Register now to get rid of these ads!

bench top drill press, am I going to break it?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 1950coronet600hp, Jul 29, 2011.

1. I've got access to an older bench top drill press, I have to bore a 41/64 hole 16 times, and use a 1" 90* countersink on 8 holes, the holes have to be about 1.5" deep and the counter bore must be .5" deep. am i going to overload this thing?

2. dabirdguy

dabirdguy
    Member Emeritus

Not if you have sharp drill bits and bores and take your time.

3. drill really slow and use alot of oil .

4. matt 3083

matt 3083
    from Tucson, Az

Make sure your drill is set to its slowest speed.
    You want a speed less than 500 rpm. Use oil.
    Matt

5. k will do, its my girls grandmas press, she will kill me if i break it.. 500rpm got it cutting oil.. gotta get some...

6. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Depends on the quality of the press. I have already done more and harder with that with mine, and it has not even whimpered. Who knows what it was doing before I got it, as it was #1 off the assembly line at the Walker-Turner plant, in 1947. Use lots of oil.

7. 28chevrat

28chevrat

Take your time, oil oil!!

8. You are going to want it even slower than 500 rpm for that size bit about 200 and feed it realy slow.

9. Why is there no oil already sitting there from the last time(every time)the drillpress was used?

10. Will the bit even fit in the chuck?

11. got to measure the chuck, and if i have to i will have the bit cut down to fit, and i will step up to the 41 / 64ths

12. krooser

krooser

patience young grasshopper....patience

13. and yeah i plan on going as slow as i can, ill never hear the end of it if i break it, I wont have anything else planned that day lol

14. Ole don

Ole don

I bought one of the cheapy off shore benchtop drill presses in the late 70's. On the first hole the motor gave up. I welded up a bracket to put on a clothes dryer motor, about 1/2 HP, it was three times the size of the original. It has been in regular use since.

15. handyandy289

handyandy289
    from Georgia

Drill in steps. Start with about a 3/16 bit and work up to the 41/64 in about 3 steps. Make sure that the work is clamped securely to the table and as has been mentioned many times on this post, use lots of cutting oil. Good luck.

16. gas pumper

gas pumper

What's the material you are putting the holes in?

17. How would you do that? May need a silver and deming bit(reduced diameter shaft).

18. MeanGene427

MeanGene427
    from Napa

If it's anything like my ancient alien-head Craftsman, it's still tight as a drum after many, many holes, nothing like some of the newer stuff. It doesn't get used much since I got the Bridgeport, but I definitely wouldn't spend money to replace it with a "newer model"

19. mj40's

mj40's

If it were mine, I know it would break. :D

20. Thats the real question -

21. rainhater1

rainhater1
    BANNED
    from az

Check out the run-out with a dial indicator, nothing worse than an egg shape hole

22. Kevin Lee

Kevin Lee
    Super Moderator
    Staff Member

What material are you hoping to cut? Size of the machine? What is it's slowest speed setting? Are you buying new, sharp high end bits or is 41/64" the measurement because that's what you found in your girlfriend's Grandma's junk drawer?

I don't feel like you've even given half of the information needed to make a guess.

23. TomWar

TomWar

That is the way to drill that large a hole.

24. Kevin Lee

Kevin Lee
    Super Moderator
    Staff Member

...and the perfect way to kill the cutting surface of three good drill bits. You need a proper sized pilot hole, the correct speed for the bit size, and the right cutting fluid for the material you are cutting.

25. 61falcon

61falcon

its grandma's drill? thats a pretty cool grandma!

26. mj40's

mj40's

27. bobscogin

bobscogin

You're going to have trouble.

Bob

28. drilling through a steel hub, brand new bits... they wont be after i am though with em lol... while we are on the topic, 41/64ths because thats the size closest to .005 smaller than the knurling of the wheel studs i am using.

29. Kevin Lee

Kevin Lee
    Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Hmmm... drilling hubs? Sixteen holes? I smell an import. :)

In all seriousness you may be better off finding a dedicated machinist forum to get the particulars. I feel like drill speed is going to be key over everything else, and if Grandma's drill isn't capable of going slow enough I'll put my money on you not getting a single hole finished before the bit is wasted.

30. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Or going from Ford 4 on 4-1/2 to 5 on 4-1/2. No need to drill hole #5.