Register now to get rid of these ads!

Did the Model A spring hanger on a V-8 axle deal

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Lucky77, Aug 8, 2011.

1. Lucky77

Lucky77

I have a Model A spring with reversed eyes going into my AV8 roadster. I'm using a 1938 axle and putting the spring on top. I really like the way Chris mounted the rear spring on one of his raodsters, so I decided to try it myself. I got a trashed Model A rear axle from Donut29 and cut off the ends of the axle where the spring hangers are located. After cutting off the flange just below the top two bolt holes, I trimmed them to fit. Line up everything with your bolts, and tack in place. There you go, simple as that. It's already back in the car. I may have to clearance the 1946 shock mounts, that shackles are rubbing against them. Other than that, this is a pretty simple and strong way to mount your spring once everything is welded in place.

Attached Files:

2. general gow

general gow
    Staff Member

neat solution. good stuff.

3. NYfatboy

NYfatboy

Man , if I had thought of that I wouldnt have sold my "A" rears for $35! Good thinking!

4. shinysideup

shinysideup
    BANNED
    from ruskin, fl

Thanks for posting this.

5. OLLIN

OLLIN

looks good, and strong. I just used the specialty ford one from the tardel book, but next time, Ill just do this...

6. Lucky77

Lucky77

Originally I bought a pair of weld on hangers from Posies. The instructions say if you're using a stock spring to place the hangers 48"-48.5" apart. I welded them up and put it all together. Everything looked cool and seemed to be working on the floor. I put the whole unit back under the car, and dropped it off the jack stands. When the weight was added the shackles collapsed and ended up pointing straight up and down. So the measurement that came with the hangers wasn't far enough apart. This solution solves that problem.

7. OLLIN

OLLIN

I did the same thing, and i am getting my spring shortened and reverse eyed, gonna get it back today. Hopefully that does the trick...

8. backwoodsdan

backwoodsdan

I did the same thing with my model A and a 39 rear, but using the 39 juice brakes, there was no room for brake lines. My solution was to move the cut off A hanger out to the edge of the bearing flange and weld it there with a spacer between it and the original 39 flange. It doesn't look quite as good, but the spring is right with weight on it and I can fit my brake lines in.

9. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

Another way to handle brake line interference is to rotate you backing plates forward just enough to gain clearance for the lines to exit. Basically, just redrill the pattern on the backing plate...

10. oldrelics

oldrelics
    from Calgary

Are the spring perches the same distance apart as the A axle? It looks like your axle is the 41-47 variety according to the backing plates and wishbones. Did you swap in the '38 bells and guts?

11. i copied Chris too. Went together easy didn't it!

I could be wrong as I haven't tried it yet, but if you remove the shock ball on the A perch I think it will make enough room for the brake line to go in.

12. Don Martin

Don Martin
    from West Tenn

Nice, so simple and all Ford parts. Thanks I'll put it to use on my AV8 build. Thanks

13. HotRodMicky

HotRodMicky

I did it ,too

On 36 and on axles they have a little raised point in the axle that you can grind away.
    That way the Model A hanger remains stronger WITHOUT the need to weld it.

14. woodypecker

woodypecker

Thanks for the pictures.

15. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Thanks, I've got a rear end with the bracket just like the old ones that were welded to yours in a couple of the photos before you cut them off. I was looking for a solution to be able to put the rear end under an A frame.

16. -Brent-

-Brent-

I'll be putting a set, like this, on my 36 rear for the 26 roadster. I'm concerned about it being a quick change though. I've heard some folks have had issues.

17. I'm not sure I understand the problem. Spring not clearing?

18. -Brent-

-Brent-

No, the d-shaft angle. I cannot confirm or deny since I'm just in the parts-and-info gathering stage.

19. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

No, generally when you put a quick change with a torque tube on a Model "A" spring your spring perches have to be rotated just a bit forward of their "natural" posistion to compensate for the angle the torque tube enters the center section. If you don't make that change, 9 out of 10 times you end up with the spring bound up on the shackles. Think of it as a pinion angle change on an open drive rear, if you raise the pinion, everything else has to follow suit.

20. I see what you are saying. It might not put the pinion at the right angle.

21. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

The saving grace on that deal could be a super deep "Zed" frame that would litterally raise you rear axle into a more natural alignment with the trans U-joint.

22. is that a concern when using a ford center section? I don't know much about quick changes and didn't know it changes the angle.

23. -Brent-

-Brent-

Thanks NL, that's kind-of what I figured. Still doable with the a perches, just need some massaging, I guess.

24. -Brent-

-Brent-

No, not the same. The stock center section has the pinion coming out higher than that of a QC.

25. Cool. I've learned a lot of new stuff today.

26. Elrod

Elrod

I have been wondering the same thing about the torque tube angle. However, there have been quite a few Quick Changes sold out there and I can't imagine that every person re-welds their spring hangers a degree or so forward.

Also, the fact that the T spring is lowering the rear end a couple of inches, wouldn't that put the pinion angle almost back in line with where the stock rear was on a taller A spring?

27. white64

white64
    from Maine

So I take it that using the model A perches on a big 46 to 48 (does my butt (rear) look big in these jeans (av8s)) passenger car axle just won't work. Because you need the 49.5 inch perch to perch?

Just use the aftermarket perches and put them where ever the centered 49.5 inches falls?

Last edited: Apr 5, 2012
  28. white64

white64
    from Maine

Or.... have a new longer main leaf made... ?

29. Elrod

Elrod

That would make mounting 40 ford backing plates much easier. With the model A spring hangers there up next to the backing plates, it's hard to plumb the brake lines since the brake cylinder is right there. Lincolns rear brakes with e-brakes are worse because the brake cylinder is even lower and they are also harder to clock either direction because of how the backing plate is stamped.

30. flatheadz-forever

flatheadz-forever
    from new jersey

helpful thread thank god I found this I needed some advice for my truck im building