Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hunnert Car Pileup #10: 2 month Warning + Announcement

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Hellfish, Aug 2, 2011.

1. hotrodladycrusr

hotrodladycrusr

WOW, I'm in shock, and bummed, but totally understand a respect your decision.
    My plan this year was to hit Day of the Drags the begining of Oct. I've just made the decision to do the last HCPU instead. Looking forwarded to seeing everyone there.

2. Kansas

Kansas

Like every new traditional hotrod happening, word of mouth fans the flame and spreads the fire. The words Hunnert Car Pileup were first spoken to me by the owner of Red Rooster cycles of Lombard. It was the first show in Morris or #3. I drove down on a Friday night to Fools to see what all the buzz was about...mere words can't describe a living timewarp back to a time of open wheels, bad ass lead sleds and true customs. The people driving these creations were as unique as the cars themselves. My wife claims that the rockabilly scene is where old punks come to die. Myself...I just knew these were the kind of folks I wanted to get to know, build cars with and learn more about the history of real hot rods.

Fast forward seven years later and not only am I lucky enough to wear a Chrome Czar jacket, but I have met the best of what makes this lifestyle great. Other traditional hot rodders. Derby and Pat (a true greaser couple from the day and a inspiration to me) Peter Pan and Old Bob sign (keeping old school pinstriping alive), Cadilac Bob, Silent Rick, Frosty, Cycle Bobbie, the list goes on and on!!!! The Barons, Bombers, BareBones, Misfires, II border boys and every other club across the globe spreading the gospel of cool cars.

Between the music the friends and the cars it doesn't get any better than the Pileup.

Thanks you red shirt army...the best group of friends a club could ask for to make a good show great!

#10 ten will be one for the books.

3. LordoftheDance

LordoftheDance
    from Fargo, ND

The end of a legend! I have certainly enjoyed the years I went as a spectator and Red Shirt Volunteer. The Suedes Car Club has enjoyed helping out every year that we had members there. We are currently trying to get a group together to attend this historic last Pileup. Thanks, Czars, for 10 freakin' great years!

4. BoPeep

BoPeep

Traditional rod shows are definitely time warps. Nobody gets it unless they've seen it. This final year will be killer!

5. Hellfish

Hellfish

There are so many people to thank for all these years. I've had a lot of fun with this show. I think I enjoy the stress... but Pileup weekend always makes a year's worth of work WORTH IT. Rain, shine, or bitter cold... no one complains (much) and everyone drives in. The Pileup has always been for true hot rodders. Sure, we pissed off more than a few people by enforcing the rules :) but we set the bar high... and shows like Vintage Torque Fest and Symco Shakedown and the Meltdown Drags RAISED it with even tighter rules.

I forgot to mention the Cheaters as inspiration. I guess we figured if those screwballs can run a show, so can we! So they deserve some thanks. GO TO THE CHEATERAMA!!

The Bombers deserve a lot of thanks for reviving the swap meet and improving it. We simply could not deal with it anymore... but they could, and they did it well. GO TO THEIR BOMB'S AWAY BASH!!

GMCBubba... damn... that really means a lot.

Yes, there will be event shirts and stickers again this year. Django is working on a special design, and he is also working on a limited edition 10th anniversary poster that will be for sale at the show.

6. modelamac

modelamac

Well Crap!

I HATE to see the "Pileup" go, it was the only party... I mean show I really looked forward too every year...

I've been going to the "Pileup" for the last 5 years... a HUGE THANK YOU goes out to the Chrome Czars for memories that will never be forgotten... well, some of them need to be forgotten, but unfortunately they are stuck with me FOREVER! LOL!

Now it looks like I have to get off my dead ass and start thrashin' on my Olds convertible! I only have 2 months to get a car that's been sitting since the 60's going again!

Oh Hell! I gotta go! I gotta shit load of work to do!

See you in October!

7. davidh73750

davidh73750

2009 my son was born the 12th, 2010 was his 1st birthday party and his mother said she would plan around this for his 2nd. She knows I have been patient and wanted to go. yep the little guy in my avatar.

8. godspeedbear

godspeedbear
    from golden

Last year was my first time at the Hunnert.. Had an incredible blast... I will miss it.

Thank you for the awesome show.

9. indianhead74

indianhead74

Been to most, Loved em, Will miss 'em. Thanks! Chrome Czars. Indy

10. Brandi

Brandi

I've flown in twice for this event and met some of the nicest hot rod folks and now, longtime friends, ever. Czars, you and the Red Shirt Army have put on one hell of a show!

I'm going to see if I can point my roadster east and make the last one! Plus, I love the 3 Bad Jacks and Hot Rod Hucksters!

11. hotrodpodo

hotrodpodo

End of an era...but what an era it has been!!!

12. travisfromkansas

travisfromkansas

I'll be back, since you're going through with all of the trouble of having it on my birthday and all... hell it's only 9 hours each way :)

13. Deadbird

Deadbird

I'm bummed that this will be the last, but totally understand. I've been to every one since it moved to Morris. The Pile Up is by far my favorite show. Sure was glad to finally get the chance to join the Red Shirts last year and will enjoy it again this year.

Make sure you have enough t-shirts, stickers and posters. I have a feeling they will be in VERY high demand!

Thanks Czars! See you soon.

14. Hellfish

Hellfish

HA! We have NEVER gotten that formula right! We either sell out early, or have a ton left over (but none in the sizes people want)... sometimes we get those results and ordered the exact same numbers! :D

15. breeder

breeder
    Member Emeritus

Poster? Awesome!

16. ToddJ

ToddJ
    from Marion, IA

Cool!!! 9 hours? Aw. that's nothin! ;)

17. Hellfish

Hellfish

Just to squash any rumors before they get any further... we are NOT selling, giving away, or otherwise transferring the event or the name of the event to ANYONE. We will retain all the legal rights to the name and its images, but the event itself will be done after October 8, 2011. The Hunnert Car Heads Up vintage drag race will live on though!

People and their rumors! Sheesh!!

18. Choptop

Choptop

i heard Good Guys is buying it :D

/sarcasm

19. davidh73750

davidh73750

ouch but funny

20. breeder

breeder
    Member Emeritus

Well shit! There went my plans for rust revival spring , rust revival fall shows. I had 60 bux saved up already ! :confused: :D

21. mtrhd

mtrhd

Been to the last five, and just want to say Thank You for the best show anywhere, and see you on the 8th!

22. hot-rod roadster

hot-rod roadster
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Omaha Ne.

Hate too see this one end. You guys and Catherine have done such an amazing job over the years, but I can see why and understand the need to end it now and have total respect for that decision.
    Thanks for the memories and hope to see you in October for one last HOO-RAH. Gary

23. hotrodladycrusr

hotrodladycrusr

and the rumor around these parts is BilletProof bought it. :p

24. von zipper

von zipper

Oh well, at least I'm closer to Union Grove!

25. 392_hemi

392_hemi

Sorry to hear the news. But not surprising as it's been a slow drift ever since the show left Sycamore. Guess that leaves Cheaterama.

26. WildWilly68

WildWilly68

I totally respect you guys for ending it on your terms. I've been to the show 6 times and was hoping to have my coupe done for this years show but it is not gonna happen. I will still show up with my clan as always, thanks to all the Czars for putting on the best show I have ever been to.

27. Ebert

Ebert

THANKS to all of the Czars and redshirts who made this show, for a VERY LONG TIME, one hell of a gathering. Some of my findest memories from over the years:
    • Making it to the first one in Sycamore and thinking how effing smart and lucky I was that I got to park in the back of the Marty & Sons lot (after convincing my 12-year old to go with me for "a couple of hours.") Yep....8 hours later, we were "freed" from the back lot. What a blast that was!
    • Sharing a bar with a bevy of new friends at that first crazy-ass event bar in Morris where the bartender was drunker than I was....cost me about $20 for six (who knows) hours of fun. All I remember was somehow getting in line freezing my ass off at the front gate the next morning with no real memory of that Friday night.
    • Watching and listening to the Hot Rod Hucksters at that same bar!
    • Having VonDust hang around late at one event to stripe my chopped A PU...great guy!
    • Sharing breakfast beers with my pal Bill McGuire at our usual space in the Morris lot.
    • Working at the front spectator gate as a red shirt for a few years in Morris and having lines and lines of people and wondering where in the hell they were coming from.
    • Meeting my pal Denise at one of those Morris bars for the first time! What a gal!
    • Meeting my pal Tim Devilbiss (total stranger at the time) and talking traditional hot rods and drag racing for hours at a time...those were awesome times! He is now one of my best friends.
    • Having my sons join our group at the events they could make....what a blast!
    • Knowing that my wife would ask me each October when I was going to that "Hundred Car thing" that I would go to every year and come back a little "tired."
    • Meeting so many cool people with cool rides every year.
    I did not make it to Decatur in 2010 nor will I be able to join you guys in 2011. Enjoy the finale!!!

We should never forget how many of the less fortunate people the Czars have helped through their giving of their profits to others. You guys rule and THANK YOU for giving us some great memories!

E

28. monsterflake

monsterflake

i think i speak for a lot of people when i say, keep your rat rod shit-box and four door grandma cars at home or accept the fact that this show just isn't for you. let's try to keep the last one in the spirit in for which it was intended. just because you can get in, doesn't necessarily mean you should be in.

i'm pretty sure the issue isn't the majority of hamb people that go, but the goofballs that want to be part of a *scene* and and are not really car guys. don't be a dick, head straight the spectator lot and don't make the volunteer's jobs any harder...

29. Irish Dan

Irish Dan

I've been to the last 7 Pileups, and it has been, by far, my favorite event all those years! The Czars have done a great job all those years as well! Though I'll miss it, I'm glad to see it end on a positive note. We'll all have years of great memories thanks to all of those who so unselfishly committed their time and efforts to it. I'll be there for the 10th and last Hurrah!;.....even if I have to walk!

30. What a way to end my favorite show of the year. I'll be turning 40 the weekend of the pileup. Let the party begin. Thanks czars