Register now to get rid of these ads!

Art & Inspiration Dave Bell Art

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Porter Man, Jan 29, 2010.

1. FRITZ

FRITZ
    BANNED

I am proud to be part of a small yet Honored group of car folks here on the HAMB that have been penned by Dave Bell! I hope that one of these days I get to meet him and tell him what a bad influence he was & is! LOL. Thanks Dave! Your a Hero!
    FRITZ

Attached Files:

2. UPDATE: We were very fortunate and SURPRISED and thankful when Dave's rendition of our Alaskan 40 appeared in the Sep 80 issue preceding the 40 is 40 issue of SR which we got a cover shot and good feature article ink inside and were really honered again when they included the feature article again in the first issue of the "Best of Street Rodder"
    Have talked to Dave a few times back in the day, sent me some great samples of his Tee Shirts. Heard he is going to be at LARS, hope to finally meet him in the flesh and thank him again, personally! (and hopefully get him to sign my copies of the HH he did of the 40.

PS: The Porters I bought from you are installed on the 390 Cad powered Deuce Roadster that we will be driving to LARS. Sound great!!
    Click on second pic for a better view. Dave

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jun 10, 2010
  3. RABs32

RABs32
    from new jersey

Fritz, Welcome to Dave's page of Fame....Rich

4. dustdevil

dustdevil
    from illinois

Great posting!!! I don't know how this is the first time I stumbled upon it but I'm glad I did. Hope to be as great as Dave someday!:)

5. Porter Man

Porter Man
    Alliance Vendor
    from Mound, MN

Hey Dave, that is a great piece Dave Bell did of your car. Not so busy, you can really see your car! I talked to Dave Bell at the beginning of the week, he will be in LA for the Roadster Show. He is so easy to talk with and very approachable! We were so surprised at last years show when he had our product name on the show poster! That is the best car show, wish we were going again this year! Have fun. Glad you like the muffs!
    Clark

6. Porter Man

Porter Man
    Alliance Vendor
    from Mound, MN

Hey Nate, he's a local hot rod celebrity from St. Paul, who is a really nice guy! Known nationwide! He's not very computer savvy, so he isn't on the HAMB.

7. bowtie40

bowtie40

He did an honorary sketch of my pal Dave Matheson's 35 Ford roadster thats a mainstay at Pleasenton each year...

8. Wolfie

Wolfie

Dave Bell is one of my very dearest friends! He's been putting me and my radio station, "XWLF, The Mighty 690" in the cartoons for MANY years now. Altho we've never physically met, he did tell me at one time that he was going to make me the most famous, UNKNOWN Wolf on the planet! I think he made it!!! We love ya Brother Dave!!!

Wolf

9. andrewlw

andrewlw
    from whittier

Does anyone know if Dave ever made a art book for sale? I would love to have a book with his art.

10. John D'Agostino

John D'Agostino

I'm also a BIG fan of Dave Bell. His work is "AWESOME"!!!

11. I also miss those Bell t shirts the new stuff is crap next to his work,wish they were still around,and this one with Sams chevy is very cool that chevy was the coolest fatfendered chevy ever!!! black/chrome/flames=perfection

Last edited: Oct 13, 2010
  12. philly the greek

philly the greek
    from so . cal.

I was fortunate to get a mention in the current edition of Henry Hirise . It made my day when I first saw it !!

13. Candy-Man

Candy-Man

I would love to have some of his art .....

14. GilbysCustoms

GilbysCustoms

I am a huge fan of Dave and was wondering if there was any website or contact info on how to get a hold of him. If anyone could help me out it would be most appreciated. Thanks:)

15. jjrodder

jjrodder

Dave has his phone number in just about all of his Henry Hirise art. It is sometimes hidden very well, so you have to search for it.

16. GilbysCustoms

GilbysCustoms

Ohhh wow thank you I searched for so long but it was right infront me the whole time! Thanks again for the reply:)

17. R&C RON

R&C RON

I have allways felt the ultimate Honor would be to have your car appear in a Dave Bell cartoon! I met Dave at The Grand National show in 2009. I got to sit and talk to him for about an hour and a half , while he drew a picture of my car. A great guy with a a lot of great stories! A few months later I was stoked to see my car in the Street Rodder cartoon. I have been using it as my avatar......Thanks Dave.
    [​IMG]

18. Jeem

Jeem
    Alliance Vendor

It's been said that Dave Bell is SWELL.....

19. philly the greek

philly the greek
    from so . cal.

I would have to agree with this 100% !! Great guy !!

20. Super Gentleman with a memory that just wont quit!!

21. Boones

Boones
    from Kent, Wa
    1. Northwest HAMBers

when I got rid of alot of old car mags, I actually went through and removed all the Dave Bell art.. I have a nice stack stored away. Love his work. I agree, having you car in his work would be a honor...

22. Dragonoake

Dragonoake
    from Rogers, AR

Looking for information on the chopped 57 Chevy (Buick?) that appears at the bottom of the Nate Moddle page in the May 1999 issue of Custom Rodder Magazine

[​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 30, 2011
  23. Yeh, Koolest kartoonist.

24. turbostude

turbostude
    from minnesota

That sewing machine was a Juki belonging to Tom Young, a "gypsy" upholsterer who had a tiny shop adjacent to the bike shop, right across from the park which was next to Porky's. Tom and Dave were friends.Tom was well known among early MSRA guys. He pretty much slept in his 34' 4-door. In the winter, he would find a boiler room somewhere to crash.
    At about that time, I was offered an original which included my 53' Olds hardtop. Dave was partial to these and had offered to pinstripe mine when I got it painted....guess what. Still have the car, and still not painted.
    http://turbostude.com/Elsie

25. neilswheels

neilswheels
    from England

What an inspiration Dave bell was to me when i was younger. i started reading Street Rodder in the late 70's, guess i was about 14, and Daves pictures always got me, I would study them for ages. They amazed me, all those lines that created a shiny black paint job, the subtle use of text in the shading, all the hidden little things, and how he would often draw something in a different way, like he was experimenting with stuff, so cool. As i said, he inspired me to pickup a rotoring pen, which turned into a fair few different size pens, and i drew a few doodles.
    I've added a few here, the first one 'Most toys' was all the projects i had at the time, as you can see i cut my car teeth on v-dubs. The Woody was a dream car, almost got one but now have a 40 Sedan. The next, 'Russ rides' was a birthday present for a friend, and has all his cars at that time, I think they've all now been sold, but a little snap shot of where he was at the time, and the last one, 'Mels', is a 3D attempt I did when i was about 18. The T was moulded in clay, then cast in plaster, bonded to a wood board, then painted like a drawing. I haven't picked up a pen in about 20 years, but still check out Daves work in Street Rodder. Looking up the thread at the Von Dutch and Moon Glow pics, mine dont hold a light to his work, still blown away by all the detail and slight angle changes to the car bodies to emphasise thier shape.Thanks for the inspiration Dave.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 30, 2011
  26. Here is the one he did of my roadster. God Bless Dave Bell.. I also like the one he did of my shoebox and my Mesrc in the previous post.

Attached Files:

• 001.jpg
      001.jpg
      File size:
      513 KB
      Views:
  27. Mr.34

Mr.34

I am very proud that my old pal Dave has featured my cars in Henry Hi-Rise over the years as well as my dog Cooper :>). Dave did my first show poster in about 1967 and my first pin stripe job on my 57 Chev in 1964. Dave's wit is incredible. Always look carefully at his work as his creativity never stops. All of his commissioned work for me is framed and on the man cave walls. Gary

28. JimA

JimA
    BANNED

You can still put the old plates back on your car legally if you have old paper work showing the number on the car. They make PERFECT reproduction plates if yours are gone- or just get a plate made to put on for fun if yours are long gone.

29. littlerocktim

littlerocktim

Dave Bell has advanced brain cancer and is going to hospice

30. SUNROOFCORD

SUNROOFCORD