Register now to get rid of these ads!

Supernats 2011 in England

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by TomT, Aug 2, 2011.

1. Most of us have a “bucket list” having to do with all those things/items/trips we want to do before we “kick-the-bucket”. Well, it just so happens that I got a chance to add an item to my bucket list a month or so ago and I’m now doing that new bucket list item this weekend.

I’m presently here in sunny old England attending the NSRA SuperNats with Steve Lang (Langy here on the HAMB), his wife Sue, their fantastic Model A roadster pickup, Brian Lucas and his charming wife Wendy with their inspiring 32 Ford roadster, flattie/5-speed, one of the main inspirations for my avatar. I met Steve and Brian 7 years ago on my last trip to England and we’ve kept up the friendship since then, swapping stories, telling lies, finding/sourcing out parts, ideas, long-distance car problem solving, and so much more. Nicer folks you could not meet but then again, this is the HAMB, and we have all been there and done that with respct to the folks of the HAMB.

I’m super pumped about being here and I’m hoping to share my experience with all of you. The following is a picture summary of each of the 3 days I’ll be here and some garage shots at Brian’s and Steve’s – I apologize in advance for any not so HAMB friendly items.

I trained it over to Brian’s place – I was far from home but it was pretty nice to be picked up at the station in an awesome 32 roadster. Here are some shots of Brian’s garage, his fantastic 32 roadster, and his new project, a hopped up 4-banger/5-speed 4-door phaeton.

Attached Files:

2. After lunch together, Brian and Sue took me over to Steve’s place. So what was the owner/operator of Langy’s Rod Shop doing as we drove up? Playing with the fitment on his personal new blown 1970 500 CI Cadillac powered Willy’s gasser using his own newly molded f-glass body. It’s been well received so far with one having been shipped to the states as well as 7 others going to customers in the UK and Europe. Now check out Sue’s oh-so-cool roadster p-up – the car rides and handles super nice – a great running 215 V8 and C4 power Sue’s little baby very nicely. The build level detail and one-off engineered items is evident all over this car, all of which are so much a part of Steve’s trademark. I also got to see Steve’s 32 roadster that unfortunately has carb issues, forcing him to leave it home. As anyone knows who runs a shop, time for your own personal builds is always at a premium. We started “catching up” immediately and after Sue served up a great dinner, we talked cars until sometime past midnight

Attached Files:

3. The next morning we prepped to caravan to the show – although it was grey some of the time, the weather should be cool but with no rain. Since I left Williamsburg with 100 degree plus heat, the cool English weather was most welcome. Brian came by Steve’s and we picked up another 32 roadster of Steve and Sandra's and Adam's 57 Chevy along the way. Most folks camp/tent at English shows and the shows themselves are usually held on grass vs blacktop. What’s really nice is that the camping and show area are one in the same – so, your car stays with you at your campsite and you do not have to “travel” to the show area. Tents and campers of all different shapes and sizes are set up fairly orderly throughout the show grounds. This is an NSRA show and it’s NSRA members only Fri-Sat, with the show open to non-NSRA members and spectators on Sunday. Friday is a fairly light day but there were still many very different rides in attendance.

Attached Files:

4. More Day 1 pics ....

Attached Files:

5. More Day 1 pics ...

Attached Files:

6. More Day 1 ...

Attached Files:

7. rockstar96

rockstar96

Tom these are some very good cars in these pics and i am very glad to hear you are having a good time over here.

David

8. More Day 1 pics ....

Attached Files:

9. Day 1 continued ....

Attached Files:

10. One more bunch ....

Attached Files:

11. Few more .... and that's it for Day 1 - a great day to be sure ....

Attached Files:

12. Thanks, David - they build some great cars over there .....

13. jackandeuces

jackandeuces

Tom, Looks like a great adventure, by chance was my old coupe (Now belongs to Mark Gale) there?????

14. Day 2 started off great – nothing like hot rods in the morning sun, shedding their\ night time dew and making for some great shots. I also got to see the Shuttleworth Air Museum – fantastic collection of pre-WW1 through WW2 airplanes that all are still flown, many are 1-only remaining/existing models. I won't post those pics here but PM me and I'll send you a link of the pics. The day was capped off with a great dinner and some fun time at all the amusement park rides and a great band. Some great cars were on hand, had a great time with my friends, made some new ones, and just had a fantastic day. Myfavorite car of the show wasthe 32 Ford 5-window in flat black, WWs - the car was just dead nuts perfect in my book. funny thing, it was bought in the states and brought over to England within the last year.

Attached Files:

15. Hey, Jack, yeah it's been fantastic - no, I never saw your coupe at all at the show adn I had several folks looking. either I just missed him or perhaps he was at the Hayride which was the same weekend - should see you guys Sat morning for b-fast - got you a show t-shirt, BTW, and I wore your shirt all day Sat just in case .....

16. six pack to go

six pack to go
    from new jersey

Love that red Model A pick up!!

17. More Day 2 pics ....

Attached Files:

18. langy

langy
    Member Emeritus

Glad you had a great time Tom, It was great to see you again, Hope we can make it to yours real soon.

Cheers
    Steve

19. Morrisman

Morrisman
    from England

And a cool time was had by all by the sound of it.

I actually built the car below, and there's a build up of it here on the Hamb about six or seven years ago. 1934 Morris 8. :D

The new owner seems to get all over the place in it, and has done several upgrades and changes. This is what it is all about.

[​IMG]

20. This car was all over the place at the show - great build!

21. More second day pics - the Willys was fantastic. The owner was talking about body work and paint - I did put in my 2 cents to leave it just as it is .....

Attached Files:

22. More day 2 ....

Attached Files:

Last edited: Aug 5, 2011
  23. More ....

Attached Files:

24. Still more ...

Attached Files:

25. rld14

rld14

Great pics! I've spoken to the guy who has the Mercury Wagon before on another site. Any PA crestas?

26. mgtstumpy

mgtstumpy

A couple of Ozzie cars a long way from home, an old Holden (GM) and an old spinner Ford ute (Ranchero).

Attached Files:

27. Ed Wrath

Ed Wrath

It was really good to meet you Tom. Glad you had a good time over here and trust you had a good trip home.
    PS. Nice to see you obviously have great taste in Hot Rods!

28. Pez

Pez

Glad you had a good time Tom, it was great to meet you... Now got my 'all rebuilt' Tri Power ( 3 x 97's) and building the 327, so the dual Rochester's will be gone over the winter

29. Merlin

Merlin
    from Inman, SC

Great pics Tom thanks for sharing.

30. Morrisman

Morrisman
    from England

Is this a Deaths Doorstep clone? Looks mighty similar. I like it. :D

[​IMG]