Register now to get rid of these ads!

History Sprimgfield Dirt Track - Bolivar Speedway Tow Tuck

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by John "Gunner" Gunnell, Aug 6, 2011.

1. John "Gunner" Gunnell

John "Gunner" Gunnell
    from Iola, WI

I just bought a '75 Ford F350 Tow truck that was owned by Lee Robinson who operated Lee's Amoco Service Center at Grant and Commercial in Springfield, MO This truck was used at Springfield Dirt Track (now Springfield Raceway) and Bolivar Speedway in the late '70s. The 2-owner truck has a 390 4-speed and 39,000 original miles. It was made into a wrecker by Porter's Ready-Built in Kansas City and was their demo truck until Lee Robinson bought it. I am looking for history and photos on my truck. Thanks.

2. How about a pic John?

3. 69supercj

69supercj

I'll see what I can find. I live here in SW MO and have several friends who raced at Bolivar back then and some that still race at Springfield Raceway, formerly known as the Airport Speedway.

4. John "Gunner" Gunnell

John "Gunner" Gunnell
    from Iola, WI

Max

I put an image in Gunner's cars along with the TD I picked up last year for $500 that I'm slowly making into a hot rod. And I deleted the '57 Buick I gave to my son.

5. John "Gunner" Gunnell

John "Gunner" Gunnell
    from Iola, WI

69SuperC

Since I posted I learned that Calvin Porter who built my truck passed away in May. It is a Porter Ready-Built wrecker and it was Calvin's demo. On ther Kansas City funeral home's website there is actually a slideshow with a picture of my actual truck when it was brand new. Calvin sold it to Lee Robinson of Springfield who ran/rums Lee's Service Center there. Lee's is or was an Amoco dealer.

6. John "Gunner" Gunnell

John "Gunner" Gunnell
    from Iola, WI

Well, as you can see I finally figured out how to attach photos to a message.

7. John "Gunner" Gunnell

John "Gunner" Gunnell
    from Iola, WI

Lets try that again

Attached Files:

8. wickedgoodracer

wickedgoodracer

sweet,axle ALL THE WAY back,that truck will haul almost any 6 wheel rig except big rigs