Register now to get rid of these ads!

neutral safty switch install?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by bulletproof1, Aug 4, 2011.

1. bulletproof1

bulletproof1
    from tulsa okla

because i got so much grife last year about not having a NSS..im putting one in my car for the hamb drags...b&m ratchet shifter.have the micro switch that came with the shifter..
    i dont think the micro switch would handle running the wire from igniton switch to solenoid..would it pass if it just killed the power to the coil?

2. Von Rigg Fink

Von Rigg Fink
    from Garage

what switch are you using..
    "micro"?

besides the starter doesnt get its cranking juice from that wire..thats just the "signal" (starter)wire if you will

either way, you need one.if not for your safety..for others

Last edited: Aug 4, 2011
  3. squirrel

squirrel

it needs to prevent the starter from operating. I know they look really flaky, but those little tiny switches can indeed handle the current, I've had a few of them in use for 15 years without failure.

4. R Frederick

R Frederick
    from illinois

I just did my Hurst Quarter stick yesterday, and thought the same thing. But the manual say's to run the positive starter wire through the switch, so I did.

5. bulletproof1

bulletproof1
    from tulsa okla

as expected the hamb as come through with the info i needed in lighting speed.... I LOVE THIS PLACE...thank guys ....

6. squirrel

squirrel

If you're really worried about it, you could use a "bosch" relay to switch the current load, and use the microswitch to activate the relay.

7. oj

oj

That wire just pulls in the starter solenoid, typically 50 or 60 milliamps - less than 1 amp goes thru that switch.

8. squirrel

squirrel

is that the pulling current, or the holding current? Sure makes a healthy spark when you jump it with a screwdriver. There are two windings in there, you know.

9. dbradley

dbradley

I use a relay with my TKO600. It has an internal switch that I assumed provided a signal to an ECM so I just put a relay in the circuit (BBC starter) Works great.