Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 1950 4 Door Merc Build...Sort Of.....

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by HRod 50, Jun 6, 2010.

1. HRod 50

HRod 50

69f100, why? What do you mean? Good? Bad?

2. HRod 50

HRod 50

Here you guys go... Since the only thing I know about is Chopped salad, I'll let Rick comment on how he's chopping it..

Once again, Awesome RICK! Thank You.....

Attached Files:

3. Trukcrazy

Trukcrazy

Can't wait to see Thor ruling the streets. Rick, from a spectator's position, Thor is looking great. Two thumbs up to you!

4. koolkemp

koolkemp

Wow what a transformation ! The profile looks great, nice job Rick and you must be getting excited shes looking like a car !!

5. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

quite an improvement. the original builder should be banned from the automotive hobby completely.

I could see him if he ever saw the car again telling is buddies ""yeah, I built that car... looks like he changed the interior and added bumpers""

6. enfieldjoe

enfieldjoe
    from Eustis, FL

Must agree that Rick has lots of talent. Great work coming out of his shop and this is another example.

7. Hey i just want to say thanks for all the good comments. To answer a few about some tricks i do on a 4dr chop i will do it here so other can know also. One thing i do to all my merc chops 4DR and 2DR that i do not see others do is i weld the lower part of the rear windon onto the package tray as it makes the rear window more solid. I then make a new cat walk that welds to the orginal cat walk and to the window frame. When done it ties the trunk hinge supports and package tray back together simulare to what the factory did. Another little trick i do on 4dr chops with the center door post. I first ruff set the chop on the A pillar and the back. I then measure how far forward the center pillar has moved. On this on it was 2.75 so i cut 2.75 more towards the rear when measured from the center of the pillar and removed it. Then i swaped sides. When done it looks like it came from the factory like that. Hope this all makes since to most of you. Rick Erickson

Attached Files:

8. I´m liking what seems to be going on with the roof profile around the back door. Losing that awkward curve where the door takes a chunk out of the C pillar. Should look much more coupe-like when done.

9. shoebox1950

shoebox1950
    from California

10. Too right.
    That makes a huge improvement over the norm ..:D

11. x2!

12. I got the right rear quarter window openings mocked up this afternoon so you can see more what the window profile i am after on this chop. Since it will have a working rear vent window i keep the rear window long and sleek.

Attached Files:

13. Looks great, keep going Hugo!

14. HRod 50

HRod 50

So I sneak over to EXK, unannounced, and found out who's really working on my car...

Attached Files:

15. HRod 50

HRod 50

But seriously, look at this detail, and skill.. EXK, is the real deal.. I wish I could show some of the "famously" built cars Rick has that the owners are counting on Rick to fix :eek:...

Attached Files:

16. Thor strikes again! Looks like the roof was hit with a big hammer, for sure.

17. Trukcrazy

Trukcrazy

Pretty awesome worker there. Any updates?

18. This is looking sooooooooo much better than what you started with. I am totally digging the reshaped upper door edge on the rear doors. So often the chopped 4drs still have that tight bend at the top of the rear door and just puts a kink in the flow of the top. This will undoubtedly end up being one of the best chopped 4drs out there. Great job!

19. I know it may seem like the car has been in the shop for a while, but it is looking amazing.

20. Trukcrazy

Trukcrazy

Any updates??? HRod....EXK?????

21. koolkemp

koolkemp

I saw it in the background in a recent post by Rick looked like not alot was done while he was finishing another one...and I am sure Hrod 50 could use the little break to save up a few more $$ ! I cant wait to see an update, this is one of my fav build threads!!

22. fts55

fts55
    from guthrie ok

Just read through this thread, killer build. Updates?

23. HRod 50

HRod 50

Hey All, thanks for the inquiries. I've been super busy with work lately, and Rick with the 2 beautiful cars he had at the the Long Beach was working on getting them ready. I'm sure there will be some updates soon. Rick and I, mostly Rick wants to build one of the greatest custom 4 door Mercs of all time. Radical Rick as some people call him among calling him other things (lol), can be very Radical, and in some of you guys eyes too redical, and I'm more of a tradionalist, as far as look. We've combined to come up with what I think is going to be a perfect combination of Rick's innovative ideas and my late 1950's-60's custom appreciation, and come up with something very nice....

Sorry for the delay on updates but they're coming. Stay tuned......

24. koolkemp

koolkemp

I am definitely looking forward to some updates!:D...get on it Rick!!

25. Sorry people we got a little set back finishing off a few cars for the Motorarma show. That set us back on a few other mercs that we were in the middle of painting. Now thats all cought back up i finally got a break today and skinned in the drivers back half. I moved the rear window forward about 1" but since we are keeping the drip rails and door posts i decided to rework the catwalk area to retaine most of the lower back window revel

Attached Files:

26. GaryB

GaryB
    from Reno,nv

awesome,very very nice.can't wait to see more

27. desotot

desotot

looking very good.I like the shape of the rear door frame.Killer.

28. bonez

bonez
    from Slow lane

Lookin mighty fine.

29. koolkemp

koolkemp

Very nice Rick !! The profile is perfect!!