Register now to get rid of these ads!

engine suggestions

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Johnny Chaos, Aug 6, 2011.

1. Johnny Chaos

Johnny Chaos

OK.....I just bought a 56 F100. It's completely apart and will take me a long time to finish it. The seller gave me a y-block, a 460 and a 289.

I was planning on using the y-block. BUT.........

I asked a guy who is in his late 70's I am friends with. He owns a shop and has had a ton of different cars in his lifetime. (he has more car knowledge than anyone else I know) He said the y-block was a horrible motor and listed a variety of reasons for his opinion. He said I should use the 460.

What opinions do you guys have about the choices available to me??????

I can't give you specific details on any of the motors as I only had a day to move everything and I stuffed it all in the garage and I won't be able to get the the motors for weeks to find casting numbers and such.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.
    Johnny

2. What a load of crap, ive got a 272 boat anchor in my bucket and it runs like a clock and never gives trouble. Go with the Y block and you can't go wrong.

3. Johnny Chaos

Johnny Chaos

I love the look of the y-block and I figure any inherent problems they had in the past have solutions available now. I just want more pros and cons from you all.

4. They definatly are a beautiful looking old motor, We addapted a later model SB ford distributer and are running a set of pertronix electronic points eliminators and it definatly runs alot smoother, the only problem with the motor is the leaky old 94's we are running on top, but im going to change those for a set of the new edelbrock copys.

5. F&J

F&J

Just me, I stay away from massive cubic inches if it will be driven a lot of miles as a daily.

The old motors got a reputation for oiling and smoking problems, but that was due to the non detergent oil. All the old motors plugged up with sludge and smoked, even the sbc that everyone says is more reliable.

6. Johnny Chaos

Johnny Chaos

Well living in upstate NY, daily driven when it's not snowing :)

7. Of the engines you mentioned, I would pick the one that ould fit the plan for the truck the best. Daily driven, go for reliabiliy and mileage (289 imho). Cool factor, yblock. Torque and fillin' up the engine compartment, 460.

Again, just my opinion.

8. RichFox

RichFox
    Member Emeritus

I had a 460. Liked it just fine. Milage sucked, but maybe it would have anyway. I didn't drive faster because of the extra inches. The make good truck motors.

9. flamedabone

flamedabone
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

My Dad worked in a service station in the 50s and 60s and he HATES!!!!!! Y blocks. I mean he absolutely freaks out If I even mention them.

He curses the oiling system, valve train, timing chains, bearings, you name it, he hates it.

BUT. That was then, this is now. Y blocks are very nice looking engines and can be made to live a long time with a bit of knowledge and a small pile of cash.

The 460 and the 289 will kick the Y blocks ass in every single way, except coolness.

Build the Y block, you will be fine.

Good luck, -Abone.

10. SmoKerch

SmoKerch

Use something else.

Give me the Y-Block

:rolleyes:

11. myhot56

myhot56

Love the Y-block idea,but also love the 289. I have a 302 in my 56 ford fairlane and ive driven it all over western canada trouble free for 11 years,good gas milage to boot! it really comes down to personal preference...just my opinion!

12. Deuce Roadster

Deuce Roadster
    Member Emeritus

NONE of the above ... sell all of them and buy yourself a wrecked Mustang with a 302 and AOD.

I would put a Chevy in it but that is just me ...

[​IMG]

13. moparmonkey

moparmonkey
    from NorCal

I had a '56 F100 with a bored over Y-block for a few years. I ran that thing all over the state of California, drove it 6+ hours straight from NorCal to LA, used it as a daily driver in San Diego for 6 months or so, drove it 9+ hours from San Diego back to NorCal. I drove it in traffic, flat out on the freeway at 70 mph, in stop-and-go gridlock (fun with a 3 on the tree), you name it. Guy I sold it to drove it from NorCal to central AZ in one stretch, didn't have a single issue with it.

And it had decent power too, plenty for an old truck. I wanna say it was bored out to 292 ci, but I could be wrong, that's just what the PO told me. I didn't re-build the engine, just tuned it up and got it running. Had a pretty mild cam (stock maybe?) in it and small 4 barrel on top. At one point while I was tuning it up and sorting it out I had it running on 2 cylinders (ignition issue). Blew my mind it would run like that.

I'd keep the Y block. It'll be as reliable as you want to make it, little things like modernizing the ignition and putting a decent carb on it will make a big difference. I'd stay away from the 460 for sure though if you're going to drive it. Good engine, but it'll never get much over 10 mpg, and the price of gas isn't going down anytime soon. A 289 would work fine too, but since its not really a displacement issue I'd just keep the Y block.

14. wickedgoodracer

wickedgoodracer

y block,they used em in trucks and busses,live long and prosper

15. The 460 is as others have noted a gas hog, and it's a lot of power for a relatively light pickup, enough to get sideways with you if you get on it. Only way I'd choose the 460 would be if I were going to be towing heavy stuff with it. Do you know what displacement the Y block is--239, 256, 272, 312, etc.? Although it won't match the 460, the Y was originally designed as a truck motor, so it's no slouch on torque. The Y will cost significantly more to build up front, but if you've got a good Y block and you keep good clean oil in it, it's a very hard engine to kill. I've been personally acquainted with Y blocks that went past 200,000 before they ever had the heads or pan off. The 289 will be the least expensive to build, will have adequate power for a daily driver, and will give the best fuel economy of the three options. It all comes down to what is most important to you and how you're going to use the truck.

16. Johnny Chaos

Johnny Chaos

Thanks for all the responses. I think I'm going back to my original plan of the y-block. I will be driving it daily so the 460 already had a strike against it (and it's all apart) The 289 is together but the "most common" of the three, not to take anything away from it, it's still cool and I will probably use it in something. When I brought up the y-block to my friend in conversation it was almost like I slapped his mother, kind of like what flamedabone mentioned. He actually had hatred for the engine:) but he is an older fella and his point of reference is from when they were in current models. I figure with all the advances in oil and all the aftermarket options the y-block should be fine. Thanks again for giving me a little push in the direction I was heading.
    Johnny

17. Ruiner

Ruiner

I'm confused as to why the 460 is considered such a gas hog, I have a 383 in my '63 Dodge and I get close to 20mpg in that 2 ton land barge...with 2.60-3.20 gears you should have plenty of torque with the 460 to move that truck and with a 2bbl you should be able to get 15mpg...or maybe 460's are just poorly designed and won't ever get good mileage, I have no personal experience with them...

Personally I'd go with the 289, mildly hopped up with a good 2bbl and an overdrive trans with 3.50 gears...build it for low end power and you'll be good to go...

18. edseldude

edseldude
    from bedford va

What ever you do dont put a small boring chevrolet it it. I am partial to the sbf ,esp. the 289. I have them in several of my cars, I even ahve one in my race truck. It runs 7.60's in the 1/8th mile. I like the 460 but if youre gonna drive it use the small block.You'll get decent mileage and power. Put a good set of aluminum heads (paint them so no one knows) and a good cam and intake . You'll love it.
    Grab a c-4 trans and set up some 3.25-3.50 gears and let it roll.

19. Unless you plan on pulling houses off of their foundation or moving really heavy stuff I would stay away from that 460. Don't get me wrong, great engine for the type of truck that is really a piece of equipment, but with seeing gas at $3.80 a gallon the thought of a 460 for a driver makes me cringe. I run a 302 roller motor in my driver and can't sing the praises of the small ford enough. Parts are easy to find, get good gas mileage. You can even dress the engine and make it look nostalgic, but for drop in convenience and traditional cool there is no beating a well maintained 272, 292, 312.

20. The 289 will work and be the least expensive to maintain and run. Sell the 460 to fund your projects. I also like the y blocks. Modern oils help to keep the internals clean. and they just sound great!But parts for it might be a problem if you break down on the road. I would clean it up and put it on a stand and keep it.

21. I raced a 312 in the late '60s. Loved it. Drove several Y Block powered cars in that time period and other than changing a cam is a bugger (as I recall) I don't have anything bad to say about them. I am sorry that your old friend doesn't like them.

I guess it depends on what you want the old effie to do and the condition of the engines in qusestion as well as how deep your pockets are.

22. indyjps

indyjps

Whats the rest of the build, period hot rod truck, 289 4 speed. street strip 460. daily driver the 289 will be more enjoyable. Never messed with a Y block.

23. oldcarfart

oldcarfart

289, just as cheap as a chebby anymore with the popularity of the 5.0 Mustangs

24. Johnny Chaos

Johnny Chaos

Well this is the Hamb, I will be period correct but not over the top. No tubs, No billet. I would say just a drop axle and lowering springs with a nice looking motor and I'm content. The 460 is apart. The y-block and the 289 are together and turn over by hand. This build will be over the course of a year or more so the initial cost isn't as much of a concern as having it done once. I'm leaning toward the y-block.

25. Y block! 289s are for rustangs.

26. xhotrodder

xhotrodder

Have you measured the length of the 289. If I remember right it is a little longer with a transmission hooked up to it. My buddy has a 272 in his 57 Ford, and he has distributor problems. Says he can't get a modern dist. for it. For parts replacement out on the road, I'd go with the 289. If not the y-block would be my 2nd choice. Just my 2 cents.

27. What do you expect the engine to do for you?

You said "daily driver", so obviously reliability is the primary factor, but what else? Weekend drag racing? Towing/hauling? Cruising? Stoplight rivalry? Gas mileage? Will you want A/C, power steering, an automatic trans?

All this will help us answer you. ;)

28. There are at least two companies that offer brand new distributors for the Y block: MSD and Mallory, in various versions.

In addition, Cardone still remanufactures the '57-'64 style of distributor, which is available (under various "brand" numbers) at NAPA, AutoZone, O'Reillys, Advance Auto, and probably other chains as well.

The Cardone unit (or any '57-'64 FoMoCo original Y block unit) can be easily converted to electronics by using Pertronix kits, or kits from Accel. Mallory & Crane used to offer them...I don't know offhand if they still do. Actually, these distributors are functionally identical to any '57-'74 single-point Ford distributor for whichever V-8 engine and any kit that fits one will fit the other so far as I have found.

The older "Load-O-Matic" '54-'56 distributors are harder to find, but most T-Bird restoration houses still offer them, again in different versions (tach drive, etc.). Pertronix offers an electronic conversion for these as well.

Finally, GMC BUBBA here on the H.A.M.B. offers in-house electronic conversions to Ford distributors, or old Mallory pieces, or probably just about anything you care to bring to him. ;)

Though it is true that '54-'56 engines can be a bit (or a lot) more complicated to update to a newer distributor, depending on the engine and year, it can still be done.

29. Johnny Chaos

Johnny Chaos

The truck will be a DD on sunny days. I won't be racing or towing or showing, just enjoying:). I think the y-block is the winner. After hearing the positive comments supporting the y-block I think it will be fine. I realize the initial cost may be more but I think of the three choices the y-block is most "interesting" and "uncommon" which is why I was leaning that way to begin with.

The only strikes against it were the opinions I heard criticizing the oiling issues and such. I think the detergents and the overall quality of motor oil has gotten better over the years enough to combat those issues.

30. One nice thing about the Y block is that, internet hype aside, you can build a nice, reliable DD, with plenty of power, without using a ton of aftermarket parts, or hunting up some exotic version. When you get a chance to find the casting numbers, you might update the thread.

One thing to ponder about the Y block, before you spend any money one way or t'other, is to think about your choice of transmissions. For most decent automatics or O/D automatics, you will need to budget in an adapter plate or bell, which are some $$. It is possible to run reasonably modern manual transmissions- certain Toploaders, the T-10, or the T-5 5-speed- but you will want to get the right bellhousing. The light duty 3-speed truck bellhousing will directly bolt in and can be modified for the T-5, or you can also use the 4-speeds with some work (with some it is almost a bolt-in). The factory truck 4-speed (T-98) bell won't work with any of these transmissions.

The factory light duty 3-speed will work fine, if you are OK with a 3-speed. The O/D 3-speed will also be fine, but is harder to find parts for. The original MD & HD 3-speeds and the 4-speed should probably be avoided; they were all designed for heavier trucks, and, well, they shift like you would expect.

All these problems can be solved, but it pays to figure it out before you get the engine done...there's nothing like having to wait for expensive parts in the middle of an engine swap. :)