Register now to get rid of these ads!

'54 Chevy Vent/Heater Info

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by hotrod54chevy, Jul 31, 2011.

1. hotrod54chevy

hotrod54chevy
    from Ohio

Ok, guys, I spent all day tinkering with the old girl and I realized one thing: It's hot out!! And my car's black with tinted windows and vinyl interior! So, as I'm trying to clean up my under dash areas and fix any grommet/gasket troubles I have, could you guys help me figure out what parts I'm missing?

I would eventually like to install AC, but until I can save up for that I'd like to get the most out of the (stock?) parts I have now.

Starting from the driver's side, I have a "V" knob with part of a cable attached to it. Then I have a set of controls, looks like this:

[​IMG]

Next, an on/off toggle switch that was mounted into the radio opening (?) that I'm going to put under or in the dash. Is that the blower switch? Under the middle of the dash is what I'm assuming is a blower, to the right of which is my heater box.

There is a vent opening on the passenger side, but the cable is disconnected, so it has to be moved by hand. Last long trip I clamped a dryer hose to it because there's no hose going to the grill. That got punctured by an engine mount and is getting dumped. It looks like there may have been a vent on the driver's side by the steering wheel, but that was plugged with a fusebox. Once again, I have no idea what was stock and I'm trying to get some of it back to a stock or at least working condition. So, do I just need a new vent hose and cable? Are there any other parts I'm missing or forgetting that're important? ANY help would be appreciated into keeping her from being an oven on wheels! Thanks!

2. hotrod54chevy

hotrod54chevy
    from Ohio

No one can explain to me what a stock heater/blower can do? Will the blower cool the car at all if I add a vent hose and reconnect the control panel?

3. Your heater blower won't cool your car. If you put valves in the heater hose lines you can shut the hot water off. You have fresh air vents on each side of the car. Cable pulls are on the out side of the dash at each corner. In the 54's I've had I got most of the cooling from those vents and from the vent windows . Just my opinions.

4. gas pumper

gas pumper

fresh air on both sides. the dryer hose sounds like a good idea. The hoses need to go all the way to the radiator support where there is a screen. The little flapper doors can be worked from under the hood if the cables are gone.

This fresh air dosen't go thru the heater, but it still helps to put a shut off valve on the water line near the pump is easyest.

5. Slick Willy

Slick Willy

There were hard tubes going to both sides with cables attached to the summer winter lever, the on off switch is the little half lever on the top...sounds like someone put a later model set up in your car....the tubes go up to the screens next to the radiator you can see them in my pic
    [​IMG]

6. 54metalman

54metalman

Ok. The toggle switch and the blower in the middle of the car are not stock. There are tubes that go from the cowl/firewall to the grille on both sides for fresh air vents. The knob on the drivers side is correct for the left side. The right is controlled by the dash panel. The lever that says summer will work that cable. The very top knob that looks like its split upper and lower is the orig fan switch. The lower half of that is what was used to open and close the flap for the right side vent and air intake for the heater box. Second or middle knob would go to the lever for the defrost which is just to the left of your heater box on the rectangle shaped tube that comes out. There is a flap in there that goes from floor opening to defrost tubes. The bottom is for the temp valve which would be just inside the firewall to the right of the heater box.

I would move you fuse panel if you can and get a hose with lots of insulation on it has it will heat up with under hood heat. Then you can do the same for the right side. Next is just open the vent windows. They will crank out to the point of scooping in fresh air. Other than that make sure you have lots of insulation on the floor cause its freankin hot out here.

7. 54metalman

54metalman

Hey you guys can also go with 12v electric wipers really easy by using a 55-57 chev car motor. Same cable for on off and its a direct bolt up. Just put power to it.

8. hotrod54chevy

hotrod54chevy
    from Ohio

I'm grateful for the help, guys! Yeah, the heater control seemed like it might be/might not be stock. Reminds me of what my dad had in his '71 Nova. I have no vent hoses leading out to the radiator brace. The passenger side one is just an opening and the driver's side is completely blocked off with the fuse box mounted over it. Only way I've been able to close the pass. side vent is by hand. Dryer hose didn't do anything but get a hole knocked in it. Guess I need at least one new vent hose. May be time to get some heat insulation!

9. wetatt4u

wetatt4u

The original vent tube is made of metal with insulation inside of it ,

about 5 to 6 inches around and runs like everyone else has said

from front radiator support to the firewall ,

Maybe better to fix one up made out of big PVC pipe and painted flat black.

Just one vent WILL BLOW a lot of air....

10. hotrod54chevy

hotrod54chevy
    from Ohio

Ok, since my heater's toggle switch originally went under the dash (?) I'm going to look for a predrilled hole to mount it in since it's kinda just dangling there now. Previous owner had it in a radio opening! Does anyone know where it went stock? It's just an on/off toggle switch. Thanks!