Register now to get rid of these ads!

Gt -40p heads - need help

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by davidwilson, Jul 31, 2011.

1. davidwilson

davidwilson
    from Tennessee

Anyone know of a company that builds block hugger headers for these heads that will allow the spark plugs to be taken out normally - going in a '64 falcon sprint

tried sanderson, patriot & hedman - they all say theirs clear the plugs, but none do

i saw the name of a company somewhere that builds the headers i'm looking for but i can't recall the name

thanks in advance for helping

2. Deuces

Deuces

Try Ford power parts..
    They're on the net!
    They have a set of stainless steel shorty headers that will fit those heads...

3. TexasHardcore

TexasHardcore
    from Austin-ish

A friend has a Mustang with a 302 & GT40P heads, he has Dynomax Blackjack headers and shorter spark plugs and 90-degree boots. It clears everything fine, but he has to loosen the header to get one of the plugs out.

Hedman 88400 Headers will work, but you need to reroute 2 of the drivers side tubes to clear the steering shaft. Ford Racing has a set of stainless shorty headers for Fox body Mustangs that are made for the P heads. I think MAC also makes a set that clears GT40P plugs. Maybe BBK makes some? Probably best to buy some cheap headers and do some work to them to clear everything.

Another option is to sell the P heads and get some regular GT40 heads or upgrade to aluminum heads like TFS or AFR.

I was in the same boat with a 351w. I was going to put GT40P heads on it, but opted for some worked over E7TE until I can afford some TFS heads.

4. willys_truck

willys_truck

I have patriot block huggers on my 302 with GT-40P heads in my 65 f100 and they clear without any problems.

5. moefuzz

moefuzz

I agree with Tex, sell the P heads and scrounge pick n pull for a set of cast GT-40 heads from an Explorer.
    The regular GT-40 heads don't have issues with plugs/headers like the GT40P heads.

And since they are now easily found at pick in pull, you can save a ton of headaches and header $$ by opting for the non Police heads.

Deuces likes this.
  6. I have gt40p heads and the Summit private label which are Patriots and they do clear the plugs. The gaskets that come with them won't work. If you need more info, send me a pm.

7. Are block huggers your best choice? Shouldn't some regular length headers be a better choice?

8. 90LXdiaz

90LXdiaz

try ford racing shorty headers! from what i know, theyre the only ones that fit the gt40p

9. HealeyRick

HealeyRick
    from Mass.

10. davidwilson

davidwilson
    from Tennessee

thx, guys - FRPP was what i was looking for - it was in the ford forum

11. 34rdztr

34rdztr

our shop built a custom set of headers before we found the ford racing headers, the ford headers are supposed to clear the spark plugs

12. flatheadpete

flatheadpete
    from Burton, MI

What Explorers have the GT40 heads?

13. I think they changed mid year '96. I have an engine from a '95 with the GT 40 heads. I was going to use it in a 65 fastback but opted to go with a 347 and AFR185's

14. willys_truck

willys_truck

Here are pics. 65 f100 302 HO with gt40p heads, patriot block hugger headers.

Attached Files: