Register now to get rid of these ads!

Is your Hot Rod legit?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Jive-Bomber, Jul 27, 2011.

1. Ricky B

Ricky B

Pull over !!!

[​IMG]

Attached Files:

2. When I built my 29 I put turn sigs, 4 way flashers, licsense light. brake lights, seat belts, hi & Lo beams, horn, rear view mirrors, about everything saftey related you can imagine. Got pulled over on my way to a cruise night by a county patrolman. He asked to see my insurance card. I showed it to him and he said I was good to go. I said thanks and he said nice car, I said thanks and he asked if he could look it over. I jokingly said " offically " and he laughed and said no, just curious. As he was looking it over I realized I don't have a wiper on the car. I was also concerned about the height of the windshield but he never said a word about either. The next day I looked up the height minimum for a windshield in Wisc. and was suprised to read that all it has to do is sufficiantly protect the driver. I always thought there was a minimum 10 inch law ( mine is 7 " ). I will have to find a way to put a wiper on it though, that will be my next thread. Anyway, I think I'm pretty much legit as far as all the saftey stuff is concerned. After all, I take my Grandaughters for rides so my decision making when building cars has changed.

3. kbuhagiar

kbuhagiar

None of my rides are 100% legal, due to the fact that none of them have a front license plate. Missing front license plates used to be a fix-it ticket, but recently the law changed so now there is a fine ($100? - not sure), plus you still have to get a police officer to sign off on it.

To make matters worse, in a burst of revenue-enhancement brilliance, local municipalities are encouraging their on-duty officers to cruise all large parking areas (shopping malls, etc.) and cite any vehicle without front license plates.

Wonderful. I guess I better find all of my front plates and start putting them on.

4. CA. 280

CA. 280

Have a friend who rides motors for the CHP in LA. True biker, has to wear long sleeved uniform shirts to cover his tattoos. If you want to ride in his area without a helmet he won't stop you. However he and his friends are absolute death on rat rods. From experience they know most are dangerously unsafe and pull over everyone they see. Finished cars are a different story, though he has been known to pull a nice car over just to check it out.

5. Every time I've been pulled over and ticketed, the cop had me dead to rights - except once. There was snow from one of those wet April storms covering the speed limit sign on a four-lane street, and I was doing 45 in what seemed like a 35 mph zone. As the cop was ticketing me, I told him that the snow was covering the sign and since it was a four-lane, I thought it was 45 mph. I even pointed to the next sign up, where snow was just sliding off the sign warmed by the rising sun, as I showed him the example. He still gave me the ticket, but said he'd go back and look at the sign behind me afterward.

I went to court a month later to plead my case to the judge because I thought I had a good case. The cop was there, too. And as the judge called us forward to hear the case, the cop stepped up and explained what had happened, said he indeed did go back to look at the speed limit sign and concurred that it was covered with snow. He withdrew the ticket and said, "You were right to contest this, but now you know to drive more slowly down that street."

I've been working a lot with law officers in the past 12 years, and truly appreciate their honesty and earnest efforts to make our streets and highways safer.

6. 39cent

39cent
    from socal

Riverside Ca. 1967

Once got pulled over on my Triumph cub after a little dirt riding. The local cop asked where my rear view mirror was, I pointed to it under my throttle [a dental mirror]. And then he spotted my rubber bulb horn. He looked at me and shook his head. Then he asked me to turn on my lights, well it was a Triumph, and of course the lites didnt work. He started to write, and then he kinda smiled shook his head, closed his book an said, 'there isnt much light left so you better scoot' , 'I will be lookin for ya'.

Last edited: Jul 29, 2011
  7. afaulk

afaulk

The Big Guy with the hat and mirrored shades asked me "son what are you doing, driving this race car on my highway"? "Fortunately sir i have not marked your beautiful highway with any of those unsightly black marks. When you turned on your siren, I was just about to pull onto the shoulder and install some plugs on these darn leaky exhaust pipes. With your permission of course. " "Son how fast will this thing go anyway", and what the hell is that thing sticking through your hood? Uhh------. Boy thats too fast. Now you better not even let me hear this thing when you leave here! Do you understand? Yesssir----yesssssir thank you sir.

8. Bilt

Bilt

Wow....I'm glad I live in Kansas. Some of these laws you guys are talking about are crazy. My cars are legal by Kansas standards but would probably be seized in some states.

Law Enforcement Officers are exactly that....they enforce the laws. The laws are made by people who are voted to office and come up with some crazy ideas to protect people from themselves. By reading this I would say Kansas has done a great job on how we elect our politicians because we have pretty friendly laws to altered/hot rod speciality vehicles.

9. slammed

slammed

Yes, proper papers (!) and not LOUD. Don't party (anything) ever. So they got to nail me on infraction's. Nice, straight-up law men are rare today. Same goes for the general population.

10. mgtstumpy

mgtstumpy

Yep. Where I live you need to be a member of ASRF (Australian Street Rod Federation) to get limited or full registration. Your vehicle is required to go through 3 x tech. inspections prior to registration. Our mandatory tech. process goes further than US voluntary NSRA Vehicle Safety Inspection Program, required -v- recommended -v- safety. 100% pass or no registration, easy as that.

11. flatoutflyin

flatoutflyin

I'm completely legal as far as paperwork is concerned. Legit titles based on legit serial numbers, current registrations, current insurance cards in every car. Ohio can come down really hard for bogus numbers (like seize your car and take it or cut it apart looking for other numbers). I do run front Ohio YOM plates now, but they don't really bother you here about it. I have turn signals, but use hand signals most of the time unless I have someone behind me who has been driving aggressively or it's night. I make sure all my lights work so as not to call attention to my car, but I don't have wipers. If you drive reasonably, have a half way decent looking car, and gray hair, they don't hassle you around here. I've only had one experience recently with an unreasonable cop. A county sheriff refused to call the OSHP to verify the fact that I was allowed to drive a salvage vehicle to and from the inspection station without a plate. He kept me by the side of highway for half an hour while someone at the office researched the law, even though I had the proper permit in hand. Gray hair didn't help that time, and I missed my inspection appointment with the OSHP. They were cool and fit me in anyway.

12. Ob1

Ob1

Reminds me of the ticket I got for having a valid registration...

Pulled me over, asked for license/registration/insurance, I gave them to him and he went back to his cruiser. Comes back, says my registration stickers are wrong.

I went back to look at this, since I had just renewed the registration. They are permanently coded with the tag number, did I accidentally mix up the stickers with ones for another vehicle?

Nope, all the numbers matched up.

He pointed out that my month sticker was sun faded, and stroked me a fat ticket. Then he literally got in my face and asked if I had something to say...

I told him that new month stickers arent sent with registration renewals, only the year sticker. I also told him I dont register complaints with underlings, I go straight to the top of the ladder to take a leak, and the the fluids fall where they may.

Went home, raised t-total hell with the sheriff, next morning the sheriff and that officer met me at work, where the ticket was torn up. I couldnt resist asking him if he had anything to say {he had been totally silent}.

Every other time I have been pulled, it was for a valid reason, and I was treated well by the officer whether I got a ticket or a warning.

13. After serving for a year overseas, I was home for some much needed leave. Of course, the first thing I did when I got home was pull my 54 tudor out of the barn, dust it off and take it for a spin around town.

I had just come from a pretty intense situation overseas and two guys in my unit were killed just a few weeks before and I'd also had to do some things that I won't get into here. Needless to say....I was pretty keyed up and needed some down time.

This was a tiny little south Texas town of 1,200 people with just a couple of cops. While I was away, one of the cops quit and they hired Barney Fife to replace him.

After some excellent, stress-relieving time behind the wheel, I'm about 300 yards away from my parent's house and the local cop pulls me over. He comes up to the window....I ask him what the problem was and he tells me that I am a "suspicious vehicle".

I say, "really?.....that's what you pulled me over for?".....he says yes and I just chuckled, rolled up my window and drove away.....leaving him standing in the middle of the road.

He runs back to the squad car, turns on all the lights and sirens he can find and gets right behind my 54, which I'm driving at like, 15 mph.

I turn into my dad's driveway, exit my car and start walking to the front door and barney gets out, draws his weapon and gets behind the door....like in the movies....and starts yelling at me. I just walked into the house, shut the door and sat on the couch.

My dad comes out of the bathroom, just getting dressed after a shower and asks me what the hell the commotion is outside, so I tell him the story and he steps outside the front door and says "dammit George, turn off all that damn noise!" He then walked up to George and reads him the riot act and George drives away.

My disclaimer is of course, that this was REALLY stupid on my part and that you should always comply with a cop's instructions, but you gotta understand....I was bit tweaked in the head and wasn't thinking as rationally as I should've been.

However....it's always made for a great story, and I thought I'd share it with you guys.

14. texas rattler

texas rattler
    from texas

the 3 times in my life i needed or wanted their help they said they couldnt help me or just didnt show up. the rest of the contact with cops has been c.s. tickets. i have no use for them .

15. OldsRanch

OldsRanch

My Stude is a 53, and for Ohio, they had a single rear plate for 1953 ONLY. It was the 150th anniversary of Ohio statehood (1803 to 1953), the front plate was either a generic sesquicentennial (?) front plate, or a county plate. Had a vendor at the Springfield Swap Meet explain it to me, since I'd only been able to find single plates for 1953.

I've not been hassled yet about it, but I imagine that my luck will run out eventually.

16. Pive

Pive

Got busted when I was 17 in my Olds powerd Model A roadster in Yountville, CA in 1963 by a CHP for being an 8th of an inch too low.....

And still, to this day, my opinion is; the best California Highway Patrolman is a dea......nevermind...

17. rallisracing

rallisracing

I don't get pulled over in my hot rod anymore...roadster is loud, no wipers, no front tag...it must be the gray hair.

18. Got pulled over in a small town outside of Louisville, where I live. I got pulled over for not wearing a seatbelt, which I was wearing a lap belt. The young officer want to give me grief and tried to tell me that my car was not compliant due to the lack of seat belts in the rear and only having lap belts in the front. I had to explain to him that in 64 when the car was built seatbelts were an option and told him of the law that states if it was built before a certain date it technically does not even have to have belts in it and that I choose wear what the factory gave me.....needless to say he had to check into before he could let me go and found out I was right, which didn't make him happy. Since he could not give me a ticket for the seatbelt issue, he gave me a ticket for the shrunken head hang from my rearveiw mirrior. I completely understand that the cops have a job to do, but getting hassled for something I am actually doing right is bogus, then to ticket me just because I was right about the seatbelt issue is just plain cold.......

19. hotdamn

hotdamn

lets just say that I have been pretty lucky.

I dont want to jinx myself;)

20. hotdamn

hotdamn

damn jj what kinda riff raff do you hang out with that would encourage such unscrupulous behavior?

21. FritzTownFord

FritzTownFord

I didn't read all the replies because they are similar. I've been stopped for minor stuff a few times by my local PD. Accurate, but petty IMO.

But my gripe in my small tourist town is that EVERY Harley in the state roars through here night and day all summer long (I live in town) - And 90% of them are running loud non-stock pipes. I can hardly have a conversation in my own back yard many days. And the cops never stop any of them.

I like bikes (and owned many) as much as anybody, but 200-300 HD's are too much for any small town.

Yeah,

22. Ratroddude

Ratroddude
    BANNED

23. D-fens

D-fens
    from Huntsville

I got a fix-it ticket for having a louvered license plate. DMV office made me buy a replacement plate. Got another fix-it ticket about two weeks later, from the same cop, for having the replacement plate pinstriped.

Got pulled over in MD (IIRC) for not having a front plate. Told the cop where I live (AL) you only have to have a rear plate. He radioed in to verify this, then wrote me a warning for illegal lane change or something.

Got pulled over in Huntsville AL for not having a tag on my tow dolly. Trouble is, AL doesn't require you to HAVE a license plate on a tow dolly. When I pointed this out, he smiled and wrote me another one for no tail lights.