Register now to get rid of these ads!

1937 Orphan Coupe: If you had to take one...

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Jive-Bomber, Aug 4, 2011.

1. Jive-Bomber

Jive-Bomber

2. NASH! That mo'sheen is awesum!

3. wlspdshop

wlspdshop
    from Missouri

Hudson for me....

4. retromotors

retromotors

That Studebaker sure stands out in the boulevard scene, don't it!

5. Cheeco

Cheeco

I'll take whichever one Mildred wants to get in the back of !!

6. zibo

zibo
    from dago ca

you need to do a "Poll"!
    TP

7. furyfan

furyfan
    from MA

I love the '37 Nash Lafayette coupe and would be happy to have one:). They had style as did other cars from that era.
    John

8. alchemy

alchemy

There's a hotrodded Terreplane in my town, and it's a neat car. I like the rear fender openings. Get's my vote.

9. Caractacus Potts

Caractacus Potts

Studebaker - love em.

10. retromotors

retromotors

Unless you and Mildred are double-jointed midgets, you might wanna hold out for a sedan. :D
    (And if you are, care to share Mildred's phone number?)

11. Marcy

Marcy

1937 Studebaker has always been on my want list, up there with the Zephyr for art-deco elegance.

Marcy

12. xhotrodder

xhotrodder

13. Automotive Stud

Automotive Stud

I think that Nash has the best lines of the three, although the Stude looks quite modern by comparison to the other vehicles in the old photo.

14. What '37 coupe would I buy?

Desoto.

But it ain't on the list so I'll have the Nash

15. the-rodster

the-rodster

Nuff said....

Attached Files:

16. mendoza727

mendoza727

Terraplane for me please, but still waiting for the 5 window.

17. I like the Hudson Essex Terraplane overall. They each have something nice, but the Hudson puts it all together.

18. Skankin' Rat Fink

Skankin' Rat Fink
    from NYC

19. sololobo

sololobo

I would be stoked with any 37 coupe, they all have great styling and individual features. I just saw a 37 Ford coupe at the KKOA in Salina that was extremely tasty, had one of the most gorgeous detailed flat head v/8's I have ever seen. I agree with Marcy the Zephyr is the deco darling. The feature car on the thread is so sweet, don't those images seem so innocent and dashing times, every dude sporty a tasty Fedora, and the gals with cute headgear and the stylin nicely tailored fit garmets, pre-war bliss. A bold move with a women driving this coupe and the other ladies in the foreground, this was certainly an ad aimed at women behind the wheel. Cool thread. ~sololobo~

Last edited: Aug 4, 2011
  20. Stevie Nash

Stevie Nash

1937 was a great year...

21. terryble

terryble
    from canada

To each their own, but to me the 37 Ford is the least appealling 37's hood to short, roof to high just not quite the 37 Zephyr it trys to emulate. That being said there were a number of really stylish coupes including Nash, Studebaker, Olds (8), Buick, Pontiac, Hudson and all the Chrysler line. By the way Chevy is not that great either.

22. Weasel

Weasel

Great selection of Art Deco coupes but none of the above for me thanks and several orphans missing from the list such as the new for 1937 Willys coupe. However all things being considered, I'll keep my Raymond Loewy designed 1936/37 Hupmobile 618 G coupe....

[​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 4, 2011
  23. bill s preston esq

bill s preston esq

24. Fopelaez

Fopelaez

I think I'll get the Nash, all good looking though.

25. Stude fer sure. Had a buddy years ago that had a 38 Stude president that we rodded. Great looking car

26. ThirdGen

ThirdGen
    from Wales, ME

I am a big fan of all three of these vehicles. Each have there own unique style and look. For me its a hard toss up between the Nash and Stude. I love the grills and front ends of both, and they both have nice lines, but I feel like they are both awkward in the rear (window, trunk lid), accept I do dig the awkward, funky rear window of the Stude, and its also a three window.

Give me a Studebaker Dictator, please. And I'll take some off the top, and have fun manipulating the rear window, set it low, skirt the rear, change the positioning of the headlights (or replace them), and play around with some hood side details, find some diff. taillights, and put some new bumpers and hubcaps.

27. petritl

petritl
    from Marion, TX

Hudson but I'm a little biased.
    My friends 36 Terraplane:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

28. belair

belair

IF the Nash was proportioned the same in real life as it is in the drawing, then the Nash. But I think they photoshopped those pics before there was photoshop. I would go with the Stude.

29. 1951Streamliner

1951Streamliner
    from Reno, NV

Nash!

And oh Mildred.... what a babe!

30. theHIGHLANDER

theHIGHLANDER
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

If I were wealthy enough to build a collection of cars that rock me good, 90% or more of them would be coupes. I love coupes of all makes from the teens, 20s, 30s, all the way through to just past the war. There's even a few from the 50s that get it done. All of that babble out of the way, each of those has something going for it and some unique features that give them an identity. The Stude, the back window's kool but it doesn't work with the rest of the car IMO. Add to that, the quarters behind the doors look too bulky, too much volume there. Each thing by itself, nice. Not together. The Hudson, also too bulky from the cowl back but that's enhanced worse by how small the wheel openings are. Some big Packard skirts and an opening re-work would help. The Nash is the winner in my fantasy garage. The doors/b pillar area is smokin kool. There's so many little subtle features that make it blend. The hood chevrons, the big trunk and that bitchin lic plate light below it, the fender detail at the rear of both fenders, and the skirts in the artist rendering finish it off to perfection. I can see that car done with very few body mods, a bitchin stance with some wide whites and 47 Cad wheel covers, OEM or adapted skirts (as long as the detail lines are kept in the fenders), and a rich dark earth tone color like slate grey, a nice dark metallic brown, maybe even a super dark blue. Might even lose the rear bumper. Hey, you asked...