Register now to get rid of these ads!

Project help one-on-one instruction

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by rschilp, Aug 6, 2011.

1. rschilp

rschilp

Giving back to the HAMB community.

Just saw this post http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=614350

About a Hamb member loosing the drive to work on his own project because he doesn't have the skills/ability to do some of the work and needed some instruction.

So here I am, offering the use of my extensive shop and one on one instruction, or maybe we do it in your garage.
    Not saying I'm the best at anything, but I do have a fully equipped fabrication shop and know my way around all the tools and have build several projects over the years and helped hundreds of people complete theirs.

Let's leave this open for a few days and see if I get any LOCAL takers to get some help, let's say one Saturday morning or weekday evening?

Any takers?

2. What a great offer.....Problem is your taking away all my excuses.

3. rschilp

rschilp

Don't have to take them all, which one is in your way?

4. o WOW what a great offer.I would take you on that if I lived closer.
    I wish there was locals that would do that.
    I walked into a shop once,asked them if I could clean the shop or do all the dirty work if they taught me something but the guy just kicked me out.
    F. HIM.
    I wasnt looking for a job just to learn something.
    I hope you find someone that will actually appreciate your offer and not waste your precious time.

5. rjason

rjason

That is VERY generous! Free time is something I don't often have... it's really cool to see someone offering up there's to help others.

I would be interested in coming by to meet you and check out your shop sometime, if that's cool. It's always nice to meet a fellow HAMB'er and see what they drive/are working on. I have family in Wylie and me and mine live right down the road in Rockwall.

Jason

6. Man, that is just a darned cool offer. I've been at this a lot of years and I'm still learning as I go.

7. rschilp

rschilp

Come on by, in the shop right now working on the '32 blown V12.

Call me if you do, number is on website.

8. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

Not making any excuses for the shop owner that refused your offer, but as a former garage owner, I was flooded with 'prospects' that wanted to hang around and 'learn something'.
    Most were 'recruits' by a former friend to his "Fifties Nite", newbies that wanted to jump in, then 'get a car', then 'be somebody'.
    I had some that were O.K., really wanted to learn, but most just wanted to "be someplace", wear the shirt, and say something.

Maybe drop by the guy's shop again, talk to him a little. If you're the 'right guy', he might bring you in.
    But I'd bet he has been flooded with similar requests by less interested individuals who just want a free hot rod.
    There are 'agendas' out there.

9. Gimpapotamus

Gimpapotamus

This is exactly what I need to learn some new things and make progress! PM on the way! I love the HAMB!

10. I put an ad here and on another site asking for someone that would come to my house and help w/my 56 project.I offered gas money,food,drink and even an overnite stay if wanted.
    I live about a mile from Daytona Beach so they could spend time there if they wanted to..I was accused(on the other site) of begging for free labor. I'm an Old Fart & I remember when helping someone meant a lot to the receiver & the giver.
    A coupla of years ago a man from the HAMB drove about 200 miles one way to help w/a brake problem that I had. He spent the day here and wouldn't even accept gas money..I'll never forget that man...This is a great thing that you are offering.

11. Gimpapotamus

Gimpapotamus

Oldfart, you nailed it. There isnt enough compassion for other human beings any more. Im a young buck, at 28, but was fortunate enough to be raised by my grandparents and learn some values and respect. Its nice to hear a good story like that.

12. rusty addiction

rusty addiction

Man, I can't seem to get my so called friends to give me a hand(even though I've fixed their cars, moved their s**t from one place to another,
    moved sheds, ect, ect, and so on.) and your offering to help strangers.
    Your a cut above the rest, and we could use more like ya.:D:D:D:D

13. I guess your right I didnt see it like he did.
    I did offer him to call my employer and ask about me and I offered him to give him my adress but he still said no.
    I finally hit a body shop and they started teaching me right away.Too bad I had to move away.

14. Hackerbilt

Hackerbilt

I hear you on that Pete! A lot of users out there for sure!!!!

fitzee has taken a few under his wing and tought them how to build/weld/whatever. Pretty cool.
    Rustydebris is working on his frame right now at fitzees!
    Fitz can usually see thru the users and has good luck with the guys he helps out...rustydebris being a good example.
    He has what it takes and the drive to see it thru.

rschilp...nice offer. I hope someone worthy takes you up on it and you BOTH benefit!!! :D

15. Forddraggin

Forddraggin

I have offered to give money to a few friends just to come over and give me a hand and them come over and eat and drink for free and end up not helping a bit.My wife helps me more than anyone has.I do have a friend that builds hotrods for a living about ahour away and he helps alot when he can but he is busy alot.

16. Hackerbilt

Hackerbilt

You DO realize how lucky you are, right? ;)

17. rjason

rjason

I'd come by right now, but I'm on duty today (remember what I said about free time). Who wouldn't want to see ANYTHING with a blown V12!!

No doubt I could learn a lot from you! I just need to quit one of my jobs first :rolleyes:

Jason

18. 117harv

117harv

I have people ask me to help teach them to tig weld or fab up some stuff but they never seem to have or make time to come by:cool:.

Not to hijack the OP's thread but i will help out any HAMBer, just let me know, stop by the shops always open:)

Last edited: Mar 16, 2015
  19. 19Fordy

19Fordy

I think you have quaranteed yourself a spot in "Hot Rod Heaven" for making such a kind and generous offer. The world needs more folks like you. Thanks.

20. stronga

stronga

What a great thing to do! I live in The Colony, Tx. I would love to make a road trip to see your shop.

21. Gimpapotamus

Gimpapotamus

117harv is another prime example of people on here willing to help. I had some questions about some work he had done and took time out of his day to talk to me on the phone and help. Way cool!

22. rschilp

rschilp

Just call and come by, almost always available to do a nickel tour.

23. rustydibris

rustydibris

24. Hackerbilt

Hackerbilt

Absolutely! Like me and fitz with the trailer...:D

25. rusty addiction

rusty addiction

OK NOW......., you two sound like your looking for a group hug or
    something.:eek::eek:
    Get out in the grage and weld somthing, hit something with a hammer,
    or just drink a few. Time to man up!!!:D:cool::cool::p

26. Forddraggin

Forddraggin

Yea i know how lucky i am and she loves cars just as much as i do

27. Big Jon

Big Jon

way to go rob, mate i would jump at the chance , if i wasn't on the otherside of the planet.

28. rschilp

rschilp

Just send you a PM, let me know when you want to come play

Same offer for you, let me know when you want the tour, or maybe just shoot the shit, I'll be in the shop most of the day on Friday and Saturday this week (on vacation and on the beach for a few days until then)

29. I think you just earned yourself a much larger garage in Hot rod heaven..... You, sir are my new hero

30. andexxx

andexxx

I wish there more guys to teach the new guys some of the tricks and share....if I lived within 200 miles, I would take you up on your offer. You are what Hot Rodding is all about.