Register now to get rid of these ads!

History NHRA Junior Stock

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by colesy, Aug 12, 2007.

1. 5w32

5w32

the cragars that sold for $2000 plus are the very early style with the thinner style flange where it meets the barrel, here are two photos to compare.

i have a really mint pair that are wide style and would like to trade for the thin style that my gasser had originally .....

Attached Files:

2. 5w32

5w32

these were purchased in late 68/early 69

Attached Files:

3. f.i.57chevynut

f.i.57chevynut

I think I may have sold those Cragars to the guy with the Camaro. He said that was what he had.

[​IMG]

4. copo69

copo69
    from WV

Sorry but I want to keep the 8 inch Cragars. The only thing is if the slicks have to be pinned I couldn't bear to drill them, I'd use new ones or maybe just painted steel wheels. Anybody know if the older caps will fit the new wheels? That would help the appearance somewhat. My friend had 4 8 inch wheels on a Camaro and may still have the other two but I remember one had a bent lip but still held air,

5. BadNews

BadNews

Don't drill them....it will just give them a place to start rusting....use a radial drag slick, 9.0 X 30 - 15, like my Goodyears. Hoosier also has a tall skinny slick that while not technically correct, looks correct and will run quickly and consistently. AND no tubes required. Do not pin them!

6. DW31S

DW31S
    from Sparks,MD

Thanks for all the nice comments guys. I just got my other Cragars down from the storage shelves and wiped one of them down with a little window cleaner. It was like going back in time! I hate to sound like I'm boasting, but I bought them about 15 years ago (still in the boxes) at a local swap meet for $200.00 with caps and a brand new set of lugs. Then the other score was at Carlisle about the same time. Way up in the far corner of the north field I found a pair of N.O.S. (perfect) Goodyear RWL Polyglass L-60x14. The fronts are re-pro matching F-70x14. I,ve had them on several cars (including my W-31 racer) but due to the age of the tires, they don't get driven too far from home. Until next time..... Dave. By the way, my slicks are NOT drilled and screwed and haven't slipped.

7. Junior Stock

Junior Stock

Other options.
    The new M&H 9.00x15's.
    [​IMG]
    or M/T 29.5/9.0-15
    [​IMG]
    Coat the inside of the tire with Dawn. Mine hold air for 3-4 weeks before I have to put some in.

8. LEW BECKER

LEW BECKER

Skip asay 68 wagon-notice "for sale"sign on car!
    Raceway park news-1972-vol.3#28 cover shot is of joe dougherty in the "tight nuts" 63 max wedge plymouth.
    Bob pagano,im still looking for that photo.
    Ps thanx to those on the site who provided photo tech help a few weeks back!:)

Attached Files:

9. X-TECH MAN

X-TECH MAN
    from Florida

Anyone interested send a Pvt. email to Colesy or Chuck Norton for a great new Jr. stock site address. We are allowed posts on newer cars and S/S cars to current years.

10. AHotRod

AHotRod

PM sent of Colesy .... Thank You for the heads-ups!

11. 67 W-30

67 W-30
    from N.E. Ohio

"Movin on up!! see ya all over there!

12. DW31S

DW31S
    from Sparks,MD

I just signed up, too! I still check in here, but I like the late 60's and early 70's stockers an awful lot. This is a great thread and site and I plan to visit regularly.

13. tommyd

tommyd
    from South Indy

This thread is how I discovered the HAMB. This is THE sight for all things hot rod but, I'm gonna check in on Colseys sight now and then.

14. dirt42

dirt42

Is this car owned by Detier Schmit of the Lincoln Auto Body shop in Middlesex NJ or just raced out of his shop?

15. Paul Ceasrine

Paul Ceasrine
    from Wilton, CT

Is that 66' 273/235HP Commando Valiant running in H/SA...in 1968..
    Anyone know,,,,,,just how many of those 66' Valiants with the
    235HP Commando were built,,,,,,,,,,

Just didn't see many of them,,,,,,,,at least not at the track,,,,,

pc

16. AHotRod

AHotRod

I love your New Forum ! A-1 Top Shelf !

17. Paul Ceasrine

Paul Ceasrine
    from Wilton, CT

I knew I saw this car before,,,,,,1966 Valiant 283/180HP,,,H/SA in 1966
    Mid-Park Chrysler-Plymouth sponsored some good cars.

PC

18. Revenuer

Revenuer

Eddie V. here. Finally found my way back to the Junior Stock area. I found a new book at the bookstore, "Grumpy's Toys". It must have just been published, as it has a 2011 copyright. Photos, captions and some text about Bill Jenkins and all of the cars that he built, drove, tuned, or had a hand in. I had to find the Monster Mash '55's. There are several pages of BOTH cars. Which car still exists and which was totaled in a towing accident. all sorts of neat facts including how they built the 3-speed transmissions and the 265's. There are photos of the Wheatley Bros. cars on the big auto hauler. Tons of great pics of Grump and Dave Strickler and the 409's, 427's. A chapter on the Dodge Boys. One on the Chevy II's, then the Camaro's, up tothe recent years. Save up, it is $ 35.00. But it will be worth it.

I have seen both Monster Mash cars run, at Indy and at Bristol. To this day, I still like to see the Super Stock '55's and '56's run, especially the Randall Klein Nomad. Those modified 265's have a sound all their own. :)

I will be posting more, and adding some photos from my days in the Jr. Stock pits.:cool:

19. AHotRod

AHotRod

Eddie, click here: http://www.colesy-juniorstockforum.com/forum/index.php

20. Tom 57 150

Tom 57 150

I still enjoy this thread of stories and pics of Junior Stockers from "back in the day". I will continue to visit. By the way, Eddie V I am guessing you were associated with Joe Wright and Max Hall?
    Tom

21. WGuy

WGuy
    from Central NJ

Colsey, I think it's great that you created a new website for this topic, but I also think it's a shame that all this history will now be split between 2 sites. I understand the reasons; I'm just lamenting that we all have to check two places from now on. Too bad you can't copy this entire thread and pop it in the new site?????

I'm also very glad to see the thread back to stockers rather than 2 pages of "what my old Cragers are worth"!!!!

Verne:)

22. biscaynes

biscaynes

book was written by member here '65deluxe', 'jrstk' on colseys junior stock site...

23. Islandworker

Islandworker
    from Illinois

Ken Worrell had Lincoln Auto Body on several of his cars. May have been one of those paint job sponsorships. For Chuck and Colesy, I like the new sight but can't get past the color id box at the bottom. Will see you there too, if I can ever get past the validation process.

24. X-TECH MAN

X-TECH MAN
    from Florida

LOL...........on the Crager's:D

25. 56 Pontiac I/SA

56 Pontiac I/SA
    from Maryland

Yes, seems the validation ID box can be a bit of a challenge, but it's sure worth another try (or three). See you over at 'COLSEYS.'

Steve P

26. biscaynes

biscaynes

took me 3 tries....:rolleyes:

27. WGuy

WGuy
    from Central NJ

It took me 4 times. Hard to read those digits!
    So, I guess this is it for this thread. Like I said, I wish Colesy could copy the entire thread over to his domain. Too much rare history left behind here.........:rolleyes:
    God forbid, since he's started a new one elsewhere that the moderator might axe this one.........................:eek:

Verne:(

28. Juniorstocker

Juniorstocker

Geting ready for Flashback Friday! Juniorstockers will be out next Friday at Beaver Springs Dragway in PA.

Hope to see ya there,

Butch

Attached Files:

29. jakethefake

jakethefake
    from fla.

about the LINCOLN AUTO.BODY CORVETTE. it did belong too KEN WORRELL from PHILA. this picture would be about 1971. the shop was in TREVOSE PA. KEN passed away in 1985. he was only 45 yrs. old. jake the fake

30. Stick Driver

Stick Driver

Butch: are you going to Pocono on Sat?? Ron