Register now to get rid of these ads!

60'-70's Vintage Oval Track Modifieds

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by john56h, Apr 11, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dr. John

Dr. John

That Troyer Pinto pic (in post No. 10786) with the silver tape on the doors... By the looks of the yellow helmet, I'm thinking that may not be Maynard in the car.

Any idea why the tape was on the door panel?

2. Terry1

Terry1

Looks like it may be renumbered #8. Maybe the tape was for recognition for a scorer ? Just a guess. Ganassi will paint his Target rear wing different colors.

3. JBull

JBull
    from NY

Was curious about the tape myself. Did not notice the possible change to the #8 or the yellow helmet myself at first glance. Definitely does not look like Troyer. Sonny Seamon perhaps?

JBull

4. racemad55

racemad55

Brian grew up in Saranac Lake, N.Y. a "student" of Wes Moody, Brian just rebuilt my vintage Frankland rearend for my Deuce roadster-pickup project. Top shelf mechanic,fabricator,wheelman !

5. JHed82

JHed82

Another Monza at Trenton.

Merv Treichler prepares for his time trial laps.

[​IMG]

An original photo by the original photographer, Jack Hedstrom

6. JBull

JBull
    from NY

Thank you for sharing your original pictures, Jack.

JBull

7. JBull

JBull
    from NY

Some more pictures of Charlie Jarzombek I've collected over the years. The last I have on the offset coupe with the big red 1 before Charlie went to the red, white and blue 1....

Charlie warming up at Riverhead in the white coupe...I believe Joe Krukowski or one of the Ambrose in the black coupe (normally #711)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

believe this has been posted before...on the dirt....

[​IMG]

a lighter moment....

[​IMG]

a Fred Smith photo I purchased....

[​IMG]

and another

[​IMG]

and another

[​IMG]

a John Barrick photo

[​IMG]

at Dover behind the 380 of Gary Winters...

[​IMG]

at Dover

[​IMG]

At Dover with Ray Hendrick in the Tant/Mitchell 11 and the #5 of ?

[​IMG]

in victory lane

[​IMG]

another checkered

[​IMG]

a street legal replica of the Charlie J Coupe....

[​IMG]

seconds before the big crach at Dover when Charlie tore the fence down...I believe that sequence has been posted numerous times, if someone wants me to post it let me know....

[​IMG]

8. Flyin'Brian12

Flyin'Brian12

56 is Moyer. Ralph Holmes was #82

9. kegablues

kegablues

Dr. John: great films of the old Buffalo civic stadium. I can vouch for the no yellow flag at civic stadium. My oldest brother bill started taking me there when I was five years old. Cars would be wrecked all over the place and the race continued. The drivers would climb up into the grandstands and people would run down to get theier autograph. I can remember seeing it so bad that they had to zig zag their way through and if they couldn't get though anymore a red flag was out and the tow trucks would come out and clean the mess up. Also no one was allowed to sit in the first five rows of the grandstands because tires would fly up there. One of my brothers buddys put his baby blue ford coupe on its roof in those first five rows above the starters stand. No yellow, I only saw green, red and checkers. When I got home I would take a ribbing from the rest of the family, they said I looked like a racoon because I had black circles around my eyes from all the burnt rubber. God! how I loved Buffalo civic stadium.

10. ssffnomad

ssffnomad

#93. Owner Jerry Rose, near Albany/Saratoga. Drivers over the years, Lou Lazzaro, Ed "the Knob" Penizeck, Denny Giroux, and who else ? Pics taken off the NYS Stock Car Hall of Fame board inside Saratoga Auto Museum.
    [​IMG]
    Legendary Starter Chet Hames, any more info ?
    [​IMG]

11. 00paperboy

00paperboy

Pretty sure Pete Corey also drove the Rose 93 for a short time late in his career, around 1970.

12. jeembo72

jeembo72
    from Webster NY

John, They ran the modifieds there during fair week during the 60's. The last time they ran mods there was around 78- 80 with Danny Johnson taking the win. My dad always said that Monroe County fairgrounds was some of the best dirt/clay around. The track no longer exists there is a Wegmans super market parking lot there.

13. cfl7171

cfl7171
    from Western NY

Not sure what size track was there 30-40 years ago but now there is a 1/4 banked clay track that just held a 600 cc Micro Sprint race a few weeks back during the fair. A very racy track.

14. jeembo72

jeembo72
    from Webster NY

The track was where the wegmans is now. It was a 1/2 mile. They built the small one outback bout 5 years ago.

15. Indy Bones

Indy Bones

Ah, you can take the boy out of Long Island, but you cannot take Long Island out of the boy. Today in the Cup garage at Indy, I ran into Tom Baldwin Jr. and Eddie D'Hondt, the former Modified driver who now spots for Kyle Busch. So what did we talk about? The upcoming Brickyard 400? Nah! We talked about Islip Speedway and Charlie Jarzombek!

16. JBull

JBull
    from NY

Two great subjects. I started going to Islip when I was about 4 or 5 years old in the late 60's. My parents had been there a few times before, but not since my sister and I came around. Fortunately, a new family moved in on the block in my Grandfather's old house and they were race fans. They put the bug back in my father's ear and off we were to Islip. The new folks were Jim Hendrickson fans. They were decked out in their blue jackets and blue and white hats and their Hendrickson pins (remember those). After all they told me about Gentlemen Jim, I thought I would be rooting for him. Hendrickson was certainly cool with his one hand driving style, but some hard charger in a neat, low, white coupe with a big red one caught my eye. As I watched him charge through the pack all the way to the front from the very rear of the pack, I was hooked. So was Pop. Charlie Jarzombek was the man. I eventually joined his fan club and got the embroided red jacket with the patches. (Still have it...my 10 year old son wears it to the races when we go). My sister staryed a Hendrickson fan for a while, but finally switched over to Charlie. My Mom was undecided but finally settled on a fair haired boy with a big smile, Teddy Wesnofske. Either way, we were all hooked on racing.

Before long we were there every Saturday night. We starting sitting in the same seats and made a ton of friends. We got to the track before the gates opened and I became the runner for everyone. All the people around us would give me their blankets. As soon as the gates opened I handed in my ticket and took off for the grandstands to put the blankets down on everyone's seats. We sat next to Slim and Bobby Boerner who were big Jarzombek fans. They both drove sand and gravel trucks and new Charlie from driving trucks. Bobby's son Rob told me his dad would stop out at the farm and talk with Ricky and Charlie about the cars in the barn. Bobby used to flip them a couple of bucks when he could for tires and such. (In a small world scenario I ran into Rob a couple of years ago as his wife turned out to be my daughter's piano teacher). He pulled out a couple of photos of him as a kid sitting inside of Charlie's coupe in the barn. I'll have to see if I can borrown them to scan them. I used to sit next to Bobby's brother Slim a lot as his wife and son were not big race fans and seldom came. He gave me many of the newspapers, programs, and magazines that I cut up for my scrapbooks and have posted on this site. On occassion when there was an extra seat, he would take me along with him to the big races at Trenton and Pocono. What a thrill!

At Islip we sat on the top row, half way between the fourth turn and the starter's stand. A perfect vantage point. A wide seat with a plywood back to lean against and a view of the pits and the midway (that was once the dragstrip). A little loud in the non muffler days. I remember going to school after the first All Star 300 with my ears still ringing not being able to hear what the teacher was saying. We didn't miss a week until the track wars started around '75 between Freeport and Islip. As Jarzombek fans we went with Charlie and took the longer ride to Freeport. Teddy Wenofske went to Freeport as well so Mom was happy. In '77 we returned to Islip even though Charlie did not. Thankfully he came back in '78.

I was obviously partial, but to me, Charlie made the show. Unless it was a time trialed event, Charlie was starting last in the field just before the consi qualifiers. And it was exciting to watch him charge up through the field in a 25 to 35 lap event. Charlie was Mr. Excitement way before Jimmy Spencer came along.

Good times and Charlie J was the man.

JBull

17. JBull

JBull
    from NY

And now back to some more photos....

I missed this early one from Ed Appoldt. I wonder who has Ed's photo collection, that would be a nice collection of photos to look at!

This is Charlie's first of many victories at Islip back in 1968...it's amazing how packed the grandstands always are in these old photos

[​IMG]

I've received several e-mails requesting Charlie J's crash sequence at Dover....here is what I have on it....

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And here is a grainy newspaper clipping of the complete 20 frames by Dave Innes

[​IMG]

18. hugh m

hugh m
    from ct.

Were there any other offset cars at Islip, I seem to remember a severly offset coupe, (first one I ever saw like that),gold and black number (maybe) 36? We were Danbury guys, so it was neat to see the overheads run...

19. JBull

JBull
    from NY

And on to the coupe years and the famous red, white and blue #1...

this is one from Dr. John I believe

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

in the pits at Islip with Billy Spade in the 15x corvaire and Fred Harbach in the X89 Camaro

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

on the track at Islip battling Gene Siuzdak in the #25

[​IMG]

on the starting grid?

[​IMG]

not sure where either, but another packed house

[​IMG]

battling the "I" Corvaire of Tommy Kulesa at Islip...Charlie looks like he's a little sideways

[​IMG]

another checkered flag

[​IMG]

battling Roger Treichler #74 at Langorne I believe

[​IMG]

20. RPD

RPD

First time i saw Charlie was at an Allstar race at Riverside park
    Simply amazing how he ran a short track

21. JChimbolo

JChimbolo
    from Madison CT

I would like to get an SK lite. This is really the only shot at doing it, and it is still expensive. If I can get one next year and get out on the track, then it will be cool as all hell to just be out there. I would love to win, but there are SK guys who can't foot the bills of the front runners either. Yes there are a lot of kids out there. But some are darn good drivers. And no matter how much money you spend, you still need the talent to use it. The only problem with the kids is, they don't have the mortgage to pay. So the only thing that matters is winning the trophy. And I don't have the energy to rebuild the car all week.

The number of posts on this site really shows that current racing is missing something. There was some kind of magic in the 60s-70s. But the current modifieds are still the best show in town, next to the super mods.

22. CoolHand

CoolHand
    Alliance Vendor

They still exist, they're called IMCA Modifieds. Still based off of American made passenger car frames and front suspensions, still have to run iron block American made engines, and simple enough that most folks can figure them out.

No awesome old coupe bodies though, 'cause it's a lot cheaper to form the body work out of flat stock than hack up a classic car to steal its skin.

Easier to fix too. :D

23. shamrock 3x

shamrock 3x

Dr. John,

I agree with you on the bodies. I can't tell one from the other, although some look "swoopier" than others, I guess. Don't even get me going about dirt modifieds...god awful ugly things!

24. kegablues

kegablues

Dr john, I believe that is Bucky Bucholtz (car owner), number 7ny, painted black. His driver was Roy Campbell who was also a very popular driver at Buffalo civic stadium. I believe Ronnie lux also drove for him. Anybody got any early photos of Ronnie lux? Also I would love to see photos of Bill Rafter in the white #22 Gill bruss coupe. I have attached a photo of Bucholtz that was done in silhouette form in a 1973 four score fan club yearbook.

Attached Files:

25. kegablues

kegablues

Sorry to hear about Bruce Fleishmans passing. If anybody has any photos of Bruce driving that red and white number 99x coupe please post them here for all to enjoy. He was one of my favoites at Lancaster speedway in the early 60's. R.I.P. Bruce.

26. CoolHand

CoolHand
    Alliance Vendor

Well, there is a reason, steel bodies are heavy. Nobody is going to give up 200 lbs to the next guy just to make his car more fashionable.

Looking good only goes so far.

I saw a fellow who had skinned an old dirt modified (northeast modifieds that run the big blocks and the wing bodies now) with the body of a PT Cruiser.

It looked awesome, but he said he'd never ever do it again, because it was so much work (to get the skin off the OEM unibody structure), it was heavy, and it didn't generate any downforce.

Bag on those IMCA tires all you like, but $90 a pop is a damned sight easier to swallow than $250 a shot like those steamrollers you're pining for.

The narrow tires make it hard to put down too much HP either, so it becomes less important to have the absolute strongest engine.

I agree though, they don't look like the old ones, but you're not going to get back the old racing by putting Honda Civic skins on the new cars.

27. Zoera

Zoera

Go for it. There's lots of quality modifieds out there for sale cheap. Put in a crate motor and take it to Waterford...they run them once a month. If they get more cars, they will probably run more often. Just don't bank on making money. Good luck

28. Dr. John

Dr. John

I don't think you get my point and I am not going to beat it to death here. If everyone had to use stock/factory sheetmetal, then they wouldn't have to "give up 200 lbs. to be fashionable." Frankly, IMCA Modifieds do nothing for me -- even if they are cheaper for the driver or owner. They just don't turn me on. Period. The sport of stock car racing became so popular because (as opposed to Champ Cars and Midgets) they resembled stock (factory) cars and people could relate. If people can't relate to what's on the track, your sport shifts from a spectator sport to a participant sport and you might as well remove the grandstands.

How did we get started on IMCA Modifieds on a '60s-'70s Vintage Modified thread???

29. leadfoot4

leadfoot4

Although I wasn't born in Rochester, I've lived in the Rochester area the greater portion of my life. My father's employer transferred him to Rochester in the beginning of 1958, shortly before I turned 6. My father took me to the races at the Monroe County Fairgrounds for several years, until the people who built/bought houses directly across the road from the backstretch, began to continually complain about the dust and noise to the town of Henrietta, where the track was located. The town, in turn suspended the weekly racing program around '64-'66, to the best of my recollection.

As "jeembo72" mentioned, races continued on a "once a year for the county fair deal" for several more years. The last time I remember seeing a race there, I know I drove myself and a friend or two. I must have been at least 18, since I didn't take "driver ed", therefore didn't have a "night license" at 17. Consequently, it had to have been 1970...

30. Willie41

Willie41

Hey there Cool Hand, I've been keepin this under wraps but That's what I'm putting together for an SST modified is a PT Cruiser bodied car. So far it's lookin real good. If I knew how I would post a pic but sorry I don't.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.