Register now to get rid of these ads!

Pertronix for 55 Caddy

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Rolling Daddy, Aug 1, 2011.

1. Rolling Daddy

Rolling Daddy

Looking at buying a Petronix unit for my Caddy. Has any one used one before? Are they any good? I have only just come across them and there seems to be allot of mixed reviews. Its the unit that bolts inside your distributor and replaces the points.

2. shocker998md

shocker998md

You will get the same here, some love them some hate them. I like them, but I keep a set of points in the glove box incase I break down in BFE.

3. xlr8er

xlr8er

I have a set in my coupe and 3 other old cars. I've been converting all my cars as they need them. I've never had a problem with any of them.
    Hope this helps!

4. phoenix5x

phoenix5x
    from Ohio

Works in my 55 chevy truck...Just dont leave the ignition on without the engine running or the pertronix will burn up and you will be just fine. Nver had a problem with any of mine.

5. Racewriter

Racewriter

I'll never change points again. It made a whole new engine out of my 390.

6. coolbreeze1340

coolbreeze1340
    from Indiana

I like them but others will swear they are garbage. I agree with shocker, keep spare points for emergency, roadside repairs.

Last edited: Aug 1, 2011
  7. sqhd

sqhd

Works great in my Skylark, just make sure you never reverse the wires to the coil, don't ask how I know.

Carl

8. GMC BUBBA

GMC BUBBA
    Member Emeritus

My vote is also , run em !! They work good and we have used , installed hundreds of them.
    Some advise :
    1-Use a 1.5 ohm coil and never use the electronic low ohm coils with the pertronix Ignitor.
    2-Make sure the distributor has a good ground and the wiring is correct to the coil.

Then your set for a lot of happy motoring......

AND THEN (i got to ask ) why are you installing a module in the car to start with.?? Is it running bad ? Do you feel you need more spark?
    You cant beat a good set of contact ponts in a old orginal engine...........
    I had rather see you spend the money tuning up what you presently have . New plugs , cap rotor and good carb etc....

9. I've run them for quite a while with no problems. Made a noticeable difference after install.

10. kustomsrule

kustomsrule
    from L A

I run 'em in my '59 Ranchero (with a 390) and my '66 Subaru pickup (with a two-stroke). Easier starting, smoother running, and a slight bit more power. I'll run Pertronix in everything I buy. I think there's a problem with leaving the key on while the engine's not running but don't remember.

11. Been running one for years now with no problems. Reliable as hell.

The original Ignitor will burn up if ignition left on and motor not running. Ask me how I know!

The Ignitor II has a built in safety so it will not smoke if ignition left on, so make sure you get that one.

And as GMCBubba said make sure you use a 1.5 ohm coil with it. Don't use one of those lower ohm coils..................ask me how I know!

I finally just bought the Ignitor II and a Pertronix 1.5 ohm coil (a complete Pertronix system) and everything works just fine.

12. Rolling Daddy

Rolling Daddy

Thanks for the advice, I just bought one from ebay http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI...891327&ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT#ht_3500wt_754
    I just like the idea of never having to change points again :)
    Plus I have only just got the car and found some burnt wiring under the dash. This seems to go to the ignition so I guess a rewire is needed anyway.
    The car has stuff all spark when cranking and is hard to start for obvious reasons.
    That leads me to ask another question are all early GM points the same????
    Thanks again

13. I have one in my 26 and its older than dirt, works PERFECTLY!! Follow the advice given above and you will do fine. 1.5 Ohm Pertronix coil, oil filled unless you have issues with extreme vibration, then go with the epoxy filled. {You get a roo caught up in the wheels, that'll give you some vibration} 26

14. KoolKat-57

KoolKat-57
    from Dublin, OH

I have had one in my '57 for 16 years, no problems!
    Follow the directions!

15. jrsiron

jrsiron

I have sold several petronix kits, the only problems have been when they get the wires to coil backwards.

16. Rich Rogers

Rich Rogers

Mine has been in the 55 for 5 years with no trouble. I can't be the only that has experienced much faster starts and better mpg. Double tunnelram with 2 500 Edelbrock 500s , no chokes and it starts hot or cold on the 1st time around almost every time.