Register now to get rid of these ads!

Chevy inline 6 HEI distributor

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Redbows35panel, Aug 1, 2011.

1. Redbows35panel

Redbows35panel

Bought a new HEI distributor for a Buddies (I think it's a 235) Chevy inline 6 a while back. Now his mechanic says it's a half inch to short. Is there a difference in these units or is the mechanic full of it?

2. dbradley

dbradley

Post the 'numbers' on the distributor. One way to do this is to 'machine' the later 250 unit to fit the 235. Maybe they skipped a step and the flange is still there. Another way is to adapt the internals to an original case, no machine work required (drop in) If you google 235 chevy HEI there are lots of pics, etc on the mods.

Last edited: Aug 1, 2011
  3. Snarl

Snarl

If its a stock large cap HEI, then its from a 250/292, and without some modifications to it, then yeah, it won't fit a 235.
    The flange needs to be ground off, and the tip needs to be shortened and re-profiled. You can reuse the clamp collar from the 235, or make your own setup using a 2 piece lock collar. Just put it next to a stock 235 dizzy, and it will be obvious what needs to be done.
    There is a couple posts on here about how to modify them for use in a 235.
    There are also a few vendors on Ebay that sell new ones that are already modified for use in a 235.

4. Rich Wright

Rich Wright

Why not just use a Pertronix unit inside the stock distributor. They work very well and cost about $85.00. It's what I used in my 261 and it's been completely trouble free.

5. GMC BUBBA

GMC BUBBA
    Member Emeritus

Yep too long and the collar needs to go away...........:eek:

6. Truckedup

Truckedup

15 years ago I saw a 250 inline HEI modified to fit a 235 or GMC inline.Being I'm a hilly billy mechanic, I used a hacksaw to cut off most of the flange. Then finished it off with a file.The original machined area on the dist body will locate it ok.Then the shaft needs to be shortened about 3/8 inch and the tip re done ,again with hand tools Like mentioned,use the a modified stock retainer or make one,or buy one. I made a bunch HEI's of these for my own use and sold some,no complaints.