deck lid....way easier to do then i thought...im going to finish the bracing, once i get it all louvered...

15. JTW

JTW

Any thing new?

16. Yeah, how's it coming John?

17. wow..i have been slaking with the updates.....although, i havent made a huge amount of progress on the car....lack of funds, a non heated garage in canada, and a 2yr old seem to take up my time.....as well pinstripign season is starting, so i have been doing a few shows.....

ill post some pics up of whats going on....

18. ok...well...lets start with my new purchases....i got a new switch, setup for a model T...i was trying to get an old one on ebay...and after getting frustrated at what there going for...and unsure if they will even work or need rebuilding..i took the easy way..and got a brand new one....i think it s like $60..and i know it will work!

[​IMG]

i also got myself a new gas cap, and original style hinges for my trunk...i was having way too many issues with the external ones i bought...and these clean the ass end up nicely!

[​IMG]

the last think i got recently, was a new windshield....my buddy Triatan from the Bottom feeders car club, is a wiz with Glass, and i would recomend him to anyone if you need some custom glass work...

[​IMG]

19. i got my engine all cleaned up, and put back togeather....with a fresh coat of paint....and i managed to even pick up a cheap tunnel ram...

i'm not 100% sure if i will stick with it...but i love the look...i found some 390's i have been eyeing up.....but i might also go in another direction with an edelbrock..and dual plane intake...for ease of tuning....im in a huge struggle to know what direction i will go for the intake...so for now..its keeping junk from falling into the engine...

anyone have opinions on this? seems everyone does...lol

[​IMG]

here is a mock up...to show where my carbs will sit in relation to the firewall.....i love the look...but....money/ease....might not allow me to go in this direction right away...

[​IMG]

20. a lot of the work i have been doing recently, has just been fixing small things that bother me....the brake pedal i offset so i have an extra inch of room for a gas pedal..oh yea..got one of those now...

i welded up the firewall around my steering colunm so thats done, put in a new panhard bar...installing a floor and tunnel under the seat box, so i can mount all my electrical stuff there....but its all kind of slow going...

i really have no one locak to help me out...so things like taking the body off, or pulling the engine...takes me a lit of time to setup the engine hoist as extra hands....but i keep plugging away...

here is my finished trunk lid! thanks again to bloody Jack for the inspiration to just make my own. now the question is.....to louver..or not to louver...remember im a pinstriper...and to pinstripe that lid would be sweet...but louvers are nothing but bad ass...so again...another decision im fighting with myself over!

[​IMG]

i have also been painting pieces..so thats been time consuming....dissasemble, reassemble.......and so on....my front end is cleaned up, and painted...here is my front axle!!

[​IMG]

its actually aluminum leaf, and i did some shading old school style to give it dimensions.....i will be doing a lot of this kind fo stuff on the car..cause in essence.....its free....and easier to do while the cars in pieces...

i have also mocked up a new fuel cell...stony at oddball kustoms is going to bend me up a sweet new tank that fits nice and clean in the back of the car..

[​IMG]

21. JTW

JTW

any updates?

22. Square

Square
    from Canada

John what's going on?

we need some updates!!!

23. getting a bit done....i painted the car, red oxide primer..untill i can afford to get the body actually finished niced..it will stay this way..

frames all painted..gas tanks made..and interior is going in this week...

i will post more updated pics, once i get it back!

24. wow..ok..its been a busy summer...and things are slowly getting done on this car....

lets start with the paint job..red oxide primer..black frame...good for now, untill i can afford to get the body work completed....(in progress)
    [​IMG]

my buddy chris helped me with a new fuel cell....still not 100% done, but a great start...thats for sure..it fits perfectly in the back..

[​IMG]

i have also opted to stay away from the tunnel ram...its just too bulky for such a small car...so i cleaned up the original dual plane intake..and ill go with a single 4barrel carb..i might eventually go with a cool 2x2 setup...but its all about the money at this point..

[​IMG]

i originally had friction shocks mounted....but afre costing out heim joints..and feedback from friends..i went with standard shocks...actually i had these just laying around...so they didnt cost me a dime..

[​IMG]

and here is the best part of the car that has been completed recently...the interior.. curtwood customs did this up for me...great job!!

[​IMG]

and heres a final shot of how the car looks today......soon..i can almost taste it!!!

[​IMG]

25. retroridesbyrich

retroridesbyrich
    from Central NC

26. Coming together real good, great looking interior, keep it up man.

27. 510madmav

510madmav

28. Don's Hot Rods

Don's Hot Rods
    from florida

You've come a long way in not really a lot of time. Nice little 27 you are going to have there. :)

Don

29. Bilt

Bilt

Cool build. Get it togethor and then build a little trailer to pull to shows with your paint set up inside of it. Letter the doors with you business name. That would draw a crowd for you!!!!! Very cool car. I like it!!! Two thumbs ups!!!