Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Our new Project: '36 Ford 5w Coupe Build

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by farmergal, Jun 26, 2011.

1. Let me know if you need any help on the floors. I did mine in my 50 Chevy. I have a bead roller and it stiffens them up nicely. I used 18 guage. Todd

2. sawbuck

sawbuck
    from 06492 ct

gonna be a nice coupe...keep us posted

3. farmergal

farmergal
    from somewhere

thanks for the offer todd! That might be really helpful for us! We havent had much time to work on it right now but i will keep in touch once we get far enough along to put the floors in. the folks on the HAMB are always so generous!!!

4. RAF

RAF
    from MA.

Great looking project!! Take a lot of pictures so we can follow the build.

5. finn

finn

I picked up a 36 5 window a couple of weeks ago also.

Looks like there's going to be a run on floors, rockers, and patch panels.

I have to figure out how to post pictures. Mine's a real disaster! Makes Rocky's friend's car look like a low mileage survivor.

6. farmergal

farmergal
    from somewhere

i have lots of photos to share of a whole-lotta zero progress :) :) haha. i will find time to get them all on the computer to share. once we get these final car shows out of the way; we'll be ready to do work on this one. looks like we're going to spend another long, cold, snowy winter out in the garage when its -15 outside :)

7. farmergal

farmergal
    from somewhere

i promise to get some photos uploaded sometime this weekend! Good news is that we have found our engine. We wanted to fun a vintage flathead but we have been struggling to find something in our area that was worth dumping money into. UNfortunately we have to work on a budget and we knew if we found something somewhat worthy of a re-build that we would have to spend a bunch to get it to run and then spend a bunch to hop it up. We came across a nice deal on a 401 nailhead and discovered it will fit in the '36 but will need some help with the steering vs. starter. the nailhead was running and has lowmileage and we couldnt really turn away the engine. we're going to have an engine that runs and drives, has power, and we can find some vintage add-ons for decent money without blowing the check book. It all works out.

On another note; we are looking for a radiator for the '36. Know of one? PM me!

8. skoh73

skoh73

Nailheads are awesome! Great score!

9. I'm a new 36 5 window owner also . Got it about 2 months ago. Luckly for me, my car is 100% rust free and basically was garaged I believe its whole life. It has been off the road since the late 50s and was being put together slowly. The guy finally gave up on it in 2003 at age 85ish. He sold it to a friend that installed a Mustang II front end, a 351 Windsor and an AOD overdrive. Booo sort of, as the original flat head and trans were rebuilt in 1964 and were still sitting in the corner 85 year olds garage when my friend bought it. He ended up selling the front end, rear end engine and Trans for $1500 in 2003. Ugh!!!! Anyway, I can take some interior pictures as the interior is gutted but the dash is all 1936 and perfect with all the factory gauges.
    Congrats on the new project.

10. Great project. I use to have a '36 5 window coupe and regret selling it.

11. chitle

chitle
    from ventura CA

I have a 36 I just got a few months ago . I purchased the floors from sheet metal direct in so cal. Nice stuff thats all figured out makes it easy.

12. TagMan

TagMan
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I just started a '36 3-window project and was thinking of looking for a 401/425 to install - I miss the one I had in my '55 Special. If you change your mind about usiing yours, let me know.

In any event, best of luck on the build and we'll be watching for progress reports!
    -Bob

13. farmergal

farmergal
    from somewhere

Nice! We went to check out a runner flatty with tranny in a barn at the dairy farm i work at. unfortunately the farmer has it wrapped in burlap and he has "plans for it one day." Maybe now that he knows we're interested; he'll keep us posted on its sale status :)

We're excited about the nailhead. were hoping for a flathead but i think this will do just fine.

14. farmergal

farmergal
    from somewhere

Update: we are busy reconstructing rotted metal! We're trying to get all of the lower parto ft he car reconstructed right now so that when we put the floors in; we have something to connect to. Our biggest challenge right now is reconstructing the bottom of the door posts. We don;t have any fance tools to work with metal so we're bending and shaping everything by hand and then welding it in. It's quite time consuming and sometimes frustrating but we're getting somewhere.

One of our other tasks is trying to get the doors to line up and we're having a hard time with that. grrrrr. We can't put in patch panels if the body lines don't match up with the doors. It looks like someone had butched together the body lines where the door and cowl area is on the passenger side and its a little snug. We might have to cut all the bracing, put the doors on it and get everything situated properly and then ratched strap everything in place and put the bracing back in to ensure everything fits properly.

15. Do yourself a favor before you cut anything. See if you can find someone in the area with a 35 or 36 you can grab some measurements off of. You can get in a mess real fast if that cab spreads apart.

16. farmergal

farmergal
    from somewhere

we've already got a 36 5 window to work off of and its right up the street. :) the cab itslef is currently bolted to the frame the way its supposed to be its just the crap body work done before us that is making it one hell of a project. how about layers of chicken wire and bondo? good stuff right there ;)

17. powhatan42

powhatan42

I hear you farmergal some of these people need to step off the body work and take up another hobby. I found the same bondo and fiberglass where they should be using lead! In the end we know that it wil be built right, keep up the good work.

18. Django

Django
    from Chicago

Not another '36 Ford... :rolleyes:

:D

19. farmer12

farmer12

I've learned that patience is the key. Frustrations will occur.......at times it is difficult to say, let's fabricate that part again, but very often it is the best solution. Trust me, I've been there. Patience will be rewarded in the long run.

20. farmergal

farmergal
    from somewhere

:D:eek::D

I might be consulting you for tips in the near future...i know you know these cars well. The car is going to be done right...we just hope it all goes right. keep in mind this is the first time we've ever attempted anything like this so itmight be a year...or two before its anywhere close to done. we might just get it solid; put it in primer and drive it and worry about affording paint down the road. its instances like this when we wish we could win the lottery :). all thelittle thingsmightnot ever me exactly to spec but someday...itll be onthe road. we're already fightingover who gets to drive what. im laying claim tothe 36 and sticking to it:cool:

21. lazyv8

lazyv8

check out dirtydan's 5 window..best one yet!

22. farmergal

farmergal
    from somewhere

Thank you! Im off to search for it. we've been searching the hamb and printing off everything for reference that we can find. the more pictures, the more descriptions, etc....and all the more better. We've been following FOMOCOkid's build and his photos really have pointed us int he right direction with how things are supposed to look (since so much is missing on the bottom of our car). Right now we need information on the "sub rails" that would be to the rear of door openings. They are nonexistant on our project and we have no clue what theyre supposed to look like/measure like, if their is even supposed to be something there, or what the deal is. help?

23. Check out my link below maybe it will help you. Just a thought.

24. farmergal

farmergal
    from somewhere

Thank you!! anything and everything could help us at this point!

25. JeffreyJames

JeffreyJames
    from SUGAR CITY

Yup I got to see it last weekend. Very tasteful and super nice!!!

26. farmergal

farmergal
    from somewhere

I have seen his thread abotu his beautiful coupe. that think is definately an inspiration for sure! the only issue with his coupe thread helping us out is that he started with an already finished car and made a hot rod out of it but maybe he can help us with measurements!! dangh that thing is gorgeous...

27. farmergal

farmergal
    from somewhere

Well we fund 2 rivieras for the price of one at scrap price so we took them home and got the 425 nailhead running. we've decided to go with the 425 instead of the 401 so we're selling the 401. We also have a friveline with the 425 which makes it that much better for us. Anyways, I Finally have some photos to post. We haven't done much work other than cut out whats left of the floors and tack weld in some patch panels so we can see where we're supposed to be going with this. more photos to come as we get time to work on it. winter is on its way and we anticipate having this thing motoring around, unfinished, next year.

039.JPG

004.JPG

005.JPG

006.JPG

008.JPG

009.JPG

010.JPG

011.JPG

012.JPG

014.JPG

015.JPG

016.JPG

017.JPG

28. farmergal

farmergal
    from somewhere

29. PG

PG

Wow, you definitely have a better start than I do. Thanks for the pictures for reference of stuff that is falling apart on mine.

30. farmergal

farmergal
    from somewhere

yea but we definately dont have a great start. we wish we were starting with just a bare metal, un -touched project. unfortunately its someones body work, or lack-of, that is going to cause us the most grief. If you need any additional photos just let me know what you need pictures of and i will try and get some for you.