Register now to get rid of these ads!

Salina!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by BOERNESTAGE, Aug 1, 2011.

1. BOERNESTAGE

BOERNESTAGE

Well we got back from Salina about 11:00 yesterday morning after leaving Martinellis italian restraunt after dinner Sat. night. I really want to express how well this show is run and handled and how much fun we had at all the events we hit. We drove up from San Antonio and hit the show on Friday after having to stop at Dels alternator and starter repair in downtown Salina to get the generator fixed on my freinds t-bird. From the first stop to our last in Salina, it just was all about what small town america should be. These guys at Dels are the real deal and know their stuff and really treated everyone that was in there that day like a part of their family that had come to visit them in the middle of the summer. I got to meet Jeff Myers who i had been stalking here on the hamb for years and also got to talk to Brad , Alex , and Johnny over working on the merc roof chop. I also met Dakota Wentz who brought out on heck of a custom '56 truck and he also treated me like an old frieind, even though he had never even met me. I just wanted to rant a little about all the good stuff this show has goin for it and let everyone know who might be on the fence about making the drive, that it is one of the best times i have had at a car show in many years and i look forward to coming every year from here on out. Thanks again Kemps and whoever else is responsible for putting on such an outstanding show!

2. straykatkustoms

straykatkustoms
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Crap!! Your were another HAMBer that I wanted to meet. Your wagon is one of the
    koolest. Looked good cruising through the grounds. Titus and all of his merry men
    did a great job and I can't wait until next year. Kool to hear that you had a good time.

Happy Trails, Mick

3. Screenz

Screenz
    from Texas city

Nice meeting you! it really was a awesome time!! I ended up leaving at midnight tried to leave while it was still "cool" outside lol

4. BOERNESTAGE

BOERNESTAGE

nice meeting you also, really loved your car , how was the moose lodge we ended up leaving at 9:00 sat night also and drove straight thru so it was a little cooler! i am so glad i went it is always nice meeting new guys to hang with , talk to ya next show!

thanks mick for the kind words! this wont be the last you see of us we will hit another show that you guys will be at real soon and i will make sure i find ya!

5. 54delray

54delray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Fremont NE

Another one discovers that "Nothin could be finah' than to make it to Salina". It was a treat to see your way-cool wagon and that 61 Bird was top notch too.

Get this, Sunday morning, we were just hanging out, checking out the smaller crowd. KKOA V.P. Blain Kauffman comes by in a golf cart. Doesn't intro himself as any big shot or nothing. Just says he is from the complaint department, and wanted to know if there was anything he should hear about. Pretty cool!! I know they do listen and change some things. Look at the concrete barriers at the drags. You never saw them a few years ago. Also last year, a lack of trash cans at Oakdale. Lots better this year.

After he left, a friend says "that was cool, you wouldn't see that at other national shows"

Anyway. look forward to seeing more of your Texas brand Kustoms in Salina in the coming years.

Bill

6. Every time I had seen your wagon on Saturday, it was not in a position to get a decent picture of! I love that car!

7. BOERNESTAGE

BOERNESTAGE

thanks bill! for those reasons this show will stay very special.

8. 51Merc-98Ag

51Merc-98Ag
    from Texas

Does anyone know which cars won awards? Being a rookie, I would like to know which ones they honored - there were a ton of kool cars out there and I don't know how they could possibly pick from the litter - I was unable to stay for Sunday, as my family that traveled with me got worn out. I know my car is not an award winner, but it would be kool to see which ones were!

9. wizzard23

wizzard23

I'd like to know too' also who got inducted into the Hall of Fame?

10. straykatkustoms

straykatkustoms
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Cliff Starbird and Gary Gerbeding, sorry Gary if I miss spelled your name...

11. 54delray

54delray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Fremont NE

Awesome! I was hoping Gerbs (Gerberding) got the pick. He and Liz are Kustom thru and thru. Salute! Congrats to him and Cliff Starbird.

12. hot-rod roadster

hot-rod roadster
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Omaha Ne.

About fainted when I saw your wagon in Austin this year. Was so cool to see it again in Salina. Gary

13. hartman601

hartman601
    from Tulsa, OK

good to see your wagon, my wife liked it and she is a tough critic. the blue truck was mine. We got spectacular leadsled something or other, and the hub harness HOF pick. The studebaker truck won the 777 award from what I understand.

I think jeff's caddie won a HOF award too

Last edited: Aug 1, 2011
  14. BOERNESTAGE

BOERNESTAGE

Thanks gary for the compliments. Can someone explain whats a hof pick?
    The wagon won best trick paint or something along those lines. Thanks
    Again for the kind words fellas.

15. straykatkustoms

straykatkustoms
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Basically it is someone that was elected into the KKOA hall of fame picked your
    car for an award. It is a very kool honor. Kongrats!

Happy Trails, Mick

16. Screenz

Screenz
    from Texas city

[​IMG]
    Woo Hoo!! If anyone has any email info for Gary I would appreciate it!

17. BOERNESTAGE

BOERNESTAGE

That is very badass, well deserved , great car bro!

18. vulpro

vulpro
    from Chicago

I loved your wagon as well... got a few pics of it and then saw it at Martinelli's Saturday night!

Attached Files:

19. The hall of fame members at the banquet each had a pick and gave out a trophy.

20. Flatblack49

Flatblack49

Congrats to Gary Gerberding, I worked for Gary after college, he showed me the way of 50's customs and hotrodding. One of the greatest people to work for. Congrats Gary and Liz.

21. straykatkustoms

straykatkustoms
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I have Gary's phone number if ya want it. Let me know and I will pm it too ya. Kongrats
    on winning the Diehard pick. Your Sedan is just over the top Purrfect, Very Kool!

Happy Trails, Mick

22. wizzard23

wizzard23

CONGRATS GERB!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Its been a long time coming and very much deserved. Liz too!