Register now to get rid of these ads!

chopped top curved glass

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by spooin123, Aug 2, 2011.

1. spooin123

spooin123
    from ct.

looking for it

2. What are you looking for? Be specific..

3. better looking through it.

4. TexasDart

TexasDart

look where you left it last.

5. rocket8

rocket8
    from antioch CA

better find it before it finds YOU:eek:

6. caseyscustoms

caseyscustoms
    BANNED
    from st.joe, MO

awesome thread.

7. maverickman514

maverickman514

I am not sure what the original poster is looking for, but I am trying to figure out what I am gonna have to do to get a windshield in my 56 F100 with a 4 inch chop and widened (to keep pilars straight) roof.... anyone know how to mold lexan?

8. I bought a 3.375 diameter diamond wheel and used it on my air powered cut off wheel. I cut the frond windshield in my avatar 53 ford. you have to keep constant water on it. I had a garden hose in one hand the cut off wheel in the other and lets just say about 45 minutes later i was soaked head to toe! But the diamond wheel cut through real nice. Key is to take your time and lots of water!

9. roddinron

roddinron

Don't trip over it, it's glass, it's hard to see, and it would be a shame to break it, and chopped curved glass is very hard to come by. Get out in that garage and keep looking.

10. roddinron

roddinron

Why would you chop a top and then worry about the glass? I mean chopping a windshield is tricky enough, but WIDENING it!?

11. TexasDart

TexasDart

you have to get one of those glass stretching tools.....kind of like a Glass English wheel. Use lots of water.

12. TomP64

TomP64
    from Vancouver

If you can make a template they can make you glass in any shape you need.

13. ^^^^^^
    "They"????

14. Cheapstreet duster

Cheapstreet duster
    from georgia

lay the template over the original glass...then pour 2 shots of Tullemore dew. drink both of them and then do a rain dance around the said template...hopping on one foot...but make sure its on a tuesday.....
    cheapst

15. FIFTY2

FIFTY2

If you find a place that has a glass strecher, pick me up a board strecher...

16. RichtersRodz

RichtersRodz

Doah! And this is why I never post anything.. Whatever I want to know
    is almost always already been asked. Damn, at this rate, I will never get
    my number up. :)

On topic.. If it is glass, and expensive, then I would probably break it.
    I can't cut a flat piece of window glass perfectly to save my life. I take
    it to someone else to cut.

17. skyrodder

skyrodder

did you find it?

18. Keep looking.

19. maverickman514

maverickman514

got the truck in its current state.... wasn't me that did it, but couldnt resist the deal..... I wasn't even looking for a project, it kinda found me.. but a 56 Effie is a dream truck for me, so I intend to figure this out

20. ugotpk

ugotpk

Not to add any insult to this very technical thread. But doesn't the 56 car and wagon have the same shape windshield but already lower. Hmmm Just saying.

21. darkk

darkk

The only way to get a wider windshield is to cut two windshields long on opposite ends and use a center strip or silicone center line. 56 windshields are not going to to easy to find either...

22. brewsir

brewsir

what makes you guys think he needs a wider windshield or the chop is screwed up??? never chopped a top??? look at the shape of the windshield from the front....it gets narrower as it goes up towards the top.....so if you are going to chop 3 or 4 inches off the top you either have to widen the top or pinch the a pillers narrower...which would really screw up the windshield opening. With flat glass you can do it either way but with a wraparound windshield you have to widen the top to ever get a chance of fitting real glass again (unless you are rich and can just have one made)
    Thanks for the video on the rotozip tool...looks a lot neater than sandblasting and had some good tips there too!

23. Da Tinman

Da Tinman

you dont want to be using lexan on the street, its not legal and for good reason.

Sorry to burst your bubble.

24. gnichols

gnichols
    from Tampa, FL

A buddy of mine is working on a hi-buck 37 Chevy coupe that has been chopped. He's having a windshield made for it some place. I think that route is very expensive, eh? Gary

25. henryj429

henryj429

In the Hagan video, it looks like he was cutting tempered glass from a late model car.

I wonder if the process would be the same for laminated glass???

26. RichtersRodz

RichtersRodz

Yahoo'd.. and came up with a source on Ebay.. From their page..

Tri Valley Auto Glass
    Livermore, California

At Tri Valley Auto Glass Hot Rods are not just our jobs, they are our passion! We’ve been in the Custom Glass business for over 15 years and we carry the most complete line of Curved & Flat Glass along with the V-Bent 1 piece windshields to fit all your Hot Rod Glass, Custom Car glass and Classic Car glass needs. Custom Auto Glass and Vintage Auto Glass are what we do best. Our specialty is Custom Cut Glass for Street Rods and Custom Cars and can even cut down windshields for chopped top installations.

blah.. blah.. blah.. Not promoting them.. just putting it out there..

27. art.flame

art.flame

you can't cut tempered glass it explodes into 1000pieces when your almost done , i know .i',m still finding glass after 10 years:cool:

28. Stu D Baker

Stu D Baker
    from Illinois

The glass in the Hagan video appears to be a late model windshield. He simply wanted to fabricate a smaller glass (maybe for a back window?) for a chopped vehicle. I thought the Hagen video was very informative, although he never mentioned the type of bit used. He mentioned the supplier, when I phoned them, they didn't know what he used. I'm going to try contacting Pete Hagan when he gets back from Louisville to find out more information. Stu

29. brewsir

brewsir

no...it's flat glass in a 37 chevy...cheap!