Register now to get rid of these ads!

62-65 Superstock Mopars picture thread..

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by caseyajones, Mar 24, 2008.

1. Wagonmaster2

Wagonmaster2

That's great that Marshall won again after all these years, and with the "old" car!!! A good guy and a hardcore Super Stock racer!! Parked next to him at Gainesville many years ago....One of the good guys for sure!!

2. Big Dad

Big Dad

The ol Teachers Pet is getting a new poweplant

[​IMG]

3. Don't believe they ever made any aluminum parts for '62 Dodge or Plymouth.

4. I just saw this car at a Mopar show, the annual WPC show and shine held at Fort Rodd Hill provinaial park on Vancouver Island, British Columbia. The owner had it for sale as well...asking $33,000. He claimed to have over $65,000 in the engine alone. Which makes it an extremely poor investment...but a VERY cool one!

Attached Files:

5. A few more pics of the same.

Attached Files:

6. One last shot...

Attached Files:

7. Beentherebefore

Beentherebefore

Will it still be a legal NHRA stock elim combination?

8. Big Dad

Big Dad

The basic car itself is just like it was when Jerry Stein won DIV 2 in 1978 along with Car Craft all star honors

The car has been in my family since 1994 , it is now getting a max wedge look alike motor that will not pass NHRA tech

Maybe someday it will but not in the cards for now

9. 383man

383man
    from Md

This is my new 493 stroker with Indy EZ heads I built. It runs and drives great on the street and I hope to get to the track real soon to see if it will break into the 10's as thats what I was shooting for. Ron

[​IMG]

10. Beentherebefore

Beentherebefore

Before that Stein won several of the big NHRA National events but I can't recall exactly which ones anymore. I think it was in the early 70s sometime. I also don't know if that car is the same one that your family has. It was a red wagon if I'm remembering correctly.

11. Big Dad

Big Dad

He only had one wagon, had several 63's and 64's all 2 door posts

Always looking for more pics of the wagon from back in the day

[​IMG]

12. Big Dad

Big Dad

13. Big Dad

Big Dad

How it looks today

[​IMG]

14. buckeye_01

buckeye_01

As long as it has a cross ram on it with something that looks like carter carbs your in. I wouldn't suggest bombing the index though and keep the hood closed.

You could always run a 383! I ran a 383 in E/SA in my 63 Savoy. It wasn't very competitive though. I see George Widuch and Jerry Bennett have similar 62 Savoys they are running. Jerry's is in D and George's is in E. They are running good but those boys have always had hard charging Mopars!

15. thirdstreettito

thirdstreettito

Love this thread. I used a whole box of kleenex to clean up my "mess".

16. Beentherebefore

Beentherebefore

The 383 was a very reliable motor and a good street brawler. The problem with running it in NHRA classes in the mid 60s was that Chrysler over rated it's HP at 330. The slightly smaller 361 4-bbl combination rated @ 305 HP was very competitive in class in '62. I posted some pictures of Dave Kempton's championship winning '62 with this combo on p #38 of this thread, posts #759 & 760. Doug Kahl also had one and won some major NHRA events. The Bennett car you mentioned is actually a 383 with a 2 4bbl (in line) manifold rated @ 343 HP. This combo was a very good class racer (held the B/SA record for quite a while in '62 and '63). It was quite rare, however, and only legal because it was offered as an option in a police package. Someone told me once that it was used by the Florida Highway Patrol in some of their '62 Mopars.

Had your 383 been more realistically rated at about 315 - 320 HP, you would have run in F/SA or G/SA and been a lot more competitive. In the early 70s, Chrysler re-rated the 383 @ 315 or 320Hp, if I'm remembering correctly. Dave Boertman had that motor in his '71 "Rod Shop" Dodge Charger and ran in G/SA or H/SA and went on a tear in NHRA Stock Elim around that time, winning multiple NHRA National events. He also had the same motor combo in a wagon driven by his wife which ran a few classes lower. She won a few NHRA events too, if I'm recalling correctly.

17. Crispy Critter

Crispy Critter
    from Kentucky

<TABLE id=post6771742 class=tborder border=0 cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=6 width="100%" align=center><TBODY><TR><TD style="BORDER-BOTTOM: #e5e5e5 1px solid; BORDER-LEFT: #e5e5e5 1px solid; BORDER-TOP: #e5e5e5 1px solid; FONT-WEIGHT: normal; BORDER-RIGHT: #e5e5e5 0px solid" class=thead><!-- status icon and date -->[​IMG] 07-20-2011, 02:32 PM <!-- / status icon and date --></TD><TD style="BORDER-BOTTOM: #e5e5e5 1px solid; BORDER-LEFT: #e5e5e5 0px solid; BORDER-TOP: #e5e5e5 1px solid; FONT-WEIGHT: normal; BORDER-RIGHT: #e5e5e5 1px solid" class=thead align=right>#425 </TD></TR><TR vAlign=top><TD style="BORDER-BOTTOM: #e5e5e5 0px solid; BORDER-LEFT: #e5e5e5 1px solid; BORDER-TOP: #e5e5e5 0px solid; BORDER-RIGHT: #e5e5e5 1px solid" class=alt2 width=175>Crispy Critter<SCRIPT type=text/javascript> vbmenu_register("postmenu_6771742", true); </SCRIPT>
    FNG

</TD><TD style="BORDER-RIGHT: #e5e5e5 1px solid" id=td_post_6771742 class=alt1><!-- icon and title -->[​IMG] Re: Let's See Station Wagon Race Cars
    <HR style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #e5e5e5; COLOR: #e5e5e5" SIZE=1><!-- / icon and title --><!-- message -->[/ATTACH]

This is my old Wagon from circa 1972 at Beech Bend. Does anyone know its whereabouts today? I sold it late 1973 but my memory has failed me as to who bought it. Time has a way of doing that... I bought the "Critter" from Wayne Dokken in late '71 after he won D/SA at the Nationals with it that same year. She was a hauler in her day w/ 425hp/426c.i.

It was last known to be in Ohio about 8-10 years ago and was painted white and bracket racing. If any body has any info on the car I would like to hear from them. I would like to get it back and re-outfit for Nostalgia Super Stock. Any help would be most appreciated...
    <!-- / message --><!-- attachments -->

<FIELDSET class=fieldset><LEGEND>Attached Thumbnails</LEGEND>[​IMG] [​IMG]

</FIELDSET>

</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

18. 35touring

35touring
    from Kentucky

Great looking wagon Critter. You ever run that at Bluegrass near Lexington?

19. Crispy Critter

Crispy Critter
    from Kentucky

Sure did!! Many years ago, however. I sure would like to find it and install a BIG Indy wedge now that I'm retired I have time to mess around with it. May end up having to build a clone, but really don't want to if I can find the real one.

20. 383man

383man
    from Md

Here is a nice 62 Dart I saw at the track last week. Ron

[​IMG]

21. New Car On its way

Attached Files:

22. Beentherebefore

Beentherebefore

Not my picture, but I think this is early '62 before the candystripe paint jobs.

[​IMG]

23. Beentherebefore

Beentherebefore

24. Beentherebefore

Beentherebefore

25. Beentherebefore

Beentherebefore

26. 4tford

4tford

pic

Attached Files:

27. Big Dad

Big Dad

28. Bill Parsons impecable 64 Dodge now finally has its Max Wedge caburation installed. Runs Awesome!

29. Beentherebefore

Beentherebefore

Looks exceptionally nice & clean. Is it a legal SSer (NHRA)?

30. Big Dad

Big Dad

It could be with the right powerplant ..:)