Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects another damn project...61 uni body ford

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by ryno, Jul 29, 2011.

1. ryno

ryno

where are you measuring from? can you post up a pic?
    if i remember ill shoot some better ones of my set up.

2. ryno

ryno

daily update.....
    finally finished up the bag mounts front and rear.
    sourced out some more cragars, trying to get a good fit.

ran into a little hick up when i went to install the rack on the frame today, the rack is about 1/4" shy of clearing the cobra oil pan! damn it. so i pulled the motor and tranny out and decide it was a good time to give them a bath, so they're clean and ready for the final assembly hope fully next weekend! im going to install a stock oil pan, one that doesn't have the extra bulges and capacity on the side.

pulled it off teh lift and rolled it outside to get a look. im pretty pleased. i need to figure out a better fitting tire and wheel for the back. i have a set of 14x8 cragar, just need to mount a few different size tires on them and see what i like. i originally wanted to run a set of 10 wide fenton's i have with a 265 tire, but bfg stopped making them 2 years ago, double damn it!

some pics from today..
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

pretty damn funny how serious some people get with this brand loyalty
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

3. DuckusCrapus

DuckusCrapus

Lookin' good Fagmo! That thing is already freaking cool. Great job!

DC

4. caseyscustoms

caseyscustoms
    BANNED
    from st.joe, MO

not low enough. hehe

5. So cool. and so quick.

6. slddnmatt

slddnmatt

ya you need to knock this progress crap off....i just walk out in the garage and stare at my junk and get overwhelmed..the truck is looking damn good..... i really need to build my 65...:(

7. Green with envy. I love Unibodys - thanks for sharin'

8. mcnally351

mcnally351
    from boston

Sick stance, these trucks look right in the weeds. Pretty ballsy using the cobra drivetrain too

9. 69supercj

69supercj

I'm measuring from the top of the spring hat to the centerline of the lower control arm mounting bolt. Here's a pic.

[​IMG]

10. Kustom Komet

Kustom Komet

Is this in real time? The speed is making me dizzy. Doubtless you know this, but if you swap to a Fox body rear sump oil pan, you can nestle the drivetrain deeper in the chassis.

-KK

11. tommyd

tommyd
    from South Indy

Dude! Is that a nickle laying on top of the dash? You already made some money on this one!

12. ryno

ryno

thanks queer.

i have that same feeling every morning when i open up the doors, but tell myself, no one else is going to do all this for me!
    that's what i had, so its getting used.

that how mine measures out at 10 1/8". i guess ill have to see how it handles!
    thought about doing that, but i really cant go any lower with the drive train with the truck being so low, i want to keep all the pans above the front x member and frame rails.

man, you must have a good eye, cause i don't see any nickles.

13. ryno

ryno

daily update....

got the whole dash and firewall gutted, pulled all the wires, switches, etc out of the cab, and got the fire wall all shaved/welded up.

got a few different tires mounted up and fit to the rear 8" wide cragars also.
    i need to find some cragar s/s center caps.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

14. chaddilac

chaddilac

Dang Ryno!! Looks freakin' awesome!!!!

15. ryno

ryno

aug 7th

i got the steering column all torn apart, cleaned up and da'd down for the paint work.
    moved it up closer to the dash, and centered it in the dash instead of the offset, why did ford do this anyways? shaved up the stock column shifter boss also.

reworked the stock brake pedal mount also. took out the clutch pedal, had to shorten the pivots up and added a new end. im going to move teh actual pad over also once i get a booster hook up to it. i don't like the factory location of the pedal.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

16. Malcolm

Malcolm
    from Nebraska

Moving right along -- looking good, man!

Great idea on repositioning the steering column. The one in my old F100 seemed way too low/close to the driver.

17. ryno

ryno

thanks nick!
    see ya soon

18. James66g

James66g

WOW great thread! You are really motivating me to get back on my 66 crew cab project! I am really wanting to lay mine out to and was thinking the mustang 2 was the way to go but theer are so many manufactureres out there! I have heard a lot of conflicting info on quality and strength. what are your thoughts on that?

I was talking with an air suspension guy and he related to me that the mustang two set up is mostly meant for cars and cant hold up to truck use and I should go with modifying one odf the exhisting chevy kits?

Any way really interested in your insight and looking forward to your progress saw this link on the Los boulevardos site! Glad I followed it over subscribed!

19. ryno

ryno

i don't know, theres allot of debate on the mm2. im not totally sold on it them yet either! but each new kit is made for your certain vehicle so the argument that they wouldn't hold the weigh is pretty dumb i think. i know there's been alot of debate also about the geometry on the mm2's. elpolacko is the man to talk to on these, or any suspension set up for that matter. i just didn't have the time to invest in going to a junk yard and source out a crown vic or a Dakota, so the mm2 made sense for me.

20. ryno

ryno

up date....
    got a bearing and sleeve retainer made up today for the end of the column.once i get the column in place ill set screw in my retainer, it is a press fit now, but id rather know for sure for sure it wouldn't work it self out over time.

got the booster mounted up where i think it will work on the fire with no bracket, nice and tight like it should be!

blasted the old cragars, and started to paint them up, cast blast!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

21. chaddilac

chaddilac

22. 69supercj

69supercj

I like the wheels. I had an old set of Rockets like those that I threw away...I think. I'll have to dig though the scrap pile to make sure!! What are you using for a MC?

23. James66g

James66g

Thanks man for the comments I am really looking forward to yours being on the road and how this set up works for you. I saw a thread on the crown vic conversion and decided against it it really pushed the weels out in the fenders and looked like it would be hard or impossible to get a reversed style wheel on. I am diggen your wheel choice any ideas for paint ?

24. ryno

ryno

They where just a cheap set I got from a buddy. 100 bucks later at the blaster they look decent. I ordered a set of tri bar spinner center caps to day. I'm leaving them chrome for some contrast with the chrome lugs.

The mc is just a 1" bore corvette style generic style with a single 7 booster. I'm going to run a wilwood prop valve with the rear adjustment knob and a built in brake light switch down on the frame.

I'm planning on having the interior ,firewall and body a heavy metallic silver and the frame and suspension comps in gloss blk..
    I'd likevto gave the firewall,interior and jams done for the hamb drags with the body in primer,I better get my ass in high gear!

25. I figured you would be done by now......that last birthday musta caught up with ya, old man :p :D See ya in a couple weeks, brotha:cool:

26. bulletproof1

bulletproof1
    from tulsa okla

your gonna hate spending a week in my car...its loud,rattles,no radio,no carpet and its not very PC ....

Last edited: Aug 8, 2011
  27. Reggie

Reggie
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Boy, that looks familiar!

Attached Files:

28. ryno

ryno

i know, it's the heat!
    can't wait it! hows it coming along?
    yes sir!

29. bulletproof1

bulletproof1
    from tulsa okla

car is close,,, the fuel tank is going to be here this weekend..been driving it around...been running mid 12s but have yet to make a pass with full power and traction.still have to rig up a trailer hitch... found a guy that will let me borrow a trailer,,,

30. ryno

ryno

Awesome!
    Can't wait. For those don't know we are taking bulletproof's ford gasser to do hot rod magazines drag week! The trailer he speaks of will be in tow for 1600 miles for a week long adventure though the Midwest drag strips!