Register now to get rid of these ads!

barn find "little monster" (new york guy's help) Pic's update

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by JustplainJ, Jun 13, 2009.

1. i don't really like that car,but i think i should be restored,specially because it has alot of history on it,it,s like a hot rod treasure...

2. Alright, I had completely missed this thread when it first popped up and only saw it when it was last bumped. From the very first post I knew I had seen this car in one of our magazines. So after thinking I'd never find it again, I pick up a mag today to casually flip through and BAM! So for those who care, and since I don't want to go through the entire post to se if anyone else has posted it :eek:, I give you the SPEED AND CUSTOM December 1961 article of the "Little Monster".

Attached Files:

3. 10secondA

10secondA

just spent a while checking this thread out, that is an awesome piece of history, its a damn good thing it moved to the desert and sat there for 48 years or no one would be enjoying the history of this car.

4. Nice research White Brothers.

This is an amazing find. Please keep us posted on where it ends up. And please post some video of it tearing up the road when you do so.

Thanks JustplainJ!

5. Evel

Evel
    1. 60s Show Rods

Thats Crazy that the paint was like that the whole time..

6. And again from the July 1962 issue of SPEED AND CUSTOM.

Attached Files:

7. JustplainJ

JustplainJ
    from so.cal.

that is so cool!!! thanks for posting....

8. JustplainJ

JustplainJ
    from so.cal.

just wanted to give a big thanks to white bros. for sending the mag. that he posted on here with the little monster in it... it was very cool of him!

catdad49 likes this.
  9. pwschuh

pwschuh
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Article says it was featured on TV? Be neat to find out what show and track down the footage. Certainly adds to the heritage.

10. JustplainJ

JustplainJ
    from so.cal.

if you would have read the first post.... it was on the Steve Allen and Ed Sullivan show.

Last edited: Apr 6, 2011
  11. Triggerman

Triggerman
    from NorCal

Congrats on the cover story from Hot Rod Deluxe.

12. coupedaughter

coupedaughter
    from Arizona

Hi All! I'm the daughter of the original owner of the Little Monster Coupe. Just a quick posting to advertise that I have the original wheels and tires for sale for the car that was previously my father's. There are the 3 original wheels and tires (pair and a spare) with the spoke design and hubcaps and what I believe are the original tires (Generals with lots of tread) but no guarantee. I have no use for these so if you are interested in purchasing them, please make me an offer and send it to [email protected]. I can forward pictures if requested. Thanks!

13. Blades

Blades
    from Chicago

I like this story

14. Hellbomb

Hellbomb
    from DC

In the movie version, the car gets discovered and driven again. It doesn't want to be a show car yet.

It started up! It's a machine, so it should, but it doesn't always. It's got a story and a history. You could just sell large photo prints of the car. Look at those pics of it. It's larger than life. You could make a car to look like that, but this one LOOKS LIKE THAT.

You can always sell it later. Tell the story first and get people going.

15. Ratrod37

Ratrod37

Wow I just found this thread.I grew up in Freeport and I know some of the Original Rod Snappers,they were friends with my father.I will see if I can find out anything about the car or the original owner.

catdad49 likes this.
  16. What's your point? I don't understand what you're getting at. Are you reffering to the Little Monster? Or are you comparing it to another car that was found?

17. There's a few of the Rod Snappers still around,and have contacted Jim. One of them even sent him some more pic's of the car.

18. Ratrod37

Ratrod37

I personally know at least three of them that are still around.

19. aircoup

aircoup

what a great find '' have fun with that one ''

20. OoltewahSpeedShop

OoltewahSpeedShop

So.... Whats the latest on the Monster? Do you still have it J?

21. JustplainJ

JustplainJ
    from so.cal.

still have it....but will be for sale soon.

22. 1941coupe

1941coupe

if you look at westhampton drags results you will see j.merkel won D/G jack is still around building race engines pro. i beleve jack was running an olds powered 33 willys backed buy a hydro from vinny tarentola alas vitar...the old westhmpton drag strip is long gone but the memory's are alive and well

23. Gman0046

Gman0046

1941coupe, back in the early days at Westhampton, Jack Merkel tore up D/G with a small block powered coral and gray 55 Chevy. Probably a 301. Ask me how I know. An Olds powered 33 Willys would not be in the D/G class. He may have driven that after the 55 Chevy but I don't remember it.

Last edited: Jun 11, 2011
  24. aircoup

aircoup

yes another model ,a find,,,, perfect ''''

25. nitrider65

nitrider65

just a little fyi its on e-bay for sale

26. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

Link?

27. hotrod_32

hotrod_32

28. Ray C's son

Ray C's son

29. mrconcdid

mrconcdid
    from Florida

I wish you luck, really a neat car.

30. Maybe Garlits was inquiring to purchase it for his museum........