Register now to get rid of these ads!

Event Coverage 24th ANNUAL GUNNISON CAR SHOW, GUNNISON COLORADO

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Fivewindow Johnnie, Jun 19, 2011.

1. BigFinCad

BigFinCad

Should be kool with two green Caddies in Johnnie's yard

Big Rich

2. lugnut48

lugnut48
    from Colorado

AAHHHHHH, Wish I could be there but between the altitude and lack of funds not going to be able to be there...Sorry i will really miss seeing u and Laura...:(:(:(

3. 1931av8

1931av8

One of which finds itself the logo for the event. Who did you pay? :D

4. mad-cad

mad-cad

Can't wait, lookin forward to the whole weekend,just gotta get Speedweek out of the way first.

-Tim

5. Mercchev

Mercchev

Might be two black and flamed cars there, if I can get the kid to drive one of them with me.

6. Tom,

Maybe you should be asking, who did he have to blow ????????

JW.

7. duckscrapper

duckscrapper
    from Colorado

Will be there, have only missed a couple since you guys started.

8. Glad you're gonna make it, what ride ya bringing this year ? Personally, am partial to that A Roadster, but it might a bit of a "fresh air" ride for Gunnison. Welcome to the HAMB by the way.

Johnnie.

9. Here ya go Pistoleros ! Just received this from our main charitable organization:

Gunnison Sportsmen’s Association

Steel Challenge Shoot

8 Stages of fun for the whole family!

Sunday August, 21st @ 10am

New shooter safety brief @9:30am

GSA IPSC Range

Keep cost down bring your *Rimfire pistol or rifle!

Separate Divisions for *Centerfire pistol, Revolver & Pistol carbine

No Magnums, No Centerfire Rifles

GSA members $10, non-members $15

Ladies, Youth (10-18) & 2nd gun $5

For more info visit www.steelchallenge.com

Or

Call Clint @ 970-641-4229 (eves)

10. BigFinCad

BigFinCad

Got the Caddy just about ready to go again and really looking forward to going to Gunnison. Geat show, great times and great friends. Doesnt get much better.

Big Rich

11. Less than a week to go ! Registration is looking great, going to be an amazing turn-out at this pace. The Lustre Kings and DJ "Rusty the Ragtop Rocker" are right on schedule, Friday night and Saturday are going to be Rockin' good times.

The Lonely Knights gathering Saturday evening is going to be over the top, just shy of 160 RSVP's "yes" at this point. Gonna have to tell the caterer to bring more food !

See you in Gunnison soon.

Johnnnie.

12. Hiya, Johnnie! Can't wait!! Just reconfirmed my hotel reservations today. I'll hook up with ya' on Friday afternoon. I should be around there by 3 p.m. Are you going to need any last second help with anything? Sounds like the show is going to be great (as usual) and the party is going to be a real GAS!!

13. choptvan

choptvan

see you guys soon.

14. axle

axle
    from Drag City

15. axle

axle
    from Drag City

Now THAT sounds like fun. I had a blast last year !

16. Chris,

Thanks for the offer, if anything comes up, will let you know, but we're doin' good. Feel way behind, but am actually right on track for everything, show, party, hangover....EVERYTHING !

I've got Pinata schmegma all over my hands (and Keyboard now), but that baby is all buttoned up, and full of goodies ! Throw on a little paint tomorrow, plug in the cannon fuse and were good to go.

See everybody in a few days !

Johnnie.

17. I'm leaving in the morning! I hope I finally have the temp and vapor locking issues taken care of on the Caddy. Can't wait to see all of my fellow Knights!

18. Just got home from the Cruise-In, it was great. Lots of amazing cars on Main St., the Lustre Kings put on a fabulous show. Can't wait for tomorrow night !

Johnnie.

19. 1931av8

1931av8

Great time in Gunnison...as always!

The weather was perfect. Not so hot as in the flatlands and the unseasonal late "monsoon" moisture stayed to either side of the town.

Friday night starts the event with a cruise to Main St. Multiple city blocks are cordoned off to allow in-street parking. Best part of the event: Lustre Kings played center stage on the street after coming all the way from New York. Great act if you haven't heard them. Unfortunately, left my camera in our hotel room... Doh!

Saturday morning opens the car show in the park. It is a diverse show with a wide range of entrants.

[​IMG]

Pretty typical. Amazing restoration of a 1920's REO truck, then a 70's style T-Bucket, then a muscle car. Lot's of OT cars, but occasionally:

[​IMG]

This late '31 Model A 5 window is a local Gunnison car and was just completed. Incredible attention to detail.

This was also entered by the same owner:
    [​IMG]
    Either would get my vote...

Each year the Lonely Knights (Colorado Springs) presents the King Pin award at three events: Viva Las Vegas, Gunnison, and the Starliner. The award is given to a participant with the best traditional Kustom or Rod in the show. This year's selection was really difficult. One newly finished rod and one very old Kustom were contenders. The vote was very close...

[​IMG]

Big Rich (bigfincad) making the announcement. Curt (40Panel348) holding the award. Note Special Officer Truitt (notamerc) behind Rich providing security. He is charged with promotion of vice and prevention of virtue at all Lonely Knights endorsed events...

And the award goes to:
    [​IMG]

...this surprised couple that were just leaving the show. We had to literally run them down to give them their award.

The car was built/Kustomized by the owner in the 1950's. The base vehicle is a 1937 LaSalle Coupe. Modifications included shaving extraneous trim, 1950 Pontiac tail lights, frenched and molded headlamps. The engine is an early Cadillac overhead in front of the bulletproof LaSalle gearbox. The owner has put over 300k miles on the car since the 1950's and attends as many shows as he can.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last photo of Curt checking the interior...

Saturday night is when the fun really starts. Johnnie (fivewindowjohnnie) and Laura Walker host a private party at their house. Being a member of the HAMB pretty much guarantees an invite. The Lustre Kings played the event in Johnnie's garage. Laura orchestrates the food and libations flow freely. Johnnie's "panty dropper" concoction about floored my gal after one cup...

Without a doubt, the invitees look forward to the adult themed piñata the most. This year, Johnnie was obviously influenced by the Jihadist literature he has been reading:

[​IMG]

Johnnie selects some deserving participants to take a swing at it. A lot of pent-up aggression is released:

[​IMG]

Contents? Fortunately not propane and TNT! Mostly items are the type found in truck stop restroom vending machines. And this year, Officer Truitt deputized members with lots of Special Police badges that came flying out on the last, deadly swing. Now more of us can promote vice and prevent virtue.

All in all a great time! Thanks to Johnnie and Laura for a great time and the Town of Gunnison for hosting this event. See ya next year!

Last edited: Aug 22, 2011
  20. 1931av8

1931av8

Video of the Pinata busting action...

Johnnie has to step in periodically to switch swingers. He takes his life in his hands each time!

Last edited: Aug 22, 2011
  21. Yep, had a couple of near misses on my head, but well worth the risk involved.

What a night ! The band was a good as it gets, seemed like everybody was having a great time, the panty droppers & bush whackers were having the desired effect.

Lets do it again...................

22. 1931av8

1931av8

Yes they did! You about wrecked that gal on the far right next to Laura in the video...

23. U.K.ROADSTER

U.K.ROADSTER
    from Birmingham

What Tossa gave this car show thread low ratings? Doesn't it help to let folks on this board know where all events are being held? Cheers, Rog

24. 3Deuce40

3Deuce40
    from Colorado

I have been to a few of these and this one was the best. Band was truly awesome! Great cars and great people. Cant wait for next year!

25. Rog,

Couldn't agree more, not as if I was doing a tech thread, advocating putting bondo directly on rust. It was notice of an event, and a damn good one at that.

Thanks for the support.

Johnnie.

26. Great people, great cars, great show, great party! Many thanks to Johnnie and Laura! The Lustre Kings just flat out rocked!! Can't wait until next year!

27. 1931av8

1931av8

I had to go to the Urban Dictionary to figure out what a "Tossa" is:
    tossa
    A poorly pronounced or spelled version of tosser. Synonymous with wanker. An Australian term for a guy that masturbates a lot, rather, A bloke that masturbates a lot.
    Non-Australian: G'Day Mate!
    Australian: Shut the fuck up Tossa.

Y'all can fix the rating by voting...you know...completely fixable. This is not the "Deth Wobbel" thread afterall.

28. mad-cad

mad-cad

We all had a blast down in Gunnison,fridays cruise in ,the show,the party at Johnnie and laura's was a hoot,drank too many dark and stormies,had to abandon the 59 apache at Johnnies till the morning,picked it up after we'd been to the shooting range,damn them clay pigeons are fast little suckers!!
    Thanks again
    Tim

29. Yeah, a big thank you to all HAMB'ers who came to the show. What a great day in the park. Gunnison is hard to beat in the summer. Tom Meyers Carb Tech seminar was excellent. The Friday cruise-in was outstanding.

As far as the party goes, many who have been to all of them, said it was the best one to date. Would like to take credit for that, but I think it goes to the Lustre Kings, who lit the place up, and my buddy Geordie (the bartender), who lit the crowd up.

Tim, you were getting pretty good at hitting the clays on the skeet range towards the end of the round. A couple more and you be on the mark !

Johnnie.

30. notamerc

notamerc
    from colorado

Well....it's over and 4 days beyond the GCS and the absolute best Saturday night gig ever. Laura and Johnnie put on the show and made everyone welcome. Lustre Kings rocked and the Italian food from Mario's was outstanding. Weather was perfect and got to hang with my fellow Lonely Knights.....what better a weekend. Thank you Laura and Johnnie!!..and thank you Tom for the great photos posted. 360 days till next time....I'm counting um. :D
    notamerc aka officer Truitt

Attached Files: