Register now to get rid of these ads!

1956 F100 economical front suspension?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by bigalow1, Jul 30, 2011.

1. johnboy13

johnboy13

Kanuck, could you post some build pics if you got 'em? Otherwise, some pics of the suspension and wheel fitment in the fenders from th efront would be cool. Thanks

2. charger

charger
    from manitoba

When i got my truck the y-block was not rebuildable, the front part of the frame was twisted, front suspension and rear suspension welded and bubblegummed together, my wallet was empty, the only option was to buy a different frame and rebuild it or start to modify, i chose to modify because it was cheeper!, bought a 89 crown vic for $500, cut the clip off and welded it to the frame, used the rear end and powertrain, wiring harness, steering column and a lot of other components for the build.

3. Actually between Z and myself I am the one that is most normally known as not nice. It falls under the heading of you got to slap a mule over the head with a 2x4 to get his attention.

When my obvious comment of not building it traditional went right over your head he figured he better get the 2x4. It must have worked he got your attention.

There are a couple of things that you will learn real quick if you stay around the HAMB for any length of time. One of them is that if you are going to survive here you will probably have to grow a thick skin. The HAMB has become more touchy feely the last few years but there are still some of us around that don't see the point in mincing words.

The second and no less important than the first is that if you are patient and listen to the fellas that have been around for awhile (meaning that they have paid their dues) you will develop a deep obsession with all things obsolete. If you will listen and build it traditional or to some semblance of traditional you will reach a point that you will want two porches, one to shit on and the other to cover it up with.

Nothing wrong with the little German car but you have not lived until you have driven an old car that drives and handles like an old car. Even your Effie with a properly set up beam and a good stout old school built engine will feel more natural than anything you have ever driven.

Give it a whirl you can always go sissy with it after the fact.

4. bigalow1

bigalow1
    from 496 C.I.

Back to busness:
    I have a donar front clip or front frame section. I am going to cut the existing frame iand weld in the new front subframe. I want the front subframe laser straight and I would like to build a jig??
    i dont see any other way to align the front section with the original frame than to build a frame jig??/
    Am I on the right track?
    How did you guy's align the subframe?

5. zman

zman
    from Garner, NC

I've never used a jig for a subframe, just a lot of measuring, tacking, measuring, then repeat... a nice level floor helps

6. bigalow1

bigalow1
    from 496 C.I.

What did you set the frame rails on? My original frame is straight. Did you use the trainglation method to align the new front section? I have nice flat floor(semi flat not perfect)
    Do you know of any write-ups on this?

7. bigalow1

bigalow1
    from 496 C.I.

'Measuring points" by "DIRTYOLDMAN"
    The thread excellent and has enough information to cover all alignment aspects, frame with suspension or without.

8. zman

zman
    from Garner, NC

Camaro subframes I do very similar to the way Lux does them

http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=148978

Jags like this

http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=24785

But triangulating with measurements to make sure it's square... I tend to measure measure measure...

9. bigalow1

bigalow1
    from 496 C.I.

Thanks I have a camaro and a nice rebuilt one for beer basically. Neighbors, it was T-boned. I am pumped and i will make Lux's way my way -perfect and thankyou thankyou.:) I have always loved the F100's and have wanted to build one since I was 25 and saw a cool black one.
    GOING FoMO with the drive train though!!!!
    I will add my truck to my album Sat

10. Larry T

Larry T

One thing you need to know. If you cut the crossmember out (under the cowl), the framerails will eventually twist and the ears off the frame for the body mounts will sag and throw everything out of whack.
    Larry T

11. bigalow1

bigalow1
    from 496 C.I.

Thanks for the tip!! I am going to study that potential problem and re-enforce with a length of channel on each side ??? Maybe like a frame cap
    I am taking the body off of course so re-enforcing won't be to bad I hope?
    I am checking out Lux's thread

My truck is gutted and dinged up so I'm not ruining a good resto

Last edited: Aug 3, 2011
  12. bigalow1

bigalow1
    from 496 C.I.

"F100 with a camaro subframe-wrong way to do it"

This is a great thread for anybody thinking about cuttin and buttin!!!

13. Here is a '56 F100 frame we built and installed a '03 CV cross member(narrowed).
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

14. George/Maine

George/Maine

Is the crossmember and the spring and a arms all one piece.did it just fit between the narrrowed frame.If so i was wondering if it would work on a 52 f1.Very nice job is it steel or alum.

15. Not Traditional but I have to say VOLARE.
    Notch the frame, boxing plates, steering box already mounted, nice easy swap with adjustable ride height. Did my 56 years ago, used front end, tilt wheel, brake pedal booster assy ,almost like it was made for it,Motor mounts were already in the right spot for the 318 and 904 all out of 76 volare wagon I picked up for 75.00. Disc brakes, power steering, and independent adjustable suspension without cutting the frame in half!!!

16. Question for you on that, how did you narrow the power rack the corresponding three inches that were removed from the crossmember?

17. weldtoride

weldtoride

Didn't see it mentioned yet on this thread, if you plan on dropping the body down a ways, the wheels won't center in the openings (front to Back) unless you change the wheelbase. I learned the hard way on my Buick. So if you go the clip route, you might want to consider this as you make measurements.

On another note, I have a stock '54 F100, Many years ago I opened up 4 used steering boxes to examine the worm gears looking for a box that didn't have a "hiccup" in the middle of the range. All 4 used boxes had worms that were chipped, it seems Ford made them with sintered metal worms. I ended up with a new replacement worm, which looked no more durable. I, for one, would not want to have BB power, weight and speed on that stock little worm gear in the factory box. The rest of the setup is par for the course on a parallel leaf front end, handling aspires to be truly mediocre on a good day, but then again, mine is strictly stock, with a tad more caster.

Midfifty.com has a lot of good info on how to lower and alter this suspension in their catalog, open the catalog pdf and search "lowering" They claim you can get to about 75% of the ride quality of a IFS, course, you gotta buy their stuff.

18. krooser

krooser

I used to have girlfriend with a tubbed front end...

19. mgtstumpy

mgtstumpy

Lots of conversions down under using XJ 6 or 12 Jags front ends with R&P. Really simple.

20. We cut 4 inches from the center of the rack and cut the piston the same amount...........carefully aligned everything and welded.

21. Gearhead Graphics

Gearhead Graphics
    from Denver Co

03-08 crown vic is great. only problem is its super wide and youll need to run a LOT of backspace on rims. Otherwise, cheap, super straightforward install and handles like a dream

22. s-man56

s-man56

I want to use the 2003 CV IFS on my 56 f100 .where can I get the power steering rack shortened? I live in Modesto Ca.