Register now to get rid of these ads!

Sbc getting gas/spark but wont run.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by oldblue1968chevy, Jul 31, 2011.

1. oldblue1968chevy

oldblue1968chevy

A year ago I rebuilt a 350 sbc hei dizzy. I put a thumper comp cam in it, comp double roller timing chain/sprockets etc.

A few weeks ago I fried my module in the distributor, I had an extra so I swapped it in BUT I put bearing grease on the bottom side of the module...everything worked good for a few weeks (its my DD).

Until this past friday I was comming home it died I coasted to a stop and got a ride home (only like a mile from home by now).

Figured it was the module so I got a new one, still nothing.

I get fire, and im getting gas. But it wont run/hit.

HELPPP

Thanks

2. low budget

low budget
    from Central Ky

Small hole burnt in center of rotary button?

3. oldblue1968chevy

oldblue1968chevy

rotory button, the rotor I assume?

I had it out multiple times didnt notice a hole...it would have to be super small.

Im at the end of my rope, Gfs dad suggested maybe it jumped time?

4. 48 Chubby

48 Chubby
    Member Emeritus

All engines need the same thing to run
    1-Air
    2-Fuel
    3-Compression
    4-Properly timed hot spark
    "fire" When checking spark at the plug remember "red is dead, blue will do, white is all right, and fat is where it's at.

5. oldblue1968chevy

oldblue1968chevy

gotta get air (had breather off temporarily)

getting fuel

shoudl be getting compression (pretty much new motor)

properly timed spark?,,

Hmm i'll have to try to remember the saying

whats fat>

6. lexington

lexington

Did you check the pickup coil in the dist.Ihave seen those work good enough to produce a weak static spark when cranking put not enough to fire engine. If you havent checked you may also have fouled plugs from cranking and pumping fuel with no fire. I have also seen bad module damage the coil

7. oldblue1968chevy

oldblue1968chevy

No, im sorta new to distributors (i havent had to mess with them yet) whats the pickup coil look like exactly (sorry).

I have 2 coils I'll swap em tomorow and see what happens i'll write down pickup coil and see if haynes manaul has a testing method

thanks keep it comming guys

8. Joes50

Joes50

If it's the pick-up coil you might get away with unhooking your vacuum advance hose to get it to fire. When the vacuum advance rotates the pick-up coil it will cause it not to fire. You'll need a Ohm meter to test it stationary and then while the vacuum is applied and the plate moves.

9. lexington

lexington

Joes50 is right about unhooking the vacumm line. The pickup coil is located in the bottom of the dist. Its has two wires that plug into the ign module.sometime you dont even have to test as youll see one of the wire broke or damaged

10. sheltonfab

sheltonfab
    from Mo

Fat is getting a good healthy amount of fuel, lean is a salad bar at a steak house

11. oldblue1968chevy

oldblue1968chevy

I'll go look in my book and try to start it with no vac adv

12. oldblue1968chevy

oldblue1968chevy

Didnt start with vac adv unhooked

I tested the pickup coil i believe its OK

13. low budget

low budget
    from Central Ky

Did you look for the small burnt black hole in the center of the rotary button?
    Ive had that happen to me a couple of times years ago.

Is your rotar pointing towards #1 plug wire position with the #1 cylinder up on tdc.
    (check the actual piston threw the spark plug hole on the front driver side to make sure its up on top dead center) and/or
    with the timing mark also up on tdc on the harmonic balancer to make sure its on compression stroke.

Last edited: Aug 1, 2011
  14. vacuum leak? make sure all the holes in the carb and manifold are plugged and your hoses aren't split.

what do the plugs look like? wet and black? or dry and grey? whats the gap

Maybe ignition timing. Try turning the distributor while you crank to advance or retard the spark and see if anything changes.

15. 37gmc

37gmc
    from upstate ny

put a vacuam gauge on it , crank it , look for cranking vac. if no vac or no needle movement at all , check air --- in , out , exhaust plugged?

16. tommy

tommy
    Member Emeritus

If you have a good spark why mess with the distributor? That must be working right.

I'd be concerned about timing. I'd check the rotor position after the thumb in the spark plug hole. I've never had it happen on a Chevy but I've had a couple of different engines jump time while driving.

Ya got gas compression and spark the only thing left is timing as I see it.

17. oldblue1968chevy

oldblue1968chevy

18. oldblue1968chevy

oldblue1968chevy

I forgot to plugt he module back in, it was a burnt (less than 1 year old msd rotor)

Gonna try to get some $ back on that or something!

19. I went through all that earler this year. Turned out to be the pin that holds the dizzy gear had sheared. Wasn't turning.

20. DD COOPMAN

DD COOPMAN

Soooooooo......we gotta guess, or what? Is it runnin', or NOT? DD

21. oldblue1968chevy

oldblue1968chevy

It runs, thanks alot guys

Turned out my less than a year old MSD rotor button burnt a hole in it and wasnt putting all the spark to the wires, alot was grounding. The module was fine but its gotta new one in it now lol

Im running vortec heads on my 355 flat tops 9-1 compression pickup truck. I have some champion sparkplugs. I wana put new plugs in it, what should I use?

22. pokey

pokey

I had the same problem as you. I found out that if you are running a MSD you need a special bushing in the cap under the coil where that round rubber disc is The bushing has a spring on it. I think they call it a low resister bushing. If you don't use one it (the bushing) will fail on you.

23. Engine man

Engine man
    from Wisconsin

I worked with some guys who liked to play tricks on each other and one pulled a couple of plug wires off the others 74 chevy pickup. He couldn't get it started to go home. Burned a hole through the rotor. The original 60,000 volt HEIs would burn a rotor if the plug gap (.060) got too wide or the wire resistance got high.

24. ironpile

ironpile

Ck the rotor and cap for carbon tracking. It could be several things but this is how you learn to troubleshoot.

25. oldblue1968chevy

oldblue1968chevy

what does carbon tracking look like? (it seemed to have some red dust on the coil) and black maybe on the insdie of the cap?

26. Willy301

Willy301

Autolite plugs will do the job, Champions have gotten really cheap, had alot of bad ones out of the box.

27. Willy301

Willy301

arbon tracking will be a black powdery dust, will actually form a line around cracks, but if enough of it builds up between 2 contacts, it will actually carry some of your spark away to split it between the 2 contacts