Register now to get rid of these ads!

History Drag cars in motion.......picture thread.

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Royalshifter, Dec 12, 2007.

1. Tony Travers

Tony Travers

Howdy All
    This car has just been traded for a '50's Buick and is heading down to Millicent SA with it's new owner for resto.
    Cheers
    Tony

2. Please familiarize yourself with the "quote" button so readers can determine what previous post you're referring to.:)

3. Tom S. in Tn.

Tom S. in Tn.

I still wonder about Huntsville. That used to be a heck of a place and anything could race. I almost bet if someone had $$ to throw around for nitro, they'd let them show off. My son tells me there's plenty of NO2 used there.
    And there is a place called Gleason here also that runs along those same lines. No one would ever ask what was in the tank.

I tried to phone Charlie Harmon yesterday but the phone kept getting out of service. I am wondering if they have liability coverage on Fun Racing days to let a nitro car make passes.

Really be neat if there was a couple of us to show up and race each other.
    I guess I need to quit dreaming and get back to work. Winters coming.
    Thanx fellas; Tom S. in Tn.

4. WhitePunkOnNitro

WhitePunkOnNitro
    from Middle Tn

There are a bunch of outlaw tracks around here that could care less what you had in the tank. Buffalo Valley is less than an hour from Nashville and would be a great place for general testing and short squirts. Crossville would welcome any nitro car any time, same thing with 411 Dragway out in Knoxville. There are others, but these are places where I have actually been to and talked to the owners about running nitro.

5. rick finch

rick finch

The "Bright Boys" twin SBC's on fuel.....

[​IMG]

6. rick finch

rick finch

The "Twin Bear".....

[​IMG]

7. rick finch

rick finch

Holly Hedrich.....

[​IMG]

8. JBell

JBell
    from California

Hello, This is a large stretch, but there was a rear 3/4 photo of a belly tanker with the number 360, or 390 on it side. Anyone know where to find out more about that car?

10. drofrockology

drofrockology
    from Reno, NV

11. Royalshifter

Royalshifter
    from California

Holy shit I just got wood...........:eek::D

12. aafa729

aafa729

This car is currently sitting in my shop. Donnie and Bobby Johansen are making it into a runner instead of just a display car.

13. rick finch

rick finch

Outstanding! :cool: Will they let you post some pics? That car is one of my all time favorites.....

14. derelict

derelict

That car is everyone's favorite...

15. rick finch

rick finch

Man! You're alive.....how ya doin' bro?

16. 296ardun

296ardun

Rick, thanks for posting...Holly was a Pasadena guy who spent a bunch of money on this roadster, all to beat the Speed Sport roadster, which he never did. Holly's roadster was well finished, but was too heavy and too ill-handling to be really competitive. He sold it for $2000, I think, and went to work for Keith Black. Those of us who worked at Blair's liked to see Holly come in because he kept us in paychecks. He has since passed away, wonder where the roadster went?

17. Tom S. in Tn.

Tom S. in Tn.

What do you all think about Toymakers twin currently being constructed elsewhere here on the HAMB?
    I think it's a trip.
    Tom S.

18. Tom S. in Tn.

Tom S. in Tn.

I sure thought Buffalo was history. I never even ask about it because I never heard anyone talk about the place. That place was on the bottom the list in the 60's. Dirt track still open also?
    They'd probably enjoy the show, but seriously, I can not find anything about that track anywhere today. Contact #?
    Now FYI;
    Read the rules relating to fuel for the various different types of class they have for 411 and look where it states in more than one place, " Nitromethane in any percentage prohibited ! "

http://411dragway.info/Rules.html

Any bets about I-40 in Crossville?
    No one carries liability coverage for nitro cars. The only alternative is a place that doesn't care about things like liability and has no coverage at all, but I've been there and got the scars to show for it, and was able to outgrow that phase.
    Maybe build one without a coupler and let sit and make flames.
    Naaa...... hell I wanna race.
    Tom S. in Tn.

19. WhitePunkOnNitro

WhitePunkOnNitro
    from Middle Tn

You're correct about the "class rules", but we're not talking about running any specific class. Strictly test and tune or exhibition. Tech at Buffalo consists of handing over your cash and signing a waver...done, you're in.
    As for Crossville, I tested there a bunch of years ago with a Blown Fuel Doorslammer,,,in a snowstorm no less. And, my bud out in Knoxville has a open invitation to bring his N/FC out to 411 anytime and fog in the place.
    I can tell you from first hand experience at a bunch of strips all over the country, that if you show up with a fueler and tell them you just want to shake it down, they will roll out the red carpet regardless of what the rules say.

20. Tom S. in Tn.

Tom S. in Tn.

......... hmmmm. WPON, I kind of wish I didn't know this now.
    In years gone by, the only time we could run outside a National event or points race was when the Cavalcade cars were scheduled somewhere, or a special Pro Comp gathering was booked. We virtually never heard the car run unless we were at a track out of town. No way to race in a single day without having to stay somewhere at least one night.
    The highlight of our year was the Sports Nats where we could camp the week for a nickel and go to the fair park at night. But you had to have run points race within a year to be eligible and that could mean a trip to Lakeland Fla.
    I really wish I could start over with a front engine car and an injected motor and pick up where I left off.
    Wonder where a guy could find a salvageable Milodon or something? Weldable JP-4?

21. WCD

WCD

This was one of the lesser knowwn twins that ever ran. Not a lot of folks know about itit-until now anyway.

22. WCD

WCD

Everytime I drive past the Miler Beer plant, I glance over and think what might be were the track to be still be there. A nice dragstrip, MX racing and methonol burning sppedway racing all within 16 minutes away. There was room to extend the shutoff area to accomodate 300 MPH cars; just move an acre or two of boulders. No local residents to incite noise complaints and two two goodsize freeways to allow the ingress and egress of traffic. I will be at Irwindale Speedway on the 13th to watch NASCAR, while not a dragstrip, it is a venue that is the equal of dragstrip in terms of food, ameneties and decent racing.

23. Mazooma1

Mazooma1

The "new" Irwindale ("Toyota, whatever") is a nice facility with a nice 1/8th mile drag strip, although it's about two miles southwest of the old Irwindale Drag Strip.
    The "new" oval facility is just 1/3 mile (at the most) west of the old San Gabriel Drag Strip and the even older original SGDS.

The old Irwindale was darn near 4,000ft long....so it was plenty long, even by today's standards.

24. trksmth

trksmth

Here's me today 8/7/2011, First time in 40 plus years, this car was run.

Attached Files:

25. Novadude55

Novadude55
    from CA

Yee Haw,,

26. fiat gasser

fiat gasser

How'd she run?

27. Quote:
    Originally Posted by trksmth [​IMG]
    Here's me today 8/7/2011, First time in 40 plus years, this car was run.

Absofreakinlutely.

28. Tom S. in Tn.

Tom S. in Tn.

[​IMG]

Compare the above photo to one of around the same time frame of state of the art central Ga strips where funny car racing was first conceived, and note that even though there were staging beams at the starting line, races were run heads up and flag started.

[​IMG]

The above photo was pirated from the Ronnie Evans collection found at the Double H Drag Strip website, dedicated to archival history of Div II racing at it's finest found in central Georgia.
    Note the level of spectator interest and participation. You won't find these in glossy magazine centerfolds.
    A very special thanx to Mr. Evans and everyone dedicated to the preservation of Div II racing history.
    The rest of the world needs to see more of this ;
    Tom S. in Tn.

Last edited: Aug 9, 2011
  29. Mazooma1

Mazooma1

more rural stuff

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

can't get more "rural" than a dirt track

[​IMG]

30. Tom S. in Tn.

Tom S. in Tn.

........ now here we go !!
    Where on the internet can this be found? Any linx??
    Thanx; Tom S.