Register now to get rid of these ads!

Help!!! Plasma cutter not working

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by noxided, Aug 5, 2011.

1. noxided

noxided

Ive got a powertorch p20 same as Lincoln electric p20.

I pull the trigger and I get the air out, but no torch.

It was working off and on and now nothing.

Ive got good ground, good tips and cup.

2. My Century(Snap-on) layed down on me last year---same symptoms. Fixed mine with a new microswitch(trigger switch)...got lucky, found one at Radio Shack for a couple bucks.

3. That could be it....................the switch is usually the first to go. I installed a rather heavy switch ass'y from a router.

4. noxided

noxided

Thanks, guys I'll give it a try. I looked at the switch and it appeared to function properly at the contact points but you never know.

5. Check it with an ohmeter.
    My problem turned out to be a temp sensor, it would run for a few seconds then stop, only air. bypassed the sensor, all is good so far for 1.5 years.

6. Buzznut

Buzznut

Ditto on the switch...they are typically the first to go.

7. Engine man

Engine man
    from Wisconsin

I'm not familiar with the P20 but usually, if the switch turns on the air, it should also start the arc after a short time delay. Once the air is flowing, hitting the trigger should produce an instant arc.

8. impalamark

impalamark

my plasma won't work if the air pressure is to low takes about 60 lbs to get it to arc

9. 50dodge4x4

50dodge4x4

On my old Century, the parts in the head went bad. There was a tapered post the air pulled up and made contact with a very small switch. As the post wore off, the switch couldn't make contact and wouldn't fire. At first I was able to adjust the switch, but then it wore too much to work again. I was able to rotate the post a little, but after about a year, it was dead. The new head was over $400, so I put that money towards a new bigger unit. Best move I ever made. Gene

10. run

run

had a hypertherm start doin that. all the obvious stuff (air pressure, power, connections, switch) seemed fine.

turned the slotted adjustment screw on the internal filter/drier/separator out a few turns then back in a few past the original setting...been workin ever since