Register now to get rid of these ads!

1931 ford coupe chop?????????

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by rancidboys, Jul 30, 2011.

1. rancidboys

rancidboys
    from carson

im looking to chop my 1931 coupe just dont know how many inches to do the chop????? can you guys help me out with some pics to get some ideas thanks ..

2. I'd suggest searching Model A's here, seeing what you like, then posting a pic of it and asking the board how much chop they think it is. These cars have been chopped from 2-10" and it really comes down to personal preference and practicality. For me, I like about 4" no more than 5" without imparing headroom or vision. But a lot of people go 6-8" and drive them on the street. Also, if you channel it, that will really impact how much you chop it too. Tell us more about the style/era you are looking for and we can help you more with your question.
    Welcome to the HAMB, you should do an intro.

3. VoodooTwin

VoodooTwin
    from Noo Yawk

Photochop it to get an idea of what it would look like with various chops.

4. It really depends on many factors. Cars that are dropped over the frame can look good with 4'' or even more removed. Un-channeled, full-fendered cars look better with less of a chop, or none at all.
    I took 3'' out of my son's full-fendered Model A 27 years ago and I now wish I had left it un-chopped. This is just my opinion, of course.

Attached Files:

5. edcodesign

edcodesign
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

See if you can sit in one you like at a show, and find out how much it was wacked.
    A lot depends on your height, seat height, etc. My opinion is if it is chopped too much you get tunnel vision when driving.

6. Heres mine with a 3 inch chop.

Attached Files:

7. cruzr

cruzr

Mines about 4 1/2

Attached Files:

8. 63dan63

63dan63

I cut 5 inches out of mine. If I could have a do-over, I'd do 4 1/2.

Attached Files:

9. Harms Way

Harms Way

This one is only 2-1/2" chop,... I thought it should be more,.. but it ain't my car.
    [​IMG]

10. Hotrodbuilderny

Hotrodbuilderny

Also depends on if you are channeling it or not,IIn the 70's I had a model a coupe I chopped 7, and channeled 4. I am 6 ft, I bolted a 67 camaro seat to the floor, and
    if I hit a bump I bounced my head off the roof.Looked great, I had a blast,but I was 20, now I think 3 1/2 -4 Tops

11. adam401

adam401

[​IMG]

4-3/4". I run a stock seat frame and have enough head room Im like 5'-10" tall). This is an old pic before the roof insert (which makes it alot harder to see traffic lights out the front but very street driveable none the less)

12. I took 4 & 1/2" out of this two door. I would not go less than that on an A. I think it is just right. Good Luck!

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jul 30, 2011
  13. billthx138

billthx138

I recommend 4 inches.

Attached Files:

14. HotRodHighley

HotRodHighley
    from cincy, oh

I cut mine 5". I like heavy chops though and I really thought about cutting another inch out of mine

15. I did 5" but if I did it over 5 1/2" or 6".

Attached Files:

16. 4 always looks good, less is not enough. 5 if you want a really hammered look, more is usually too much. IMHO

17. Russco

Russco
    from Central IL

4"-5" on a model A frame looks really good I think 6" on deuce rails looks really great if you are not too tall to fit in it.

Attached Files:

18. scrap metal 48

scrap metal 48

There's a lot of threads on here with chopped 'A' coupes.. You should get some idea of how much chop you want.. Besides, chopped 'A' coupe threads are fun to look at.....

19. rancidboys

rancidboys
    from carson

thanks alot guys on the pics and info...

20. rancidboys

rancidboys
    from carson

i tried searching threw the threads and just a few cars popped up thats the reason i decided to start this thread

21. rancidboys

rancidboys
    from carson

thanks for the pics russco..well thats my issue im a tall guy 6 feet 2 i dont want to over chop my coupe and not be happy with it...but i couldnt pass up the deal on this coupe to i took it i will post pics soon... its a 31 coupe and deuce rails its a runner 350/350 combo 9 inch rear end kiwi connection frame but the roof is uncut and by giving his coupe a hair cut it will give it a different look

22. rancidboys

rancidboys
    from carson

yea ive seen them chopped from radical to just 2 inches like you said...but i dont want to over chop it im a tall guy

23. rancidboys

rancidboys
    from carson

well im 6 feet 2 i dont want to chop it to much and get bored of the car cause i cant drive it... the car has the look right now but just needs a hair cut

24. rancidboys

rancidboys
    from carson

love your car seen it a local shows...

25. I_am_who_I_am

I_am_who_I_am

Here is my buddy's '31 with a 4" chop. He has a middle seat out of a Dodge minivan, he's 6'1" or so and has enough head room to drive comfortably. [​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using TJJ

26. Russco

Russco
    from Central IL

Im 6'0 and not what you would call a thin guy. I too have the 90's Caravan seat and I still have a few inches of head room mine is chopped 4 1/2 IIRC however there are alot of stoplights I cant see. (mines the Blue one I posted on a stock frame) seat position package tray and steering column arrangement all play into it too.

27. rancidboys

rancidboys
    from carson

you guys have pics of the seat....did you guys do any modifications or anything to the seat for it to fit

28. I_am_who_I_am

I_am_who_I_am

The '31 has a tilt column, no package tray, and the seat is on risers from my '57 Suburban front seat. My buddy used those risers because the mounted flat on the floor and they were lying around my shop. The seat is about 3-4" off the floor. This is the best picture I have of the interior on
    my phone. [​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using TJJ

29. billthx138

billthx138

Im using a glide seat mounted on home made riser. With the seat tracks it is about 1/2 inch off the flat floor.I too removed the package tray and with the seat all the way back I cannot reach the firewall with my toes stretched all the way out, I/m 6' and will have more than enough head room even with the four inch chop.

Attached Files:

30. Forddraggin

Forddraggin

I did 5 inches on mine wish i would have went 4 to 4 1/2.depends on how you like it,radical or not