Register now to get rid of these ads!

"Barn Find" 33 Ford 5 Window Coupe

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by oldtimerodder72, Aug 2, 2011.

1. swissmike

swissmike

Excellent! Glad to see you taking a traditional approach.

2. RFH1931

RFH1931

Wow nice find.Must have been a dust free barn too !
    Like what your doing with it.Keep up the good work.

3. The Metalwork

As good as the car was there were still a few issues with the metalwork that needed to be addressed. A decision was made to get the car back together and drivable at present, not to give the car a full restoration at this time. As was mentioned previously, the car had received front end damage at some point in its history along with damage to the driver side rear quarter panel. Front end damage included; grille made unserviceable, front edges of the fenders and area below the grill was cracked and poorly fixed, hood was tweaked, front frame horns cut off, and bar stock added to increase strength on top of front crossmember. As for the driver side rear, inner trunk support snapped and was poorly fixed and the recess to mount the rear fender was poorly fixed with body filler. The bottom of the quarter at the front of the rear fender was found to contain rust, so a patch was needed for there as well.

[​IMG]

Bottom of passenger side rear fender. The area behind the taillight mounting point had be badly dished. Hammer and dolly work along with metal finishing was required to get this area back to the correct shape.

[​IMG]

The repaired and metal finished passenger side rear fender. Where the fender mounts to the running board had rusted requiring the front edge of the fender to be replaced.

[​IMG]

As with the mounting point for the running boards on the passenger rear fender, the driver side had rusted and required the fabrication of a new mounting point as well.

[​IMG]

The repaired and metal finished driver side rear fender.

[​IMG]

Being as I wasn't running the spare tire carrier, the mounting holes were filled in the gas tank cover.

[​IMG]

The passenger side mounting point for the rear bumper suffered from rust damage and was split. A patch was made to fix this problem.

[​IMG]

Repair and metal finishing of passenger rear fender in progress.

[​IMG]

At one point I had thought of running the car as a hiboy. The inner fenders were modified so that I might run headlight stands. With time the decision was made to keep the car full fendered. This modification needed to be undone.

[​IMG]

Overhead shot of the modification to the inner fender to allow the installation of headlight stands taken from the passenger side. Also note the cut off front frame horn and bar stock added to the top of the front crossmember for strength.

[​IMG]

The original 33 ford pedal mounting crossmember was removed, and a pedal mounting crossmember from a 40 Ford frame was installed. This allowed the hydraulic pedal set from a 39 Ford to be mounted correctly in the frame. Helped to retain a factory appearance.

[​IMG]

Cracking and poor repair to the bead area on the driver front fender.

[​IMG]

Poor repair to the driver fender where it bolts to the bottom edge of the grille.

[​IMG]

Passenger side fender where it bolts to the bottom of the grille. Notice pick damage from a previous attempt to fix this portion of the fender.

[​IMG]

Cracking and poor repair to the bead area on the passenger front fender.

[​IMG]

Repaired lower corner of the rear quarter panel to fix rust damage.

[​IMG]

The coupe as seen from the passenger side front. The back half of the car has been repaired. Now it's on to fitting the front sheetmetal and repairing the front fenders.

[​IMG]

The completed rear of the car taken from the passenger side.

[​IMG]

The completed rear of the car taken from the driver side.

Last edited: Aug 7, 2011
    Stogy likes this.
  4. [​IMG]

The pan with crank hole installed providing support to the bottom of the front fenders under the grille.

[​IMG]

The patch fitted to the driver side front fender repairing damage caused from years past. Was lucky to have this patch panel from another fender. The passenger side fender will require a new panel to be fabricated.

[​IMG]

Overhead view of the repaired driver side fender.

[​IMG]

Closeup showing the large front fender support bracket. This piece was crack and had one of the mounting holes enlarged. Has since been repaired.

[​IMG]

Driver side secondary support brace. Bolts to the frame, passes through the inner fender and bolts to the main fender support bracket.

[​IMG]

Passenger side secondary support brace. Bolts to the frame, passes through the inner fender and bolts to the main fender support bracket.

[​IMG]

Some photos of the front of the car with fitting and repair work on front fenders.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Stogy and kidcampbell71 like this.
  5. toranaback

toranaback

man, thats one beautifull car! great work!

6. FourBangNCanuck

FourBangNCanuck
    from ON, Canada

Real cool car man, that's quite the barn find.
    Do you have a hot rod shop in Mississigua?

7. Yes, I have a hot rod shop in Mississauga.

Stogy likes this.
  8. Super cool car !!!
    But it deserves something more exciting than a Isky 77B cam.
    Isky 77B is pretty lame, almost stock.
    Go for a good mid range Schneider or Potvin cam.

9. fordcpe

fordcpe

I like what you have done so far do you know the color yet.all blue. Darrell

10. dirty old man

dirty old man
    Member Emeritus

Cool coupe!!! Great workmanship!!!!!!!! An engine with the cubes you hsve can make good use of an Isky 400 Jr and still be streetable. I had one years ago in a '32 3w that I have regretted selling many, many times.

11. reefer

reefer

That is a seriously nice car....thanks for the updates,the pictures speak a thousand words.

please don`t put that greyhound back on....

12. dirty old man

dirty old man
    Member Emeritus

I vehemently disagree!!!!!!! I grew up loving '33&'34 Fords and I like the greyhound on a full fendered car.
    When I was a teenager over 50 years ago, a local mechanic whose shop I hung around a lot had a '34 Vicky as his daily driver that he even allowed me to drive a few times when he had to deliver a customer's car and I followed him to their residence. It had a greyhound radiator cap.
    Dave

13. DAPER DAVE

DAPER DAVE
    from N/A

14. Wear do you find these barns????

15. jimi'shemi291

jimi'shemi291

Jeez, not much I can add to Reefer's succinct comment! ;) As much as I love '32s, I'm partial to the '33s and '34s.:p LOTS of us are enjoying seeing SOMEbody score -- so well -- in 2011 !!! :eek:

16. thommoina33

thommoina33
    Alliance Member
    from australia
    Staff Member

brilliant car and great build, could you please provide tyre size and
    a few more details/pics of the 39 pedal fitup,does it bolt directly to the x member,what mods are required.
    cheers,thommo.

17. sololobo

sololobo

What a junker, some peple will drag home anything! Bad joke. That is so sweet man, the cosmetic stuff doesn't show in the pix and I love the black n' blue combo. This is my fave coupe of the 30's, best wishes for continued enjoyment, love the direction it is going in. Thanx for sharing ~sololobo~

18. k32t

k32t
    from Hog town

Nice car to bad I can't drink in the shop any more!

19. Itchy-Pit

Itchy-Pit

20. nickk

nickk

this is a really nice car and i love everything youve done with it so far

21. I know that the 32s are supposed to be the landmark hotrod year but I've always thought that the 33s and 34s were the best looking 30s era Fords by far.

22. GaryB

GaryB
    from Reno,nv

awesome build,33-34 5winders beautiful cars.

23. sierra rod shop

sierra rod shop

24. Coming along real nice. That's some nice work you are doing.

25. Offset

Offset
    from Canada

Junker, I'll pick it up and get it out of your way next week!!

Very nice find and a really pretty car. Good luck with it.

26. 70kid

70kid
    from Denver

What an absolutely great looking car.

Love the Blue, Love the Black......

Keep it up

27. slobroy

slobroy

Any updates? It's been a year...

28. nice 33 quality workmanship

29. ss34coupe

ss34coupe

Great work but we need updates!

30. I usually favour 34s but this coupe wins hands down. Very cool car and history. Oh and the greyhound looks right. JW