Register now to get rid of these ads!

car transportation question

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by gatordave, Aug 8, 2011.

1. gatordave

gatordave

After two years of trying, we've finally sold the Atlanta house and we're moving to Gainesville, Fla.

I need to have my '56 Chevy shipped -- don't have time to drive it down and have someone drive me back up here.

I've requested quotes from the usual-suspect carriers -- Reliable, etc. -- and the first quote is $850, which seems awfully high.

Any suggestions?

Thanks.

2. yeah! take a stroll through the hambodex theres rick at showtime transport, and like 5 others... and for atl to gainesville that does sound like a lot....

3. dbradley

dbradley

An Internet source says 335 miles............. does seem high, but fuel costs are up since I've shipped one.

4. hevy-chevy

hevy-chevy

Howdy, and welcome to Gainesville!

5. chopcars

chopcars
    from new york

i just used GTrans [email protected] they gave me a good price and the service was excellent.

6. cowboy.3d

cowboy.3d
    from Austin TX

I used Intercity, from NYC to Austin earlier this year, expensive? YES, done right? Hells yes!!! And I would use them again....

7. rougebeats

rougebeats

I got quotes recently from 3 different companies (all found in the HAMB O DEX). I needed a 65 chevy 4 door that was a daily driver hauled from Calhan CO 80808 to Wyandotte MI 48192 and I didnt get a quote under $1375 and it had to be done after 3 weeks on their schedule.. With that being said, fuel prices only justify so much.

8. buckeye_01

buckeye_01

BenD or sign on to uship and auction it off.

9. hevy-chevy

hevy-chevy

This sounds like a long shot, but I found a couple of companies on Ebay. I was looking at a 57 chevy truck somewhere in Texas and to have it shipped to Gainesville Florida was not outrageously expensive. I THOUGHT that it was, but now reading other responces I see that it was not. Do a generic search on Ebay under 57 chevy truck. Look for the vehicles for sale, and then "calculate shipping". it will then give you a brake down comparison of what each company charges. I would then contact those companies to give them your to/from zip codes. I have never had a vehicle shipped, but I hope this helps. Where are you moving to in Gainesville?

10. BuiltFerComfort

BuiltFerComfort

Drive it down & fly back? Get a college student to drive it down? Rent a tow dolly & pull it behind a Ryder truck, or even inside the truck? (Avoid u-haul truck rental if you can). Getting someone to pull it on your schedule, cheap, is a long shot..

11. maniac

maniac

Although I don't transport cars, I have been in trucking for 35 years, it's like everything else.

Cheap, fast, quality............pick any 2.

12. He's right. That's a formula thats been around for a long time. Can't argue with it.

13. brad chevy

brad chevy

Get ahold of Tim here on the Hamb,hes right up the road from you and does hauls to Fla regularly.

14. WaynesSpeed

WaynesSpeed

I'm in the process with Intercity, 50 Chevy from Wyoming to NJ enclosed $1750.

15. corncobcoupe

corncobcoupe
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

SUGGESTIONS ? HECK YEA - he's practically in your back yard ( South Carolina )
    Showtime Transport - Rick Powell ( see link below)
    I have had several cars hauled for me from California to Iowa and Rick is trustworthy and honest as the day is long, slept at my place SO CALL HIM. Rick is close to you.

http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=614568

I have also used Ben D before who lives in Kansas. Look him up on the HAMB-O-Dex too.
    Ben may be traveling in that area.

Cob

Last edited: Aug 14, 2011
  16. Better read the post titled 11 days & still don't have my car before you use Intercity!

17. maniac

maniac

He NEVER mentioned Intercity, he used Uship, you get what you pay for with Uship, which ain't much usually

18. Gman0046

Gman0046

Saw someone on the Hamb O Dex at $.80/mile.

19. WaynesSpeed

WaynesSpeed

Bill, Yeah they originally told me 7-10 days to pick it up, It's going to be more like 3 weeks for pickup because of Pebble Beach next weekend. As long as it gets here with no problems I'm ok with it.

20. I used this site. http://www.transportreviews.com/
    I ended up going with Amerifrieght and it was $960 for Upstate NY to Nor Cal. From pick up to my door in 4 days. I would use them again.

21. I am sorry, I got Oldfarts shipping issues mixed up with another member that was having trouble with Intercity.

22. Machinos

Machinos

AFAIK most or all of the transporters here on the HAMB only do 1 or 2 cars at a time, usually just 1... at $1/mile probably at least 1/3rd of that goes straight to fuel over the loaded miles, not to mention all the deadheading that's always involved.

23. Thank you Machinos! It is suprising how many people don't understand how much it costs to be a transporter. Not only fuel but tolls, tires, maintenance, etc.. I quoted this at exactly $1.00 per loaded mile which is 10 cents off for being a hamb member. I have over well over 2 million miles of transporting so I am well past the point of doing it for the thrill of it! & the reason I am booked 2-3 weeks in advance is because my customers like my personalized service

24. 59 brook

59 brook

on this years power tour my buddies pontiac snapped the crank. we arranged transport thru hagerty where his insurance was from lexington kentucky to davie fl was around $850 and it was less then a week from the time he booked it till the car arrived in fla so i think your getting hosed as the car was further north and had to go further south