Register now to get rid of these ads!

Mapp/Oxy torch, Ever use one ?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Bob 1743, Aug 5, 2011.

1. Bob 1743

Bob 1743

Anyone ever use one of the small Mapp/Oxy turches that are sold in Home Depot etc. I'm looking to heat a 4 inch section of chassis to cherry red. I know the gas canister doesn't last very long, but will it do the job?

2. Groovybaby6

Groovybaby6
    from Denver

Try 2 at the same time, you can just about get the metal cherry red.

3. Thumper

Thumper

you might get better results with a Bic lighter and a can of carb cleaner..:eek:

4. I have one, it will get small areas (2" dia) dull red. Great for heating small stuff.

5. captainjunk#2

captainjunk#2

do not waste your money , when i was a teenager - long ago - i bought one , you get it lit get the flame adjusted and your out of oxygen , waste of money

6. My suggestion would be to look in the phonebook, and call a local welder to come out and help you. For what he might charge, you can eat that up real fast in those little bottles and gas expense running back and forth to Home Depot. Remember, you have to buy many more than you need, because you dont really know how much you'll need. If you get half heated and run out, you have to start all over again. Maybe someone here will see this and help you out, dont under estimate the power of the HAMB. TR

7. fleetside66

fleetside66

I've found that they last quite long & are very user friendly. I got the control gizmo where you just have to press a button to start it & adjust the flame with the little dial...no more fooling around with those little friction sparkers. It also has the little lock thing to keep the flame going without holding down the button. They're great.

8. If your chassis has any thickness to it, I doubt you would be able to get that much cherry red. If that was all I was looking to do, I'd look for a local welder or some else with torches to help me out.

9. 48 Chubby

48 Chubby
    Member Emeritus

For about the same money you can buy a used Craig's List torch set and rent two full cylenders from a welding supply place. Then you'll have a useful tool that will forever be worth what you paid for it.

10. TurboShadow

TurboShadow
    from Prosser wa

I would save up the cash and get a real torch setup. You will not regret it. Ive used mapp gas torches before and they dont hold a candle to the power a real torch set has. I honestly dont know how anyone could work on a old rusty car without a good torch. You will soon find out how valuable they can be to get rusted nuts and bolts loose. With some practice they can become a very accurate cutting tool also.

11. Francisco Plumbero

Francisco Plumbero
    from il.

No.
    With a small MAPP cylinder you have a tough time soldering a 2" copper joint and you only need to get that to 450 to 475.

You would need a propane bottle BBQ sized and a good sized turbo torch head to heat a section of frame to cherry red.

I am sort of wondering if heating this frame is going to affect the strength of the steel and cause it to stress crack later on down the road. I for sure would let it air cool and not spray and water on it.