Register now to get rid of these ads!

question about new cable drive wiper systems

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by mink, Aug 5, 2011.

1. mink

mink
    from CT

Is any one running one. Any thoughts on the specialty power windows brand. Would the 6 ft cable be long enough for setup in a 1932 sedan

2. Ghost28

Ghost28

I had the 6 foot unit in a 32 chevy coupe amd it worked great.

Ps there is another company that is selling what looks like a identical unit for about half the price now. Ii will try to get the name.

3. mink

mink
    from CT

4. butcherted

butcherted
    from hagerstown

I use the system in a 37 Nash and it worked great.

5. brigrat

brigrat
    from Wa.St.

SPW wiper kit, one of the best aftermarket parts you can buy BUT if someone is making the same quality kit for half the bucks I would like to see it......................

6. Ghost28

Ghost28

The quality looks the same. A friend bought the new ez wiring wiper kit and to me it looks like specialty lost there design patten. The kit from ez wiring costs $145.00 What I did notice is they don't offer the adjustable delay switch with the easy kit.

7. davidbistolas

davidbistolas

8. Normal Norman

Normal Norman
    from Goshen IN.

The first thing I noticed about the EZ wiring kit was no instructions! I had installed a couple of SPW kits so I repeted what I did with them. The quality looked the same but you gotta wonder if it is Chinese. It is a great price. Normal Norman

9. Bassfire

Bassfire
    from Mart, Tx.

If you are a do it yourself builder you can make your own setup with an emergency brake cable and a GM wiper motor. I have not tried it but an old hot rodder told me he had been building his own for a number if years.

10. hotrod_32

hotrod_32

spw is a great set up ! no problems here.

11. brigrat

brigrat
    from Wa.St.

Really torn on this one, I have installed lots of SPW wiper kits without a hitch and when you do need to call they are there with the answers on anything they sell. The part that get's me is that someone can steal, to the "T", there product. I am all for saving a buck or 2 but SPW is one company that I know I will get what I paid for unlike alot of other after market parts. For my personal use I will use the SPW, for customer projects well now they have another option and can do the choosing.................

12. Ghost28

Ghost28

Yeah I like the spw wipers and window kits. I have a new wiper kit on the shelf for my project. They are great folks to work with, but I might have to try one of the ez kits for a future build. I have bought there wiring kits and had good customer service with them also.

It's all good until it's not...John

13. Boones

Boones
    from Kent, Wa
    1. Northwest HAMBers

several years ago I did an article in Rod magazine on them. I had one installed in my 53 and would do it again. I have used the aftermarket motors but they do not sweep beyond 90 degress. see my website in my link below on how to do an install. )look under "Boones rides past and present" for the photos

14. Just bought an EZ Wiring cable wiper kit, my question is, what wiper arms fit the splined hubs? They look 1/2" diameter while my F100 hubs are 17/32".

15. 26 roadster

26 roadster

I have always used MG Midget (longer than MGB) units, a local source sold them to me for 25.00. That was some years back but I have two put up for closed cars. Cable drive is the only way to go. I have used this new wiper unit for 30 years!

16. flamed34

flamed34

Jaguars used them as well. I have a couple of units - one from a '72 XJ6 and one from a 74 XJ6. I'm sure they were run for years and are fairly common in the junkyards.

17. 40Standard

40Standard
    from Indy

I put one in a 57 Chevy about 8 yrs ago. It worked fine but I found it difficult to install, can't remember why

18. Lobucrod

Lobucrod
    Alliance Vendor
    from Texas

I installed a SPC unit in my 38 chevy coupe about 12 years ago. Never had a prob with it. I ran across a NOS SPC kit on CL for $100 about a year ago. Scarfed it up right quick even though I didn't have anything to use it on. I picked up a 37 PU project a few months ago so its going on it.

19. Great info as usual, thanks!
    I'm very impressed with the EZ wiper kit EXCEPT everything is metric. I'll measure my 56 wiper arms and hit the yards this week.

Wow, easy-peasy! Mounted the motor behind the pass. kick panel. Even used the original knob and bezel with the new switch.

Last edited: Dec 15, 2011
  20. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

21. mj40's

mj40's

I used the “It's a Snap” kit, which is no longer being made. Motor is a Delco Remy unit and all looks good but the wiper transmissions seem to be the weak point. On one of them I can't get the gears to mesh with the drive cable. It looks just like the Ez Wire unit and the SPW. They all look the same but quite a spread in pricing. Looks like I"m going to have to buy another kit to replace this one and hope the quality of the transmissions are better.