Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects jmccully's rpu project

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by jmccully, Aug 1, 2011.

1. jmccully

jmccully
    from ms.

I've had the cab sitting in the back of the shop for over a year, and I finally started collecting parts this summer.This is my first project. I've grown up around drag racing most of my life. Most of my family are die hard mopar fans. I like them all though lol! Im 20 now and my plans are to have it completed before i graduate college (23). I've got a '48 ford 8ba flattie and ford 9" rearend I plan to use. I have z'ed the front frame rails 5" and i have a 4" drop superbell axle and split wishbones I plan to use. I was told that the cab is a '26 model but im not positive on that, and it belonged to a farmer that converted from a sedan to a truck with a flatbed. And it needs A Lot of bodywork. This is my first project. If anyone could help me identify the exact yr I would greatly appreciate it!
    here are some pics of what ive got so far.
    the doors:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

That looks like fun.

3. It's a 26 or 27 "T". It could have been a coupe, or a sedan. Whatever you do, don't cut those doors. They're as rare as frog hair. Lots of guys on here would buy them from you, Raven http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/member.php?u=836 is one of the guys I know of that's been looking for doors.

4. jmccully

jmccully
    from ms.

thanks for that info! i had planned on cutting them since this is a rpu, but if someone needs them for what they are, i dont mind selling them and getting a set of true roadster doors. although i dont think I am eligible to list stuff for sale on here yet as i just started posting.

5. Roadster doors won't work with your cowl without quite a bit of fabrication.

Honestly, if you want a roadster or RPU, you'd be best off finding a roadster cowl & doors. Cutting the top off a closed cab pickup, sedan, or coupe very rarely ever looks like anything but the aforementioned with the roof cut off. The open car cowls and doors are quite different.

6. dirtbag13

dirtbag13

hard to tell from your pics but looks like it was a 26 27 coupe ! honestly i'd find the back quarters and deck lid and return it to a coupe , as stated above don't cut those doors up they are hard to find and also as stated roadster doors wont work w that t closed car cowl ! not trying to discourage you just trying to give you some info ! any better shots of the rear panel ? sure looks like the rear window opening for a coupe and the quarter windows in the side ? like i suggest i'd maybe look for the back half of a coupe on here to fix what you have

7. If you stay with your plan to build a rpu, your best bet would be to scratch build the doors. Won't you have to build the back of the cab anyway? Check this place out for parts. http://modelthaven.com/

8. 562roadster

562roadster

Sell the doors. Build some new ones from scratch.

Otherwise, good start.

9. jmccully

jmccully
    from ms.

ok. I see what you guys are talking about now. i just looked through some pics on google and immediately saw the difference. thanks for the help!
    I'll try and get some pics with a good camera tonight and post them up.

yes if i do stick the rpu, i will just have to build a back wall from scratch, and thinking about it now, it wouldn't really be too hard to just make some doors. Surely i can find someone around town to help make the body line at the top of the doors. thanks for that link! I have family that just moved not too far from that town. Gives me another reason to go visit lol.

I believe i shall take this advice lol.
    thanks for the help guys!
    i will get some better pics tonight of the doors and stuff.
    Maybe, you guys can tell me what the doors and cowl are worth. :D

10. jmccully

jmccully
    from ms.

here are some more pics of the doors and the backwall. sorry for the crappy phone pics but my good camera has a dead battery.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

and we had to cut one of the hinges to get a door off. heres the damage we did there

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

and heres some pics of the cowl and its condition:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

and here it is when i bought it:

[​IMG]

11. jmccully

jmccully
    from ms.

if you guys could give me an idea of what the doors and cowl are worth, i would greatly appreciate it!

12. dirtbag13

dirtbag13

looks like its pretty rotten on the bottom ! idk cowls not really worth alot , doors are pretty bad on bottom but still dificult to find maybe $300-350 for the pair

13. jmccully

jmccully
    from ms.

Well I have decided to just keep the doors and find the back of a coupe.

The front axle I have is 48" superbell 4" dropped axle. Could someone tell me wat spindles/brakes (drums) I could run that would be the best bang for the buck?

14. jmccully

jmccully
    from ms.

Bump! for my question

15. jmccully

jmccully
    from ms.

Update: I got the front crossmember tacked in and I broke the plug on my welder; so now I have to wait on a part to come in for it beforer I can work on the frame anymore. :mad: Hopefully the plug will be here before this coming weekend so i can get back on the frame
    Good news is the rear tires came in this weekend after being on backorder for 4 weeks, and I finished painting my wheels. Hopefully going tomorrow to get the wheels mounted on tires.
    I start back college next week so progress will get even slower than it already is, but school's gotta come first so i can get through with it lol
    My goal is to have a complete rolling frame by the end of the year. (slow i know :()